Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens with eye infection

az_guard
August 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I posted the message below at the end of another thread but I'm starting a new thread with this hoping that will help in getting a response. Here's my problem....

I'm a soldier stationed in Iraq. We recently discovered some kittens, I'm guessing about 3-4wks old, near where we work. The mother cat is still there at times but not all the time. There are 6 kittens and about 3 of them are getting pretty bad eye infections; One of them has both eyes completely shut at this time. They're eyes seem to get red and puffy at first then swell until they're closed with a layer of junk on them. Being in a war zone I'm not to sure there's much in the way of veterinary services here. I'm looking for some advice on some kind of drops I might be able put in their eyes to help with these infections and any information somebody might have; ie: how serious this is; how long before there might be some permanent damage etc.
I have three cats of my own at home and just hate to see these kittens with this problem.
Thanks for the assistance.

Karin
August 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I posted the message below at the end of another thread but I'm starting a new thread with this hoping that will help in getting a response. Here's my problem....

I'm a soldier stationed in Iraq. We recently discovered some kittens, I'm guessing about 3-4wks old, near where we work. The mother cat is still there at times but not all the time. There are 6 kittens and about 3 of them are getting pretty bad eye infections; One of them has both eyes completely shut at this time. They're eyes seem to get red and puffy at first then swell until they're closed with a layer of junk on them. Being in a war zone I'm not to sure there's much in the way of veterinary services here. I'm looking for some advice on some kind of drops I might be able put in their eyes to help with these infections and any information somebody might have; ie: how serious this is; how long before there might be some permanent damage etc.
I have three cats of my own at home and just hate to see these kittens with this problem.
Thanks for the assistance.

First, Thank You for doing what you do, to all the troops. You are putting your butt on the line for me and mine.

If you can get a syringe from a medic try flushing the eyes gently. Also a warm, moist cloth may help to remove alot of the gunk. Polysporin ointment should be pretty safe to use at this point..I would not use any drops or ointments that contain steroids until you can do an eye stain to make sure there are no ulcers or scrapes on the eye itself. It usually takes a few days to see results so do not give up, treat 3 times a day if you can.

P.S. You are living in the biggest sandbox known to man. Stay safe and don't forget to duck.

az_guard
August 13th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. It doesn't sound like this problem is to terrible. I'll try wiping a cloth on the one that has his eyes shut. I have some lubricating eye drops with a 1% solution of sodium. Sounds like that's safe to use so I'll try using some of that.
What is the general cause of this in kittens and how long will it generally last?

Tracy Martinez
August 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Hi! I had this happen to my kittens. I tried for a COUPLE OF WEEKS just wiping the eyes with a "cotton round" and getting the gunk off but it just wouldn't go away. My vet said sometimes these things clear up on their own but sometimes they've got an infection and need med's. (My kittens also started wheezing) He ended up giving me Sufa liquid (antibiotic) and some eye drops. (Neomycin and polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Suspension USB)(Vedco) I have no idea what that means in English LOL... So if it seems they all have this, it's probably an infection. I don't know how readily you can obtain these kinds of meds. Being in Iraq, probably not very easily! I'm NOT a vet and I'm NOT 100% sure if it is infection, but I could part with these meds and send them over. {I'm not even sure if it's legal/possible to do that!?} Maybe you could give it a few more days, let us know if they're getting any better. I hate seeing animals suffer!
My vet told me it could happen becuase the mother was sick and then passed it to the kittens. Sometimes they can get like that if they get scratched in the eye. It could be a herpes type virus. So, give it a few more days, I'll keep checking back.

Stay safe, and THANK YOU