Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BSL Facts in a nutshell please!

lezzpezz
August 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I want to submit a newspaper article to the local paper and would like to have a quicklist of BSL and dangerous dog facts to refer to. Trying to wade thru the Legislation of Ontario Dog Owners' Liability Act has my head spinning. :confused:

For instance, I want to include the part where any dog that resembles and has the characteristics of a pit bull, better watch out!

I am interested in the fact that ACC can and will seize a dog if they deem it agressive. Is this true? Can they actually walk into my home and take my dog if someone complains or if they see it bark?? I am a bit confused on this one as I have heard yes they can and no they cant!

I want to put in the salient facts to help prevent false accusations and to help those with pit bulls and inform the general population via the media and my little letter.

Can someone please direct me to a clear and concise source to find this?? :grouphug:

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Advocates for the Underdog (http://www.advocatesfortheunderdog.com/bsl.html)

This is a really good site. That link has a page with the specifics of the legislature. If you go to the home page, it has a lot of info on BSL all over the world.

If anyone tried before, the link didn't work. I think I fixed it.

lezzpezz
August 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks...investigating as we speak....

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Your very welcome. :thumbs up

babyrocky1
August 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for doing this Lezzerpezzer, as far as I know, dogs can be seized for what is termed "menacing behaviour," which is a term that is not defined and definately there are instances that a dog can be seized and without a warrent! As gdamadag said Advocates web site as well as bannned aid sites would have summaries of the leg. This part of the leg. is not breed specific which is probably a good point to make since people do not understand that this bill effects more than just "pit bull" owners.

Georgiapeaches
August 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Here is the Bryant site summing up Bill 132:
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp

Here is a copy of one of the opinions of mine that was printed in the London Free Press and Parry Sound papers back in March. Maybe it could be of a help:

http://www.parrysoundnorthstar.com/1110403509/
Wednesday, March 9, 2005
Breed bans don't work
To the editor:

I am deeply saddened and mortified that Bill 132 has passed. I hope citizens in Ontario realize that all dog owners have lost rights due to this atrocious bill.

All dogs are now guilty until proven innocent. I encourage all dog owners to read this bill closely.

This legislation is going to be very costly and difficult to enforce.

Where will the money come from? The municipalities, of course.

Of the 23 dog-bite related fatalities in Canada over a 20-year period (1983-2003), none would have been saved by a ban on pit bulls. This bill is blatantly not about public safety as the Liberals claim.

Eighty-one out of 103 groups and individuals spoke against Bill 132, explaining that it will not work, during four days of public hearings that seemed to be a farce.

It had been recommended that action be taken against neglectful owners of any dog breed, but that a breed ban will not work.

The Liberals would not and did not listen.

Please remind me of how democracy works again in Ontario.

(There was another one in Feb. '05 but I can't find it.)

lezzpezz
August 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Feel free to add comments and do some editing if you guys feel there are errors, etc. Want to be accurate and to the point! Thanks for your imput!

On August 29, 2005, Bill 132,(Breed Specific Legislation,or, BSL, the pit bull banning law) comes into effect. This will have a very serious affect on ALL dog owners, not just those with pit bulls. I would like to clarify some facts surrounding this upcoming legislation, iin an attempt to prevent any unnecessary fear-mongering, misdirected accusations or unwarranted harassment from occurring here, in London.

The Amendment to the Dog Owners' Liability Act, 2005 states that a pit bull is defined as:

* a pit bull terrier
* a Staffordshire bull terrier
* An American pit bull terrier
* A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs.

In essence, this means that if your dog looks similar in appearance to a pit bull, (and many breeds do have comparable physiques and have already been misidentified as a pit bull to date), and is identified as such by Animal Care personnel, you will have to comply with the newly imposed regulations and guidelines, some of these being:

* dogs must be humanely muzzled and leashed unless on the owners' enclosed property or on the property of someone who consents to the pit bull being there without a muzzle or leash;
* dogs must be sterilized within 60 days of August 29, 2005.

There are some exceptions to "grandfathered" pit bulls.

Have you tried to put a muzzle on your innocent and gentle pet yet? Good luck....start now, as it takes a while to accustom a dog to wearing one.

Just how much dog breed knowledge does the average person out there have? Could you tell a pit bull from a boxer/lab cross? Or for that matter, do you even know what breeds your neighbours' Heinz 57 mutt is made up of? Likely not.

There are also amendments to the Public Safety Related to Dogs Statute Law, 2005. Particularly disturbing are the new powers granted to Animal Control personnel.

The amendments provide that designated peace officers, (including OSPCA inspectors, police, ACC officers, for example), will be able to seize dogs from your home with or without a warrant. It would allow peace officers to enter a person's dwelling with or without a warrant and to use "as much force as is necessary to exercise any authority given by Section 14 or 15." There are also provisions for seizure in public places.

