Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

has anyone tried the muzzle yet?

babyrocky1
August 10th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Hi fellow pittie owners, I havent gotten Rockys muzzle yet and Im scared to death about this whole thing, its coming up so soon. I know that the transition date is October 28th. but I wanted to get him prepared before the Aug 29th date incase of hassles. Its been sooo hot and hes not been coping with the heat well so I havent either purchased or started to try him out with it yet. I am so afraid that it will fundamentally change him! I dont want to pass on this anxiety to him! Has anyone started to introduce their pups to the muzzle yet? I know theres all sort of web sites and that he should probably get a cage muzzle, but Iid prefer to exchange info with people I "know" and have a conversation rather than just research. So whats up so far with everone? Sorry I didnt meen I dont want to hear from non-pittie owners with advice as well. I remember months back someone that did rescue posted about their experience with muzzles but I dont remember who...that was before I knew you all LOL!

Roxy's_MA
August 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I had to train my dog to wear a muzzle for some of the sporting events she does. She is a JRT and she races. I found any easy way for the dog to get used to wearing the muzzle, is to put it on in a comfortable environment. I started out by putting it on for only about 10 sec (that is all she would let me the first time), and found that I increased the wearing time by about 10 sec each time. I would put it on her a few times a day, just to get her used to it. I did this for a few weeks, and gave her lots of praise and treats everytime she let me put it on her. She really didn't like it, but did get used to wearing it. Fortunaltly the longest period of time Roxy has to wear her muzzle is a couple of minutes.

As for types of muzzles, I like the basket muzzle. They can still pant and drink water.

I am sure there are some other ideas out there. Good luck! :)

babyrocky1
August 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks Roxy, I have seen what I would call a "basket muzzle" it was actually woven. A dog that used to come to the park wore it and Rocky used to try and "rescue" the dog by attempting to chew his muzzle off lOL So a basket muzzle and the cage muzzle are different? I think I would prefer the basket if he can drink and pant? It seems it would be lighter and less Hannibal Lectorish! I am also thinking of purchasing the nylon kind but in a size too big for quick trips. A neighbor of mine has done this and unless you go right up to the dog and it licks you, you cant tell its too big. She says the Pittie doesnt mind the thing at all. My big worry is that because I dont have a yard, I live in an apartment that he will have this on him whenever hes outside so it could really traumatise him.

Roxy's_MA
August 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Poor guy :sad: It really sucks that he will have to wear everytime he steps out the door.

Yes I guess it is a cage muzzle that I have. There was metal ones, but I went with a plastic one (it seemed less threatening). I admit it is not most durable thing but it does the Job. I don't believe I saw any basket muzzles while shopping. I did however have to go to four different pet stores just to find the cage muzzles. I found most of the pet stores in Edmonton where only carrying the really restrictive muzzles.

gdamadg
August 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM
babyrock1: I am feeling the same stress about this. I have talked to a few people about types of muzzles and I was told that a cage muzzle will be required. Even if I could use the nylon ones, Sprint has some breathing problems and pants really hard just from a light walk on a cool day. To add to the STUPIDITY of all this, I have yet to find a pet store near me that carries proper muzzles. The BSL is really vague about all of this and the government is not passing on the proper information. This is causing and going to cause even more problems for no reason.

babyrocky1
August 10th, 2005, 06:43 PM
There are lots of posts about types of muzzles here in the BSL forum, Ill try and update them for you but I was hoping for some personal experiences and just trading tips and getting support from one another as we go through this. From everything I have read here, it does seem that the wire cage muzzle is were we need to go. But Im wondering about having that AND the nylon muzzle but too big OR if there are other options. Im less nervouse about introducing him to a nylon one than the cage in the begining.

