Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartbroken Schnauzer

jeepin45
August 13th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Hello,
After 17 years of wonderful loving our Schnauzer Cricket passed away. We also have one of her sons (Taz) who is 9 years old and seems to be lost without Cricket. He is as always loving but he acts heartbroken. We are not sure what we need to do. Taz has never been alone and we think maybe another companion for him is the way to go. Just wondering if anyone with a similar situation could give some advice
Tim

chico2
August 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Dogs/cats mourn and can get depressed,I believe another companion would help Taz,but I am not that experienced with dogs.
Someone else with the same experience as you've had,will come around shortly,I'm sure...so stick around
and by the way,Welcome To The Forum!

Lucky Rescue
August 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Hi there. Sorry to hear of the loss of Cricket, but she sure had a long and wonderful life!

If you think your other dog would be happier with a companion, you might want to take him to a shelter and let him meet another dog, preferably a mature adult dog, and find one he seems to like.

OR, you can contact a rescue and see if they have any friendly, mature dogs you could foster and see how it goes with Taz.

SnowDancer
August 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I am very sorry about Cricket. I agree with Lucky that Taz would most likely bond better with a mature dog and that he should meet the dog first. Some dogs just don't like each other, same as people. What I would not do is get a puppy. I know someone who recently did just that, but her 8 year old dog, who was very attached to her 10 year old sister, and is reasonably tolerant of other dogs, is not so happy with a new puppy in the house. My dog is 16 months. I do not know if he would accept another dog in the house but if I were inclined to try, I would look at a senior female whose body could withstand the antics of a 22 lb. Eskimo. They play rough.

coppperbelle
August 14th, 2005, 08:22 PM
First of all, I am sorry for you loss. It is so difficult losing a beloved pet.
Last October I lost my 13 year old golden quite suddenly. She became ill and died within a few days. I had two other goldens, one was 4 (Chloe) and the other 8 months (Hunter). Hunter was not bothered by her passing but the Chloe grieved for at least two months. Chloe had had severe separation anxiety and had relied on the older dog for security. With her gone she was lost. After about two months I noticed she began to rely on the Hunter for security. They are now the best of pals and do everything together. It is wonderful to see them. They have truly bonded. Hunter even as a pup was very calm so I believe this helped with Chloe's anxiety. My point is that even with another dog Chloe still needed time to grieve.
If you decide to get another dog I don't think age is as important as finding a dog with a similar personalityand energy level. Even at 9 years old another dog could be quite active and if yours is not this could be a problem.
I would also recommend you go to a rescue organizations. They will be able to tell you about the dog and allow you time to ensure that both dogs get along.

angie79
August 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM
:sorry: I'm so sorry for your loss, I know the look of sadness in a pups eyes who has lost thier best friend. they do adapt and appreciate a new friend coming in to the house (sometimes takes some time) but they also remember that they could lose that friend too. one of my parents dogs who lost her first 2 friends gets up set if her bud goes out with out her esp. when he goes to the vet/grooming and my parents come home with out her

kandy
August 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM
We had a corgi x (Boon) who had been thrown over our fence as a very young pup. Our dog at the time (Sheena) adopted this puppy as her own. They were the best of friends until Sheena passed away in 2001. Boon was by herself with no companions (other than her human ones) for two years. She was almost 9 when we got Lacey (newf) in August of 2003. They got along really well, although I felt sorry for Boon sometimes because Lacey was so playful. When Lacey died suddenly of kidney failure in January of this year, Boon was so despondent. She would stop eating, and when I decided she needed to go to the vet, she would start eating again. She died 2 months later. I truly believe that she felt like she didn't want to live anymore after her two best friends had left her. :sad: People told me I was nuts when I told them I thought Boon had died of a broken heart.

A new companion might be just the thing. Good Luck!