Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

passing out? stroke?

iluvricky
August 11th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hello

About an hour ago, after barking and getting excited over the mailman's delivery, my 12-year old Pekingese went to lie down on the rug. She coughed as though she were about to throw up a little (she does this every so often), but then all of a sudden, she got very stiff and just keeled over onto her side. She was completely limp and seemed to have stopped breathing. As she was carried to the vet, maybe 10 blocks away, she slowly seemed to come back to life (however you would like to interpret that).

At the vet, where she seemed almost completely back to normal by then, the doctor said she had a heart murmur but normal temperature. She's there for and EKG and blood work now, but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else's pet, or if anyone had any ideas what might have happened. She's been sort of sluggish the past few months, which we attributed to her age. To counter her slowness, we tried feeding her dog food for the first time last night (as opposed to the meat and vegetables we usually cook for her). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kaylin

Beaglemom
August 11th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking that because she has a heart murmur, the excitement of the mailman was too much for her little heart and she collapsed. Have the vet look into her cough as well. We have a dog that has a pretty bad heart murmur. We were told to keep him as quiet as possible. He is now in heart failure and is taking 3 different meds to keep him comfortable. He is doing pretty well and has been on his meds now for a couple of years.

When a dog has a heart condition, they generally also have a cough that is associated with it. It is a dry cough. Sometimes they will throw up fluid when they cough. This is usually indicative of fluid in the lungs which is caused by heart failure.

Because of her heart murmur, you will have to watch her carefully to make sure that she doesn't over exert herself. Dogs tend to over do it all the time. Her exercise sessions will have to be carefully monitored.

The EKG will be able to give you a much better indication as to how her heart is doing.

Please do keep us updated as to her condition.

Prin
August 11th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I think if she is otherwise healthy, you should keep feeding her as you were (as long as you're sure she's getting everything she needs). How old is she?

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM
-She's 12.

iluvricky
August 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM
beaglemom seemed to nail it on the head - my dog had fluid in her lungs due to her heart condition, where her valves basically dont function properly. this is probably due to her age. she is currently on a diuretic (lasix) which she will be weaned off in the next week, as well as a heart medication called enacard. she's home and should be okay so long as she isnt overexerted, like beaglemom said.

you can bet she's not being fed dog food anymore!

thanks for all your concern

doggy lover
August 12th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Thank you for taking your dog to the vet right away, so many people don't. I glad to hear that she will be ok. Give her a big kiss for us.

Beaglemom
August 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Thank you for posting an update. Our dog is on 3 different types of medication. He is taking Fortekor (heart med), Lasix (diuretic) and Spironolactone (diuretic). He is also on a very strict diet. All his food is home cooked based on a recipe given to us by our vet. We then add some supplements, again given to us by our vet, to make sure that he is getting all the nutrients he needs. Dogs with a heart condition must have a very strict diet. You will have to watch the sodium content of her food. Also, make sure she always has lots of water available. Eventually, she may need to take the diuretics permanently. Our dog started off with just Lasix, but is now on both Lasix and Spironolactone to keep his fluid content lower. The diuretic is going to make her have to pee more frequently. You may also find that she will have accidents more often. Our doggie doesn't always make it to his bathroom spot. Many times he will go in the house. At first he was quite bothered by this as he was always very clean in his habits but with the medication, he can't hold it.