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM
It is very unfortunate that all these dogs are having to wear muzzles. Yes, it can cause problems. Reason, everyone approaching your dog will immediately show the dog fear. Some dogs will begin to act on this. You will need to find a muzzle that allows the mouth to open. Dogs release body heat by salivating/ panting. By restricting the mouth from opening they are unable to do this. Some of these same muzzles will say on the pkg breathable even though they keep the mouth closed. I occasionally use muzzles when training dogs with aggression issues, aid in desensitizing. I am very strict in their use. They are only to be on during training sessions, all other times it is off. I make it clear that it is not to be used as a walking tool. Some of the dogs I have worked with have to have it taken off every 5 min because they are unable to breath properly. Use a muzzle with care and be aware of changes in breathing.

babyrocky1
August 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=StaceyB]It is very unfortunate that all these dogs are having to wear muzzles. Yes, it can cause problems. Reason, everyone approaching your dog will immediately show the dog fear. Some dogs will begin to act on this. QUOTE]If this is the reason that they may react agressively, the muzzled pittie I mean, what if I were to make sure that when i first muzzle him he sees friendly faces right away who praise him." :like a oooh Rocky you look so cuuute! " I thought that the sense of fear would come because they feel vulnerable. If it is more how people react to him, well I have more control over that as we know so many people in the neighborhood that could help. The ones that dont like him already show fear so no problem there.

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I'm still upset about this entire thing and knowing the way BSL is going it's not going to be limited, where will it stop?

I'm so sorry your doggie will have to wear a muzzle now :( it's just NOT right! NOT at all.

gdamadg
August 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
The breathing is my major concern, just taking him out for a walk is going to be a chore and potentially risk his health. I could care less about the ignorant uneducated fear of others. My only concern is my dogs health. :mad:

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Well you could 'not' do it :p just put a gentle leader on but not hook it up to your lead :thumbs up

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately the way others react will affect your dogs health because your now socially sound dog may change.

Take your dog to see people and go places that are dog friendly. Places where there would be fewer people that would show fear towards your dog. I would take some time to re-socialize, the same as you did when he was a puppy but with the muzzle on. This should help a lot with this. Because the muzzle can change their breathing so drastically don't take them out when it is at all hot out, be very careful letting them play, run with it on. Any time you are out and he is wearing the muzzle take loads of water with you. A dog should never have a muzzle on for more than 15-20 min at a time.

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I hadn't read whether they have made any mention of the type of muzzle allowed. There is a velcro strap muzzle that you can buy that can be adjusted around the nose and neck. Unfortunately as a trainer I can't suggest doing anything that would be considered illegal but if they haven't went into detail of the muzzles allowed you may be able to make one that would be more suitable for all, less aggressive looking and actually breathable. Maybe a colour that blends into the colour of the dog.

gdamadg
August 10th, 2005, 08:45 PM
StaceyB: That's just it, they are just making generic regulations. When you really sit down and read it, it seems more like a scare tactic. Hoping that with this, every one will stop wanting to own "pit bull" type dogs.

Walking him is another thing, he is used to the gentle leader. That is what my sister trained him with. I tried walking him with out it and he pulls. As soon as I put the leader back on, he walks proper. I don't think the gentle leader will fit or be comfortable with a muzzle on at the same time.
I don't want to have to resort to a choker or similar. It is going to take some time, longer than the 60 days we are given.

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
A leader will fit just fine over top of the muzzle. You will just need to adjust the size slightly. Fit the leader to allow one inch of correction space and two fingers flat fot the neck, same as reg collar should fit. The leader is great for control but you will still need to teach your dog not to pull.

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 08:58 PM
A leader will fit just fine over top of the muzzle. You will just need to adjust the size slightly. Fit the leader to allow one inch of correction space and two fingers flat fot the neck, same as reg collar should fit. The leader is great for control but you will still need to teach your dog not to pull.

The muzzle order is presented to control the pits that are already here. The second part is that there will be no new pit owners allowed, eventually eliminating the breed from this area.

gdamadg
August 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM
The muzzle order is presented to control the pits that are already here. The second part is that there will be no new pit owners allowed, eventually eliminating the breed from this area.

Under the amendments to DOLA, pit bull is defined as:
* A pit bull terrier
* A Staffordshire bull terrier
* An American Staffordshire terrier
* An American pit bull terrier
* A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs.

This is not to rid the area of Pit Bulls, it is to rid the area of any dog that looks like one.