Who decides if your dog is a pit bull? The onus is on the owner to prove that their dog is not a pit bull. Once your dog has been identified as a pit bull by the pound, (ACC), or designated peace officer, often with little or no training in dog breed identification, you must prove otherwise. This will be both costly and time consuming and many innocent people will end up taking their fight to court. All it will take to have an officer at your door is an accusatioatory phone call from a stranger or neighbour to the authorities, and your nightmare will begin. People can also call and accuse your dog of being "menacing" and this gem applies to all breeds of dogs, not just pit bulls and pit bull "types". There is no clear definition of "menacing" found within Bill 132, so that will also be left up to the interpretation and discretion of the officer on duty.

So be prepared, dog owners of Ontario. Know your rights and keep a close watch over your pets. The times have changed from having a dog to guard you and yours, to have you guard your dog!

lezzpezz
August 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I have already spotted a few typos and grammatical errors, so I will tend to those. I need meat and potatoes alterations....if any are needed...the glaring errors I have made with the facts, please, if I have indeed made any! :rolleyes:

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
This is a really good idea, as it seems the ignorant government that passed this bill is not doing much to educate the public. But I feel that this should be brought to a National level, as this does not only affect us in Ontario. It affects all who travel to or even through this province with their dogs. Which as the definition of breed is vague, this could result in a large loss of Tourism Revenue.

Ontario Tourism (http://goodpooch.com/antitourism.htm)

babyrocky1
August 12th, 2005, 05:32 PM
It sounds great to me...I think that the list of banned dogs includes American Staffordshire terrier as well though. The only one phrase that I might change a bit is when you ask "have you ever tried to muzzle your innocent well behaved pet..good luck etc. I am just reminded of that discusting MB when he kept saying that he was getting letters from people who said "do you know what my dog would do to me if I tried to put a muzzle on him" ..... Im afraid people might fill in the blanks that way since he was so public with that statement, he used it in the house as well as during press conferences. That was the one Email he used from "our side" As if that wasnt someones dumb idea of a joke! It could be jsut the way Im reading it cause I was so ticked off by that quote from Bryant at the time.

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I found another good site.

4leggedlove (http://www.4leggedlove.com/againstontariopitbullban.htm)

Georgiapeaches
August 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
:thumbs up great letter but yes, the Amstaff is also included in the list of the banned.

lezzpezz
August 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
for reading the letter and your suggestions. Hmmmm.....I took the list of banned breeds directly from one of the sites, verbatim. Is there a more concise list out there? I would like to include all the banned breeds in the letter.

Georgiapeaches
August 14th, 2005, 02:31 PM
for reading the letter and your suggestions. Hmmmm.....I took the list of banned breeds directly from one of the sites, verbatim. Is there a more concise list out there? I would like to include all the banned breeds in the letter.

Here is the list from Michael Bryant's :evil: site:

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp

Is my dog a pit bull?

Under the amendments to DOLA, pit bull is defined as:

A pit bull terrier
A Staffordshire bull terrier
An American Staffordshire terrier
An American pit bull terrier
A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs.

Hope that helps

gdamadg
August 14th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I think that the dog characteristics is what should really be publicized.

A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs.

New Powers for Animal Control Personnel
The amendments to DOLA provide that police officers, special constables, First Nations Constables, auxiliary police, municipal law enforcement officers, OSPCA inspectors and OSPCA agents are all designated as peace officers for the purposes of DOLA.
Designated peace officers will be able to obtain warrants to seize a dog from a particular location where it is not desirable in the interests of public safety that the dog be so located.
In exigent circumstances, designated peace officers will have a right of entry without warrant. Exigent circumstances include circumstances where there are reasonable grounds to believe that entry without warrant is necessary to prevent imminent bodily harm or death to any person or domestic animal.
There are also provisions for seizure in public places.

That states dog not "pit bull".

This is not just a ban on pit bulls, and affects a lot of breeds, cross breeds and of course many owners that are unaware of this fact. But of course the Government and Media are not publicizing that fact.

lezzpezz
August 16th, 2005, 02:34 PM
does anyone have a clear idea of what can happen to you and your dog if it is accused of being "menacing"? I have the thought stuck in my head that ACC can also come and take a dog away for what was percieved by someone as "menacing" behaviour, no questions asked :eek: I need clarification on this one. My belief is that if my neighbour, for instance, calls to "claim" that my dog lunged at him, he could call and ACC would take my dog into custody. Is this right??? :confused:

gdamadg
August 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM
From every thing I have read, that sounds about right. Whether it be in your home or in public. If there is a complaint against your dog with reguards to it being "menacing", they are supposed to seek a warrant for seizure. But if it public safety is a factor and they must react, they can seize with out a warrant. It doesn't seem like the Provincial Government has really given any direction to the Municipal organisations responsible for enforcement. Every thing is very vague and it seems purposely like that. Easier to "massage" it to the Governments needs. It is fine to publish legal documents, but not every one will be able to understand said documents. Something as highly publicized in the biginning, should have had a public advertisement campaign well ahead of the deadline, to educate. Which is fast approaching and there are many confused people out there.

lezzpezz
August 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM
...which is exactly why I want to pen this letter to the paper.....at least some folks will see it and perhaps have a clue as to what is happening and how to deal with this nonsense. I am very worried about my idiot neighbour as he looks for any reason to get under our skin, and the dogs are his favourite target :evil:

I am worried about submitting this letter to the paper as it may actually give him the idea to call and accuse my dogs of wrongdoing. I went as far as to call the COR officer that I have been dealing with for 6 years! to state my fears about what may happen with this BSL stuff. He told me not to worry, as my dogs have never had contact with the nut, have never bitten anyone and have never shown aggression, even in the officers' presence. That made me feel a bit better, but I still have my fears.

