Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh Gosh! Pit Bull pup needs a home! I need help please!!

Copper'sMom
August 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I need serious help here! I don't do rescue work etc but if you could all point me in the right direction as what to do here???

I received this email from a Pet Boarding place that I had Zoe at for doggy daycare. Here it is edited:

Sherry:

Thank you sooo much for the great e-mail. If it's ok with you we would like to start a "reference" link on our web page and would like to use your letter.

We will take out your last name and e-mail address etc - just put Sherry, Simcoe Ont. (something like that) if that is ok with you??

Now on to a more pressing issue. Do you remember Rocky the puppy that looked like Zoe?? Well his parents are renting the place where they live and the landlord has told them that he doesn't want a pitbull on the property because of the insurance issues. They are DEVASTATED to say the least, and have called to see if I knew anyone that might give him a good home.

Certainly I would - but with four dogs already Hubby says NO!!! I know that you have your hands full with Zoe and Copper - but I thought maybe someone you know who is quite smitten with Zoe (as everyone would be) - might want her twin??

Let me know as soon as possible as they only have a couple of weeks. I said he could come here if it was an emergency - but it would certainly be better for him to just go to his new home directly from there - a lot less confusing.

Thank again for the review

L P

I will repost this in BSL forum too as I wonder about the landlord's insurance issue??

Any suggestions how I might go about helping out here??? I'll be offline until Monday and will hopefully get pics of the pup too!

twodogsandacat
August 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Now on to a more pressing issue. Do you remember Rocky the puppy that looked like Zoe?? Well his parents are renting the place where they live and the landlord has told them that he doesn't want a pitbull on the property because of the insurance issues. They are DEVASTATED to say the least, and have called to see if I knew anyone that might give him a good home.

The issue isn't the lanlords to worry about and the tenent should have thier own insurance.

As an FYI State Farm does not base insurance on the breeds of dogs although they may ask to visit the property.

babyrocky1
August 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I have heard the same thing about State Farm, that insurance rates are not based on breed, but, the question is probably more to do with whether or not a tenant can be evicted for owning a particualar breed of dog. I dont know the answer to that. Poor doggy :sad:

Copper'sMom
August 12th, 2005, 12:19 AM
That's exactly what I thought 2dogsandacat! Thanks!

Ok, I have a little more info on the situation after talking with the lady who sent me the email regarding Rocky.

According to the phone conversation, Rocky is better off in finding a new home. His owners are never home and he spends alot of time alone. The owners are not very "doggy oriented" when it comes to training, as this dog has had none - he doesn't even walk on a leash! When I first saw Rocky at doggy daycare when Zoe was there, I thought to myself "poor puppy, the owners didn't even bring him any toys to play with in the kennel!" I shrugged it off. And now look where I'm at! Poor pup!

So to any rescuers out there that can give me advice as what I should do and how do I go about helping find this pup a home please post it here or send me a pm!! i sure will appreciate it! I'll be posting pics of him next week.

Georgiapeaches
August 12th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I have heard the same thing about State Farm, that insurance rates are not based on breed, but, the question is probably more to do with whether or not a tenant can be evicted for owning a particualar breed of dog. I dont know the answer to that. Poor doggy :sad:

I don't believe they can be evicted unless there has been issues. No issues with the animal then I don't believe they can be evicted for it. I guess the act would need to be looked at or a lawyer could be called for more details.

Donna Marie
August 15th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Check with the city by-laws too. I just discovered that PB's were taken off of the vicious animals list in my city.

Copper'sMom
August 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Well, I guess the owners have decided to keep Rocky! They have made a deal with their landlord to pay the extra insurance money and to replace whatever it is the dog destroyed on the property.

They are also working with the kennel owner. She is going to help them with obedience training. She has told them what the pup needs and she will be there to guide them along. I also offered my help in which ever way I can.

I am very glad they have reconsidered and are now aware of what they MUST do with the pup! Here's one less life that Michael Bryant will not be taking! :D

Copper'sMom
August 16th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Check with the city by-laws too. I just discovered that PB's were taken off of the vicious animals list in my city.

Are you in Ontario?? This is a provinical ban so I don't think city by-laws would apply!