This is as specific as they get with what type of muzzle is required. Muzzles should be humane, but strong enough and well-fitted enough to prevent the pit bull from biting, without interfering with the breathing, panting, or vision of the pit bull or with the pit bull's ability to drink.

kellyla
August 10th, 2005, 09:51 PM
We got Boston his last week and let him get used to it in the backyard.We did take him to a soccer game Tuesday night and we left it on him about an hour.We bought the metal cage one and he had no difficulty panting,drinking or eating(pieces of his kibble and treats)It took him a few tries to figure out how to drink but had no problem.The only thing I think he found uncomfortable was trying to find a good way to put his head down to take a nap.My husband tired to show him a few ways)on his side,cocking his head a little more)We got a few stares and points,but I am prepared to give answers and remarks.All in al ,it was a good first outing for him.

bluntman
August 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I cannot try a muzzel on my dogs(and I really don't want to anyway) I have been to all the pet stores in Peterborough and NONE have, or seem willing to get cage or basket type muzzels. I will try again in September, and get documentation that they do no carry "humane muzzels" and use that in court if I need to, I would rather face a fine, than put a non humane muzzel on my dogs, becuse some jerk named Bryant refused to listen to the experts.

Luvmypit
August 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Well where I have looked no one has the cage muzzle. So if I have to use a humane one which ofcourse I would only use then what if I can't find one.

Just keep telling the cops that I have one on order and show some leg. I don't know. I have the nylon one which we have never used and am not even sure why we have it.
I will not allow him to wear that one and besides he can take it off within 10 minutes. Little buggar! I would though put it on him very loosely. Just for show. So no one calls on me.

Dukieboy
August 11th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been off the board for a while. Looking for a new house. What really worries me about this whole muzzle thing is other dogs, how they will react and the fact that Duke couldn't defend himself against an aggressor. When I do get a muzzle I will be buying the metal cage with the soft leather strap. I understand they are the safest and allow the most freedom (eating/drinking) I don't think I would take Duke out in a high dog traffic area with the muzzle on.

BMDLuver
August 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.dogmuzzle.com/wirbasdogmuz6.html

This one appears to be specifically designed for the breed. This whole issue is so sad. Have I mentioned lately that I hate people? *sigh*

babyrocky1
August 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the posts everyone. I would much prefer, as some one else has posted, not to buy this thing online, I would like to have someone show me properly how to put it on and see for myself before I buy it. Kellya has posted on the other muzzle post that there is a place that sells the wire basket muzzles in Hamilton so you would think somewhere in Toronto would carry them! Im also thinking of getting the one LL posted for now. I guess I will need both. Im thinking that when I put one on him just to take him to my "secret place" near my apartment, I will likely just use the mesh one, since it is only a few minutes away. I will let him play off leash and unmuzzled there as it is fenced in property that I have permission to use. I tried to post more questions last night but something went wrong with the computer. Should we make sure that the dog gets lots of positive reinforcement from friends etc.? Like ooh dont you look cute today Rocky!!! And let him walk with hi8s regular friends?

babyrocky1
August 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Kellya, it doesnt sound like your pup had too much trouble at all with the muzzle, how old is he? Did you introduce him to it gradually?

Me and Kayla
August 11th, 2005, 11:39 PM
My muzzle woes...Kayla has tried the nylon muzzle. Forget that, she wiggled out of that one in about 2 mins, which doesn't matter cuz she can't pant in it, so that was a waste of money. Still trying to find the basket type. No luck so far. Vet recommended Bio Calm 2 weeks prior to training with the basket type. Sounds good if I can find one.

Also worried about the reaction with other dogs. Kayla likes to greet her playmates with a head butt into the side of the dog to let them know she wants to play. Can hardly wait to see the reaction when that cage hits the side of another dog. :(

No more running free in the tennis courts. No more long leads, so she can chase the squirrels (her fav. sport). Also worried about what the stress is going to do to the heart problem.

I'd love to find a muzzle for Mr. Bryant. :mad:

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I went into one of the local pet stores and inquired if they were going to get any basket muzzles. They finally ordered them, but won't be in for another 3 weeks. The girl didn't know what supplier or brand they were. Hopefully they are not the cheap baskets I saw at a couple stores in Ottawa.

