Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8YR Great Dane with frequent BM

twobadogz
August 13th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Mr. Peabody is an 8 year old great dane, who has been having frequent BM - 3-4 per day, typically while we are at work, or in the middle of the night. We let him out continuously while we are home and take him for walks, but it's like he's holding it until he can't possible hold it any longer. His BM are not loose, they are very normal....any thoughts?

StaceyB
August 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I would have him checked by a vet. He is getting up there in age and may have a medical issue. Just a guess but could it be possible that his body is not processing food as well as he should be for whatever cause. Is he losing any weight?

twobadogz
August 13th, 2005, 12:15 AM
no, he's not losing weight, but he's not gaining either. He's always been on the small side - around 120 lbs. Other than lots of pooping, he seems just fine.

StaceyB
August 13th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I would still bring him in, just in case it is something medical. Have you changed hid diet lately?

twinmommy
August 13th, 2005, 12:26 AM
It coudl be time to switch him over to a "senior" food. He could be getting to much protein assuming he's on reg adult food. What are you feeding him, btw?

twobadogz
August 13th, 2005, 12:26 AM
he's on prescription food (fish and potatoes) from the vet and we mix in some purina for some flavor about 75/25 - FP/purina. He really likes the other flavors in the purina, so it's hard for me to not mix it up a bit. Other than that, he gets large milkbones and an occasional dentabone, but that's it.