Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with bad prostate

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I have a poodle and last year he had a bad prostate, I took him to the vets and we got some expensive pills. It went away for a while but now it is back. He is bleeding all over the house although he seems to still be very happy and active. He is 12 and it is really scaring me that my dog might be too old to get over this. What I want to know is:

Is a bad prostate fatal to dogs?
Does it hurt them?
Should I go to the vet again or is it a waste of time?

Thanks for any help.

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Is your dog neutered? I ask this because usually neutering shrinks the prostate to near-non-existance.
I would say go to the vet, as the prostate can interfere with defecation (among other things).

Here's a link with some vet answers:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dprostate.html

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:27 PM
My dog is not neatured

StaceyB
August 11th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Go back to the vet, asap. Your dog may be 12yrs but it is not that old for a poodle. What was actually wrong with the prostate, cancer?

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
It was not cancer no, I think it was enlarged. It's just the pills didn't seem to do anything, I think it went away on its own. Also they were a lot of money.
I mean he is here with me now and he seems fine, in no pain or anything, do you think it may just be a temporary thing?

StaceyB
August 11th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Why did the vet not neuter him last year when he first presented this. One of the reasons why it is suggested that male dogs are neutered is not just to eliminate the chance that he would create unwanted litters but to prevent prostate problems, mainly cancer.

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 10:32 PM
It sounds like you're describing prostatitis:

Prostatitis is usually treated with antibiotics. It is generally from a bacterial infection of the prostate gland leading to inflammation.
This causes pain when urinating and may cause lameness or stiffness in the rear legs. It can be a serious illness, sometimes leading to septicemia (blood borne infection).
It is best to treat with an antibiotic that has been chosen based on a culture of the prostatic fluid but veterinarians often choose an antibiotic based on the likelihood it will work for prostate infection since culture and sensitivity takes a few days to get results from and adds to the expense of treating the condition.
If the antibiotic doesn't seem to be working it is best to insist on a culture, though.
Neutering probably doesn't help much with acute prostatitis but it may be helpful if chronic prostatitis is present and it definitely helps if there is benign hypertrophy of the prostate.
The latter condition is more common as dogs get older and would be unusual in a young dog. In some instances prostate infections abcess. This is much more serious, does respond best to surgical drainage and is at least a pressing problem, if not an outright emergency. Castration is a good idea when treating prostatic abcesses but the abcess must still be treated properly as it will not go away with castration alone.

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Oh I never knew that.
I'm not sure but I'm quite certain he ISN'T neutered, is their any way of telling?

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Look between his legs... You'll know

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Ah that simple eh...
Well now I'm sure he ISN'T neutered.
I wonder why the vet didn't do it?

StaceyB
August 11th, 2005, 10:37 PM
If you don't think the vets last method of treatment didn't seem to work, you should take him back in to check out the severity of this as well as any other treatments that may work better for him. He may be in pain even though he doesn't look like it to you. He really needs to see a vet about this. It also may not be the same issue as last time.

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 10:38 PM
yes, it's a pretty easy diagnostic :D
Good question, but it's never too late!!!

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Thankyou very much.
I shall go to the vet tommorow and see about all of this neutering business aswell.
I hope he's ok.

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 10:41 PM
keep us posted!! Good luck :grouphug:

robsug
August 11th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I will :)
Thanks again for all your usefull information and help.

robsug
August 15th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Ok people you wanted me to keep you posted... :thumbs up
Well I went to the vets on saturday and my dog got 2 injections and some pills. He seems to have gotten better already and I have to give him 4 pills a day. Also I had to get a urine sample (very weird... :mad: )
I have to take him back to the vets later, I'll keep you posted on that.
Thanks again guys :thumbs up