My next option is to call a local GSD breeder. I think they doing police and security training there. And see what they have and where they got them.

The exercise is going to be the frustrating part. I am trying to figure out a spot where I can take him to run with no hassle. It is a rural area, but heavily populated.

StaceyB
August 12th, 2005, 10:25 AM
This guy thinks he has solved the problem of dog attacks but is clueless to think that placing a muzzle on a dog(pit/type) or eliminating them all together is going to stop it. The use of the muzzle on so many dogs is going to cause more severe aggression more often. Also as far as I am concerned it is not the dog but the owner that creates these aggressive dogs. If they can't have a pit, they will choose another breed, raise it the same way and create the same problems with another breed. Does he plan on getting rid of them too or will he finally get it. Everyone else seems to know where the problem is. Where are the rights of a dog ?

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM
StaceyB: The rights of the dog are in the Bill they should have passed about changing the outdated animal rights. It's not a dog, its a sofa, as far as he is concerned.

And with this stupid bill it will not just eliminate the "Pit" breed, but any breed that looks like it. Because of the stupidity in making vague laws.

Yoho
August 12th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Everyone posting here seems to think that a muzzle isn't really a valueable preventative measure. My infant was just bitten by a dog on her face. I am asking the owner to put a muzzle on the dog to help prevent future bites. I would like to know if you think this will help or if there is anything else we can do that doesn't involve never allowing the dog and child in the same area. This pet is a member of the family and if we can't have them around then we will have to stop seeing that part of the family. I don't like the idea of asking the dog to be euthanized either.

If a muzzle is useless as so many of you have claimed above, then what can we do if a dog has already bitten?

Truly looking for humane options,
Yoho

StaceyB
August 12th, 2005, 10:56 AM
You are right, I have had several students over the years that are mistaken for a pit or pit cross that had no pit in them. To leave the decision up to the pound is just wrong. Some peoples guesses of breed combinations are out to lunch.

StaceyB
August 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
There is a difference between putting muzzle on a dog who is aggressive and has bitten someone than putting a muzzle on a dog who has never showed any type of aggressive behaviour.
Not that aggression or any kind is acceptable but I would try to determine the reason for the bite and deal with it through training. Temporary use of the muzzle would be ok but have them find the right one for the dog.

bluntman
August 12th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Yoho, Sorry your infant, was bitten, but we are talking about leashed dogs out for walks, not dogs on private property. We are not suggesting muzzels are useless, they are a tool to be used at the proper time, for the proper reason, They are not intended for freindly leashed dogs out for a walk. I do not allow my dogs to be around young children, they love kids, but since they are not around them every day in a famlily setting, It's not fair to put children or dogs in that situation. Now as for the dog that bit your baby, It should NOT be allowed access to your baby again. There are many options avalible to keep them separated, and you can still visit the family. But nothing can replace adult supervision at all time's, even if the dog is tied up, put in another room, muzzed, ect,, it only takes a child a second to figure out a way to get to the doggy. We don't know any details about what happend, but it would be a good idea to suggest, or insist that the dog go to obedience classes, this is proven to reduce the chances of a dog biting, but it is still no substute for common sence and supervision, since the dog has allready bitten.

gdamadg
August 12th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Yoho, I hope your infant recovers well and being so young does not cause problems with being around dogs in the future.

It does not matter the breed or size of the dog or cat. They should not be let near children of any age with out constant supervision. For both the pets and childs safety. It only takes a split second and either could take a gesture the wrong way and the situation goes bad.

I agree with sending the dog to obedience classes and seperated from the child. Not permanently though. If the dog shows improvement, with a muzzle (preferably nylon, not so scary for the child) and only for short periods of time, reintroduce them to each other. If the dog shows any sort of aggression again, then there is an obvious problem and has to be dealt with. This does not necessarily mean euthanization.

pitbulliest
August 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I talked to one of the people at the Toronto Humane Society yesterday..he actually recommended NOT to go with a cage muzzle, be cause it doesn't allow the dog to drink or pant as well as the nylon open fronted ones...I have a nylon one, but my dog hates it...I don't know how I'm going to train her to accept this stupid thing...

kellyla
August 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Kellya, it doesnt sound like your pup had too much trouble at all with the muzzle, how old is he? Did you introduce him to it gradually?

