Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shepherd Breeding Stock for sale?

lezzpezz
August 10th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Has anyone ever seen an ad like this?

"Attention Breeders! GS breeding stock for sale. 2 females, 2.5 yrs old. 1 solid black $500. (black stud available). 1 black and tan proven breeder $300. 1 purebred, US reg, white male stud, beautiful gentle proven $600. Serious inquiries only. ***-***-****"

I'm a little surprised to see this in a local paper....just wondering if this is how it is done :confused:

Beaglemom
August 10th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I've never heard of a reputable breeder selling off their breeding stock in this manner or for these prices! I'm a little shocked and I'm pretty certain that this is not a reputable breeder.

The only time I've heard of a breeder having to rehome their dogs was when a particular breeder died suddenly and other breeders and their veterinarians worked extremely hard to find good homes for the dogs. Most were adopted to loving homes and the others were kept by some of the breeders to be used as show dogs. I know of this one because I knew one of the veterinarians husband and he asked me to spread the word, this was never advertised at all, not even in local papers. The breeders and veterinarians used their contacts to find loving homes for the dogs.

I'm sure there are situations that some reputable breeders find themselves in where they would have to rehome their dogs, but I don't believe that they would do it in this manner. They would never have to resort to advertising in a local paper IMO.

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM
There was an ad like that a few months back in the newspaper, this guy was selling off his complete operation. He wanted $2500 for 5 females and one Male. This is not reputable breeding IMHO.

lezzpezz
August 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM
that's what I figured. I did a phone # search and came up with just a name, but not one affiliated with a kennel. Nothing on line either. Well, I guess it's good that they are selling off the dogs. Maybe they will go to a good home or a reputable breeder. I highly doubt, however, that another breeder would pick them up. Who knows what their story is!

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Some decide to get out of breeding and thats what they do..

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Some decide to get out of breeding and thats what they do..

Right. Sounds like a typical backyard breeder who decided pumping out puppies wasn't profitable enough....

db7
August 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Bull****, breeding quality dogs are worth thousands not hundreds,

DogueLover
August 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I see ads like that all the time, when "breeders" want to get rid of their old breeding stock and surplus puppies.
Although it is sad, that does happen, and although I don`t know that a reputable breeder would have to resort to an ad in the paper, who knows. Why not call and find out the story on the dogs?
That is what I did when I found the ad about the kennel reduction. Turns out that it was the same breeder that had been shut down 3 years prior to this time.
I would think that if this were a recognized kennel or breeder, there would have been others in the breeders circle or show circuit that would have been interested in the dogs.

I do agree with the post about the price of breeding stock. They are by no means "cheap" to acquire however, raising a litter of pups to 10 weeks with all the shots, vet care, food etc is not a profitable business either. Someone probably thought that there was money in the puppy business and found out that it just wasn`t the case.

If your curiousity gets the best of you, give them a call, what can it hurt? :pawprint:

mona_b
August 11th, 2005, 01:57 AM
This is definately not coming from a reputable breeder.This is definately a BYB.These dogs are probably not Titled or Champions.And 10-1 they have not been health and genetic tested/certified.

No reputable breeder would sell their breeding stock in the newspaper.And to be honest,I have never heard of a reputable breeder selling their breeding stock.If they are not wanting to breed anymore,they do get a hold of other reputable breeders.

Check out the age of the females.First off,they get OFA and OVC certified at the age of 2.They don't breed till they are the age of 2.

I would call just to be nosey..... :D

lezzpezz
August 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Not being a dog breeder or having any experience whatsoever in the field, I am afraid I would fall flat on my face while asking questions. What are the appropriate questions? Some examples are mentioned in this thread, but what else? And then what do I do with the info? Is there a professional GS breeder on this site that would be interested in persuing this and perhaps rescuing and rehoming these dogs, if that is indeed what needs to be done? I have the phone #, if someone wants to take on this issue. Am I allowed to give the # out? Seems to me on a previous thread, that is a no no!

Sneaky
August 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Has anyone considered that perhaps this person was breeding
pups because they enjoy doing so, and perhaps an illness or
moving, or some personal situation caused them to sell their dogs?
I dont think people should always jump on the "ooo its a BYB" or "ooo its not reputable" thing. Check out the facts. Call this person, ask them why they are selling their dogs, and if you can come by and check them out.
Dont jump to conclusions!

Lucky Rescue
August 11th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Not being a dog breeder or having any experience whatsoever in the field, I am afraid I would fall flat on my face while asking questions. What are the appropriate questions? Some examples are mentioned in this thread, but what else? And then what do I do with the info? Is there a professional GS breeder on this site that would be interested in persuing this and perhaps rescuing and rehoming these dogs, if that is indeed what needs to be done? I have the phone #, if someone wants to take on this issue. Am I allowed to give the # out? Seems to me on a previous thread, that is a no no!

