Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bit in the eye

ILoveMutts!
August 13th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Leon was bit in the eye last night (17 hours ago), by a dog at the park. Some skin was scraped from his right eyelid as result of that, but he didn't seem bothered. I on the other hand was worried sick and tried to locate a clinic and someone to take me there as I don't have a car.

Long story short, I visited a vet this morning. He put some anesthetic drops in his eye and told me to wait 10 minutes for the drops to work, so he could flip (sorry, the medical term evades me) the eyelid and check the eye bulb for injuries. I was getting a very bad feeling about this, partly because the drops irritaded Leon's eye and when I asked the vet about it, he said I was talking nonsense. Well, I didn't wait ten minutes... I trusted my instinct and left.

My only remaining option was to take Leon to my old vet, whom I had decided not to visit again because of his hastiness and bad manners. When I got there he said there was no need to visit a vet at all and should have just put Tobradex ointment on the wound and in Leon's eye, like he had told me on the phone (I called him before I went to see the other vet). He was sweet-talking me the whole time about what a good dog I have ( :p ) and said that the other vet just wanted to take my money.

Anyway, he took a quick look, applied some ointment and gave him an amoxycillin injection (on the second attempt cause he pinched something along Leon's spine on the first try.)

Now, he didn't do a fluorescent eye stain and I'm a little worried that my dog's eye could be in a worse condition than what he said. Should I follow his instructions and continue with Tobradex on the eyelid wound and in the eye for four days?

Any advice welcome.

BMDLuver
August 13th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry that Leon was bitten at the dog park. You don't seem comfortable with either vet that you saw... I don't know the previous history with your current vet so not sure if you had previously posted why. Either way, if you were not comfortable with the service and you feel that Leon is in need of a more thorough exam, then go with your gut and see another vet. It sounds like that would give you peace of mind. Perhaps one of the members in your area would be able to recommend a vet they have confidence in.

twodogsandacat
August 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
My only remaining option was to take Leon to my old vet, whom I had decided not to visit again because of his hastiness and bad manners. When I got there he said there was no need to visit a vet at all and should have just put Tobradex ointment on the wound and in Leon's eye, like he had told me on the phone (I called him before I went to see the other vet). He was sweet-talking me the whole time about what a good dog I have ( :p ) and said that the other vet just wanted to take my money.Any advice welcome.

Am I reading that two vets weren't overly concerned about it? No pun intended but keep an eye on it.

Google was bit around the eye the first day I had him and although I was very worried I listened to the vet and all was OK.

BTW the medical term is eversion. All it means is flipping the eyelid and why they need a term for it I don't know.

ILoveMutts!
August 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Update

Just after I posted, I noticed that Leon's front legs had become very stiff. He was limping and lowering his head with each step he took. He couldn't run and very quickly was unable to even stand up. He hid under an armchair, something he does when he's in pain.

I located a pet hospital which is an hour's drive away and hired a pet-taxi to take us there. There was only one vet and a receptionist working there. It seems the rest of the staff was on leave. We waited a couple of hours for our turn, in which time Leon's condition was fortunately getting better. The vet, a young guy, was pretty decent and Leon relaxed naturally around him. No struggling this time. :)

I explained what had happened and asked for tests, but the vet said Leon looked fine and that he wouldn't x-ray a perfectly healthy animal. I guess he wanted to save time for the more serious cases (dogs that had been hit by cars were in the queue). I can understand his reasoning but wasn't satisfied because Leon still had some stiffness and couln't really run...

So I came back from the hospital with no answers and no advice... :sad:

ILoveMutts!
August 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Am I reading that two vets weren't overly concerned about it?

One vet was concerned and wanted to do the eversion, the other wasn't.

Good news, his eye is looking better now. :)