Boston is 20 months old and we have only had the muzzle for a week.We put it on him a few times in the backyard and walked and ran with him just to get used to it in the yard.I was planning on it taking him a few weeks to get the hang of it.When we took him to the game on Monday,I muzzled him to walk down to the field.He tried a couple of times to pull it off but then decided he wasnt going to try anymore.I took it off of him so he could gnaw on his bone and then put it back on just to see how long he would tolerate it and he did for over an hour.I took it off of him when we got back to the car.Since then I have left it by the door so he knows its there and a few times he has even brought it over to me(I guess maybe he figues he will get a treat if he brings it to me like he gets when he puts it on,LOL).So we really didnt have a problem(yet)with him wearing it.I was quite surprised how fast he took to it but then we all know how smart these dogs are.

kellyla
August 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I talked to one of the people at the Toronto Humane Society yesterday..he actually recommended NOT to go with a cage muzzle, be cause it doesn't allow the dog to drink or pant as well as the nylon open fronted ones...I have a nylon one, but my dog hates it...I don't know how I'm going to train her to accept this stupid thing...
Pitbulliest,I bought the wire cage muzzle and my Boston had no trouble panting or drinking.He had a bit of trouble at first judging the distance to his bowl with it on,but I just filled it up a little more so it was easier(we were outside so he could spill all he wanted,he certainly isnt the worlds neatest eater,LOL)We had him out on Monday night and it was still a little warm out and he panted just like he didnt have it on.I was able to feed him treats and his kibble.

babyrocky1
August 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Well I spent part of the day calling around pet stores for muzzles, Stacey B so far I cant find the one you recommended. Helmuts, my neighbourhood store recommended a mesh one with velcro. Super Pets is the only store I have found with the cage muzzle, wire, but it doesnt have anything that would go around his face, just the metal. Sounds like that in itself would be uncomfortable. I talked to Toronto Animal Control today, I registered Rocky. They seem to know very little about how things are going to work. They said that they are not funded to do any of the enacatment and thought it woud be done by the police :confused: They were very sympathetic and really arent into this anymore than we are! The people I talked to anyway. The one person told me his friend didnt have any trouble introducing the wire cage muzzle to their dog either and he was an older dog too. My Rocky is six. They did re-interate the fact that the final date is October 28th. Im still nervouse about running into problems before that so I want to have something in the way of a muzzle to carry with me by the 29th just in case.

babyrocky1
August 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Yoho I agree with all the advice people have given you so far, remember though we dont know the circumstances or the dog. One thing that is worth saying though is that the dog may have no idea what the baby is! My dog is a great boy and when my daughter first had her baby he was wonderful with him. Once he got to the "crawling stage" Rocky was obviously uncomfortable and even growled at him. I was terrified, but we socialised them under extremely strict supervision and now that the baby is a toddler Rocky understands that the baby is above him in the pack. Theu are still EXTREMELY well supervised but have a great relationship. I dont know how often the dog and baby would be seeing each other but it sounds as if it would be on-going so I would say to keep them apart until you can have a proffesional come and work with you.

babyrocky1
August 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM
This guy thinks he has solved the problem of dog attacks but is clueless to think that placing a muzzle on a dog(pit/type) or eliminating them all together is going to stop it. The use of the muzzle on so many dogs is going to cause more severe aggression more often. Also as far as I am concerned it is not the dog but the owner that creates these aggressive dogs. If they can't have a pit, they will choose another breed, raise it the same way and create the same problems with another breed. Does he plan on getting rid of them too or will he finally get it. Everyone else seems to know where the problem is. Where are the rights of a dog ?Unfortunately Stacey, Michael Bryant knows perfectly well that this stupid ban will not enhance public safety, as anyone who was at the public hearings knows, after the testimoney of so many experts against the ban...He is in it strictly for the media attention, he is completely un-ethical and is exploiting the bad reputation of the breed for his own political gain. The facts were presented to him-he chose to ignore them ! In Ontario it is another breed of dog that leads the stats in serious attacks. 30 to 12. those are the G.T.A. numbers. That in it self shows him to be just a media "HOUND!