Here is the updated draft letter, which I have to pare down further:

On August 29, 2005, Bill 132, (BSL pit bull banning law), comes into effect. This will have a very serious affect on all dog owners, not just those with pit bulls. I would like to clarify some facts surrounding this upcoming legislation in an attempt to prevent any unnecessary fear-mongering, misdirected accusations or unwarranted harassment from occurring.

The Amendment to the Dog Owners' Liability Act, 2005 states that a pit bull is defined as:

* a pit bull terrier
* a Staffordshire bull terrier
* An American pit bull terrier
*A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs.

In essence, this means that if your dog looks similar in appearance to a pit bull, (and many breeds do have comparable physiques and have already been misidentified as a pit bull to date), and is identified as such by Animal Care personnel, you will have to comply with the newly imposed regulations and guidelines, two of these being:

* dogs must be humanely muzzled and leashed unless on the owners' enclosed property
* dogs must be sterilized within 60 days of August 29, 2005.

It takes a while to accustom an inexperienced dog to wearing a muzzle, so dog owners that own what may be classified as a pit bull or a similar breed, would be wise to purchase a muzzle immediately and begin the familiarization process.

There are also amendments to the Public Safety Related to Dogs Statute Law, 2005. Particularly disturbing are the new powers granted to Animal Control personnel.

The amendments provide that designated peace officers, (including OSPCA inspectors, police, ACC officers, for example), will be able to:
"*obtain warrants to seize a dog from a particular location where it is not desirable in the interests of public safety that the dog be so located.
* In exigent circumstances, designated peace officers will have a right of entry without warrant. Exigent circumstances include circumstances where there are reasonable grounds to believe that entry without warrant is necessary to prevent imminent bodily harm or death to any person or domestic animal."

It would allow peace officers to enter a person's dwelling and use "as much force as is necessary to exercise any authority given by Section 14 or 15." There are also provisions for seizure in public places.

Just how much dog breed knowledge does the average person out there have? Could you tell a pit bull from a boxer/lab cross? Or for that matter, do you even know what breeds your neighbours' Heinz 57 mutt is made up of? Likely not. Furthermore, who decides if your dog is a pit bull? Unfortunately, the onus falls on the owner to prove that their dog is not a pit bull. Once your dog has been identified as a pit bull by the pound, (ACC), or designated peace officer, often staff that have little or no training in dog breed identification, you must prove otherwise. This will be both costly and time consuming and many innocent people may end up taking this to court.

All it will take to have an officer at your door is a call to the authorities, and your nightmare will begin. Be advised that anyone can phone and accuse your dog of being "menacing", at which point, your pet can be impounded. This little gem applies to all breeds of dogs, not just pit bulls and pit bull "types". There is no clear definition of "menacing" found within Bill 132, so that will also be left up to the interpretation and discretion of the officer on duty.

So be prepared, dog owners of Ontario. Know your rights and keep close watch over your pets. The times have changed from having a dog to guard you and yours, to you now having to guard your dog!

babyrocky1
August 17th, 2005, 04:30 PM
It sounds great to me Lezzerpezzer except that your stil missing American Staffordshire terrier. There is a transitiion period that will cover sixty days from August 29th. I have confirmed this with animal control here in Toronto but you are correct in using the date August 29th. as that is when it Takes effect, which will further confuse everyone. I am going to print out what Mona B posted which is the part of the part of the regulations that use the final date for muzzling spaying and nuetering etc. as October 28th incase I get some overzelous officer trying to hassle me previous to the October date. Probably it would just confuse the letter if you were to add all that, but I just wanted to clarify it for us.

Luvmypit
August 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM
So do I need to muzzle my dog on August 29th or do you think I can wait till October? Or is the transition period more for spay/neuturing and registering my dog or is it for muzzles too?

babyrocky1
August 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Luvmypit, theres a post under pitbull coop by Mona B that is a communication from the AGs office that makes it sound as if its October, I would find it for you but im really upset right now (unrelated for a change) Or if I can calm down a little Ill look for it.

gdamadg
August 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Its sort of answered in a link to the city of Ottawa page in another thread.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=168876#post168876

Luvmypit
August 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Don't worry babyrocky I found it. Thank you though!

Thanks for the link gdamadg!

gdamadg
August 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM
No Problem.