Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog was skunked help plz

cyphercon
August 12th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Hi and thank you for reading
My dog was skunked the night before last. She was sprayed in the mouth. I washed her and cleaned her mouth out immediately but she is sick. My vet gave her pepsid AC abd put her on a bland diet. does anyone else have any advise

the gang
August 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM
maby some chicken stock ,and cooked rice :fingerscr you can also give her some pepto for her upset tummy good luck

sbcoy
August 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
My dog was sprayed and this site was very helpful. It doesn't talk much about sickness but does give a great recipe to get rid of the smell which could be aggravating your dog's upset tummy.
http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html
Good luck!

SnowDancer
August 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM
sbcloy is right. I opened that attachment provided and instructions re baking soda and hydrogen peroxide were as told me by my dog's groomer. I have my supplies ready and almost needed them Thurs. a.m. when my white dog came face to face with a skunk who I guess decided to give him a pass. My preference of course would be to rush dog to groomer's or vet's but if closed this is plan B. Don't have any advice re sickness though - must ask about that.

db7
August 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I didn't read all the other posts. This is similar to one of them. It's straight to the point, it is the original legitimate de-skunker and believe me it is very thoroughly field tested. It works perfectly.

Paul Krebaum, a chemist for the Molex corporation in Lisle, Illinois, has developed a foolproof odor remover. This odor remover works on anything including decomposing organic matter, fecal matter, urine and skunk spray.

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

* 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
* 1/4 cup of baking soda
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet, be sure to rinse offhim off with water. Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.

cyphercon
August 12th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Thank you to all who replied. Its a day later and she is ok. I used the H2O2 and baking soda +dish soap..........it worked wonders
She is still sick but the vet told me to give her pepsid AC it is helping rice and chickrn broth has been her diet
I am still waiting for her to have a BM
hopefully all will be well. THANKS AGAIN :fingerscr

Wudjah
August 12th, 2005, 10:59 PM
My husky was sprayed last year. She was in our securely fenced back yard (secure for a dog anyways), our windows were open, and I was pregnant (lesson #1, lock the doggy door and lesson #2 keep windows closed and buy an air conditioner). Upon smelling the horrible odour coming from our backyard I got sick, then looked out the window and here was our dog rolling on the ground and the skunk trying to figure out how to get out of the yard. I decided that I would have to let them work it out as I didn't want to get sprayed myself - when the skunk safely escaped, Keely got doused with tomato juice which is probably an old wives tale but it turned her white fur a pretty red colour and she liked the taste of it anyways. It did help with the odour but the smell lingered, especially when wet.