StaceyB
August 12th, 2005, 06:58 PM
After I read your post I searched online to see if I could find the muzzle I had mentioned. I found a site with a pic. Like I said I would colour in the white writing so you don't notice it as much. www.omahavaccine.com Look for comfort muzzle.

babyrocky1
August 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks Stacey, that doesnt look bad at all, Ill just order one when I get home. The price is great too!

StaceyB
August 12th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I'm happy to help. I feel it looks less aggressive than some of the others. By adjusting either strap you can set the strap higher or lower on the nose as well as having the option of how tightly it fits.

Me and Kayla
August 13th, 2005, 01:00 AM
MY son's girlfriend and future daughter-in-law (I hope), does volunteer for the Humane Society, and they recommended the plastic cage muzzle (they have a pitbull too). She has bought one for me ($15.00), and says that several people have used it and loved it, and said that it is lighter and the dogs seemed to take to it better than expected. I'll let you know after the weekend. She also said that they were able to decorate the muzzle with flowers and graphics so that their dogs didn't do the Hannibel Lector look.

Me and Kayla

babyrocky1
August 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/226/img14000bu.jpg

gdamadg
August 16th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Now that is a cute face and yes it doesn't deserve a muzzle. How will we see that cute nose?

StaceyB
How did you possibly make the picture that big.

I can't look at the whole pic at once. Could you make it smaller please.

babyrocky1
Oh my Goodness!!!!! I did it I hope its not to big now!!!! This has taken me aboutsix months guys LOL Anyway back to the topic at hand, Kayla and me, I would love to hear how the plastic cage works as I will definately be needing something he can use for when hes running and playing, Stacey B I didnt realise that i couldnt order from that site so Im still looking for the comfort muzzle. I think, at least in my circumstances, I will need a variety of kinds for different purposes.

Dag Sabot
August 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM
OMG! He looks just like my dog!
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/dag-sabot/images/doggerston%200351.jpg

Copper'sMom
August 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Oh babyrocky that is a beautiful picture!!!! :love: I'll post it here again a little bit smaller for you!!

Geeze, muzzles are going to ruin our pictures of our pets too! I still haven't really looked at any yet, just the nylon one.

Schwinn
August 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM
OMG! He looks just like my dog!
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/dag-sabot/images/doggerston%200351.jpg

I don't see anything? Maybe it's the shirt... :D

babyrocky1
August 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Sorry Stacey B I seem to only be able to post humungas or too small! This however is a HUGE step in my onlline skills development LOL Thanks for fixing it Coppers mom. Schwinn if you meant Rockys pic its cause you have to move around the screen cause I posted it tooooo big but if you meant Thor then the joke went over my head LOL ! Dag Sabot, when I first opened the thread I thought where did Rocky get that shirt ha haha! I TOLD you they looked alike!!!

chico2
August 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
My Petsupply store is a great one,I am sure they have all kinds of Muzzles,the owner(or I should say the owners son,Colin) has a Pit-Bull himself.
I know they have expanded and now sell even by catalouge.
For anyone living in the Toronto area it is not too far to go.
here's their web-site:www.renspets.com

Schwinn
August 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Schwinn if you meant Rockys pic its cause you have to move around the screen cause I posted it tooooo big but if you meant Thor then the joke went over my head LOL !

I meant because he's wearing a camoflouge shirt. You know, cammoflouge is so you can't see something, so if someone's wearing the shirt...aw, forget it. It wasn't that funny to begin with.

(If you get in an accident with an army jeep, is "I didn't see it" a good excuse?)

babyrocky1
August 17th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the link Chico, I will download the catalogue from home. Im at work now so I dont want to do it from here.

babyrocky1
August 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM
OOOHHHH! Im on the moniter at work, I couldnt see the camolflouge, just a pattern NOW I GET IT....Not that bad Schwin LOL!

babyrocky1
August 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Hey Thors back!!! He was gone for a minute right????

