Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopting a new dog

ange7371
August 10th, 2005, 04:44 PM
This may seem like a strange question, but I am trying to adopt two dogs from a nearby shelter, and one of the dogs has small rice like pieces in his poop. The owner of the shelter became very defensive and said all their dogs are dewormed and the pieces are from eating milk bones. I live in Alberta and I know fleas are rare, but does that make a tapeworm rare. I have had two dogs before and never had any problems. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
"Small, rice like pieces" usually indicate tapeworms, a minor problem that is easily fixed!:)

Beaglemom
August 11th, 2005, 07:24 AM
I agree with LuckyRescue, it sounds like worms. This is easily confirmed by having a stool sample examined and then it is very easily treated with meds.

BMDLuver
August 11th, 2005, 07:38 AM
This may seem like a strange question, but I am trying to adopt two dogs from a nearby shelter, and one of the dogs has small rice like pieces in his poop. The owner of the shelter became very defensive and said all their dogs are dewormed and the pieces are from eating milk bones. I live in Alberta and I know fleas are rare, but does that make a tapeworm rare. I have had two dogs before and never had any problems. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
Dogs can indeed have been dewormed but still have tapeworm. Not every wormer treats tape.

Luba
August 11th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Agree very easily treated.

:D