Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Son broke toe?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 10th, 2005, 11:45 PM
My kids were running up the stairs to go to bed. Then my younger son started screaming. He said he was running up the stairs and banged his toe. I looked down and his big toe was obviously out out of joint. It was at a diagonal angle out. My hubbie took him to the clinic, I suppose they might send him up to emergency. He is in a lot of pain it seems and it looks like it really hurts. Thank god we were both home or I would have two kids at the emergency. I hate it when they hurt themselves!! :sick:

Puppyluv
August 10th, 2005, 11:50 PM
ooo broken/dislocated toes are never fun. I think I broke a total of 6 growing up (the hazzards of regularily polished hardwood floors, and the discovery that you can "skate" on them with socks :D ) Unfortunately there isn't much the docotrs can do; pop it back in the socket, and tape the foot... but it's just one of those things. Hope he feels better though!! :love:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
thanks I felt so bad for him he was in so much pain. I hope the doctor pops it back in and hes okay. They were climbing all over rocks today at the beach not one scratch and he runs up our carpeted stairs and gets hurt doing it. Go figure.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 11th, 2005, 12:13 AM
The clinic sent him up to emergency for an xray. Now the poor guy is probably going to have to wait for a least a few hours for that. He did stop crying though but isnt putting any wait on his foot. :sad:

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Aww poor guy! You know what always made mine feel better? ice cream :D (Just looking out for his best interests)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Thanks he already had ice cream today, but this deserves an extra special oreo blizzard I think. I will report his prognosis tommorow. ;) Now I have to try to go to sleep while my injured son and hubby wait it out at emergency. :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 11th, 2005, 08:41 AM
My husband and son came home at midnight last night. About 3.5 hours after the toe incident.
It is broken they had to freeze the toe and reset it. The needle hurt him and he cried when the doctor reset it. He ate a whole box of Timbits when he came home, and even offered to share with me. :) The doctor says it will be a few days until he walks and will probably limp for a few weeks. :sad:

Luba
August 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I broke a toe running in the house as a kid THEN was forced to run track and field by my teacher who thought I was faking.

I actually think I refused near the end, I could barely walk so she sent me to the office. The VP could hardly get my shoe/sock off my foot.

They didn't do anything to it, just ice and let it heal on it's own but man did it hurt!

kandy
August 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Oh, I truly feel for your son! I broke my toe a couple of years or so ago. Was giving hubby the evil eye and wasn't watching where I put my feet - slammed my foot into the cedar chest. The toe swelled up to about 3 times its normal size - was almost black and the bruise covered most of the foot. Man did that hurt! I tried to go to work that morning, but it hurt so bad that I was in tears and finally had to tell my boss that I had to go home. I knew that the hospital wouldn't do anything but tape it, so I didn't even go.

Hope he feels better soon! :fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 11th, 2005, 10:21 PM
He is in good spirits and enjoys being carried everywhere. The doctor at emergency asked him how his toe felt and he said it felt like 1000 Scorpions stinging his big toe inside. It should be all heeled by the time he starts kindergarten. :)