Conners
August 22nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
My girlfriend and I went from petstore to petstore in London in search for a muzzle. There were plenty for small dogs, but nothing for the pittie breeds. The sales girls said that the demand was so high due to August 29th, that the suppliers can't make them fast enough to meet their quota.
I finally put my name on a waiting list from some o the better shops, but in the meantime, just to keep within the law, I found a comfort muzzle.
She loves her halti, so I didn't think the muzzle would effect her in the way it did. I wanted to cry by the look on her face. She's never looked that sad even when punished and I only had it on long enough to take 2 pics for my blog. She looks so pit-iful. *pun* but not laughing. I'll have to put the pics up on the picture page.
I do agree with muzzleing if your dog has a tendancy to nip or bite and my heart goes out to the little girl that got bit.
And not to take away from the bite, but a true pittie is not people aggressive, well perhaps if their owner was being threatened, but it's not in their nature. Dog aggression and people aggression are two intirely different stories.

Conners
August 22nd, 2005, 10:37 PM
Question???? :confused: How are you getting the pictures up on here? They are soooo adorable and I wanted to put up Shasta with her muzzle, but can't figure it out?????

chico2
August 23rd, 2005, 07:45 AM
I as most people know do not have a dog,but having to put a muzzle on my dog,for no other reason than being a Pit,would be heartbreaking.
I would feel I am punishing my dog for no reason at all and I soooo sympathize with all pittie-owners :sad:

Conners
August 23rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6999/762/400/shasta2.jpg
OH MOMMY! I HATE IT!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6999/762/400/shasta3.jpg
Petu tries to comfort Shasta...
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6999/762/400/shasta1.jpg
Thank you for taking it off Mommy.
But what did I do???

LL1
August 23rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
That muzzle should only be used for very short time frames, like a vet visit if needed. Nothing more.
After I read your post I searched online to see if I could find the muzzle I had mentioned. I found a site with a pic. Like I said I would colour in the white writing so you don't notice it as much. www.omahavaccine.com Look for comfort muzzle.

Conners
August 23rd, 2005, 11:05 PM
Shasta's comfort muzzle is sheerly temperary. That's why I didn't want to waste my money on it, but since I don't have a credit card to order on-line, and no muzzles in London yet, I HAD to get something temperarily just to keep within the law. I wouldn't advise this mussle to ANYONE! Once one of the stores call and say muzzles are in...she will get one that doesn't needs supervision over. You know when you read that, that's already a warning sign. Also 'temporary'.

gdamadg
August 23rd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Euro-Imports (http://andrewsimports.com/boxer.htm)

This is the muzzle I ordered Sprint, the company is based out of Grande Prairie, Alberta and ships to all of North America and some other countries. It was a $10 flat rate shipping cost, for Canada Post Express Post. I was waiting for a local store to get some in, but they haven't arrived yet and the deadline is soon. And I still haven't seen what type they ordered. I am going to take him to buy one of the nylon ones, just in case this doesn't arrive before Monday. And for short jaunts, to and from the truck and so on.

I think the hardest thing is going to be for him not to be allowed to play fetch with my friend Chris's dog Bonnie in front of the building. I am still trying to find an "enclosed" space that I can get permission to exercise him in. Soon we will all have depressed and fat "pit bulls".

Conners
August 24th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Soon we will all have depressed and fat "pit bulls".
It's sad that it's come to this. Years of training and socialization to make them the happy, secure dogs they are today. I wonder what the outcome will be when people cross the road or hurl insults. What will it do to us too? We're goint to be as much targets as our babes.
Did you read in the Q&A section of the new law what we should do if we or our dog gets harrassed or attacked? It simply says, call the police. So while you have a knife in your back and your dog is laying bleeding, you ask your attacker for his cell phone? UNREAL!
At least that muzzle sounds like it's really comfy for the dog. Do you order it and pay on delivery through Canada post or prepay?

gdamadg
August 24th, 2005, 06:33 AM
I prepayed for it. But I believe they have a couple different order methods. They have an email contact form or you could call if you have questions. So far this is the best Canadian based online company I have found. And the comfiest looking wire cage muzzle.

marciainmississ
August 24th, 2005, 08:35 AM
The date is getting closer and I don't know where to buy a proper muzzle for my roxy. Can someone help? I'm in Mississauga.

Hi fellow pittie owners, I havent gotten Rockys muzzle yet and Im scared to death about this whole thing, its coming up so soon. I know that the transition date is October 28th. but I wanted to get him prepared before the Aug 29th date incase of hassles. Its been sooo hot and hes not been coping with the heat well so I havent either purchased or started to try him out with it yet. I am so afraid that it will fundamentally change him! I dont want to pass on this anxiety to him! Has anyone started to introduce their pups to the muzzle yet? I know theres all sort of web sites and that he should probably get a cage muzzle, but Iid prefer to exchange info with people I "know" and have a conversation rather than just research. So whats up so far with everone? Sorry I didnt meen I dont want to hear from non-pittie owners with advice as well. I remember months back someone that did rescue posted about their experience with muzzles but I dont remember who...that was before I knew you all LOL!

lezzpezz
August 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=Conners]My girlfriend and I went from petstore to petstore in London in search for a muzzle. There were plenty for small dogs, but nothing for the pittie breeds.

Can you tell me which store you tried and I am going to try some alternate stores. Do you prefer a wire cage type muzzle or the Comfort muzzle?

gdamadg
August 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I tried most of the major stores, ie: PetSmart, PetValu, so on... They carry the cheaper cage muzzles, don't look that comfortable. The wire cage muzzle allows better panting, drinking and so on. I am buying one of both though. The comfort is easier to put on and good for walking to and from a vehicle/apartment.

Conners
August 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=Conners]My girlfriend and I went from petstore to petstore in London in search for a muzzle. There were plenty for small dogs, but nothing for the pittie breeds.

Can you tell me which store you tried and I am going to try some alternate stores. Do you prefer a wire cage type muzzle or the Comfort muzzle?
With my cognitive problem I'm sure to forget the names of some, but will try, SuperPet (they have my name on the list), PetSmart (that's where I bought the temperary Comfort Muzzle), I believe it's called Petastic on Richmond St that deals more on assessories, clothing for pets, etc. (WONDERFUL store by the way!), Pet Paradise and Pet Value. I'm not saying that in a couple of them they didn't have the nylon valcrove ones, but one yawn and off it goes, or I've seen the giant caged one's fully enclosed that would not allow drinking.
I was 'hoping' to get her a leather one much like her halti, which she likes, but with the added security of a buckled strap. I saw one way back months and months ago and I could have shoe dyed it to suit her colouring and pretty it up. I was hoping to find that kind again as it didn't give that aggressive look, looked comfortable and not hot or restricting other than doing the job at hand. I kick myself for not getting it now, but bill 132 had just passed at that time.

chico2
August 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Marcia in Mississauga,you are not that far from my regular petsupply store "Rens Pets".
I was there yesterday shopping for my kitties and asked about muzzles for Pits and they have already outfitted 30 Pit-Bulls and have a great assortment.
Very friendly and knowledgable staff. www.renspets.com.
Its in the corner of Trafalgar rd/Burnhamthorpe.I've been a regular customer there for 10 yrs and no,I am not getting any kick-back for mentioning them :D ,I just love the store and the family who owns it.

StaceyB
September 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Here it is again

Conners
September 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Here it is again
Now see...that one is elastic with the velgrove wheras mine is just a nylon. Seems the are making them differently. I like that it says muzzle in bold as who can dispute it being a muzzlw with the writing right on it.

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
You will have a hell of a time making one of the nylon ones fit. I have had to use them for a couple of boxers working on anti aggression and I literally has to tuck their lips in. I suppose if you bought one that was a size too big it would work.
I just noticed the post that said that the site I posted wouldn't ship them. I will see if I can find another in canada.

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 05:40 PM
www.aah-pets.com

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 05:44 PM
www.pawstoshop.com

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 06:00 PM
www.jefferspet.com Check this one out. It is a nylon mesh adjustable muzzle.