You need to ask them what titles their "breeding stock" have - in either conformation or performance. What do they like about them? What about them makes them superior examples of the breed? Also if they have been tested and cleared of all genetic defects common to this breed and do they have the documentation to attest to this.

NO reputable breeder would need to advertise champion titled and health tested dogs in the newspaper, nor would they consider selling them intact for $500. They would have many contacts in the showing/performance world who would gladly take them. If no reputable GSD show/breeder wants them, that tells a great deal.

mona_b
August 12th, 2005, 01:36 AM
NO reputable breeder would need to advertise champion titled and health tested dogs in the newspaper, nor would they consider selling them intact for $500. They would have many contacts in the showing/performance world who would gladly take them. If no reputable GSD show/breeder wants them, that tells a great deal.

Exactly LR.

We are not jumping to conclusions,we are stating the facts.

I have raised GSD's for a little over 20 years.They came from the same reputable breeder who showed and titled her dogs.Do you honestly think you can get a Champion/Titled GSD for $500?Heck no.Your lucky if you can get a retired one for this price.A GSD titled in SchH III would cost a little over $2000.Once again,you will never find a reputable breeder selling their breeding stock or CH/Titled dogs in the paper.

Notice the ad said "GS" breeding stock?Ummmmm,they are not called GS,they are GSD as in German Sheperd Dog.

lezz,pm me the number and I will play dumb when I call..... :D

Beaglemom
August 12th, 2005, 08:21 AM
I agree with mona_b and LR. There is no way any reputable breeder would sell off their breeding stock for that price or advertise in the newspaper. I'm almost certain that these dogs are not titled nor are they genetically tested!

lezzpezz
August 12th, 2005, 10:14 AM
just noticed the same add in another local buy-and-sell paper. Guess the breeder really wants to move the dogs along. By the way, I was the one who wrote GS instead of German Shepherd, just for speed sake...the seller actually used "German Shepherd" but not Dog, or GSD. Just to clarify.....Thanks for the suggestions of questions to pose.

Rottielover
August 12th, 2005, 10:25 AM
A white Gsd I believe can not be shown. It is a DQ fault. Not standard. A ressessive gene that should not be passed down. I believe , correct me if I am wrong. I have yet to EVER see one in a show ring. So if he is selling one as a stud dog, that there tells you a HUGE NO NO..... AS well, as what was just said, a COE breeder ridding their stock would have a line up of people willing to have one of their dogs. No adds. And at 500$, and 300$, that does not start to cover what needs to be done to have a COE breeding stock. I know that one first hand. Having Harley's breeder as a mentor in confromation

Rottielover
August 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
can someone PM me the number I am more than willing to give this guy a hollar

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
A white Gsd I believe can not be shown.

Correct. A white dog cannot be shown in conformation, but may still complete in performance.

Duchess
August 12th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Actually, the white shepherd is shown in conformation as a rare breed. They can compete in the herding group in Ontario through the Rare Breed Club of Southwestern Ontario.

http://rbcswo.hypermart.net/

mona_b
August 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Actually they can be shown is Specialty Shows/Rare breed Shows.The judging is done the same way as your standard Conformation Shows.And they also obtain their Championship.I have been to a few of these shows.I know of a few White GSD breeders here in Ontario.All their dogs are health and genetic tested/certified.Here is a pic of "Sugar".She was pointed Champion a few years ago.She came in second in the Herding Group.

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I"m referring to the CKC/AKC conformation shows, where white is a fault.

There's a ton of other organizations where you can show anything you like, including alters.

Rottielover
August 12th, 2005, 01:24 PM
BUT am I not correct when I say in akc/ckc and ARDK, they are DQ faults. Isn't that sorta the same thing as having a long haired rottweiler. Or a white doberman ???. The major confromation rings do not permit white GSD, and they should not be bred, I would not call them rare, I would personally call it a ressessive gene that should not be bred

Wudjah
August 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Sorry for butting in here, but I just wanted to mention that a white German shepherd is in no way the same as a "white" doberman. White in a German shepherd is due to a colour gene (for lack of a better way to put it), while white in the doberman is due to a partial-albino gene, not a colour gene. White GSD's are not albinos, they are just white coloured dogs. IMO, I think they are gorgeous and I see no reason for them to be discriminated against.

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, white in Dobies is associated with many unfortunate health problems, and this is not true of white GSDs.

I think they're beautiful too!:)

BMDLuver
August 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM
We have two white GSD's on our street. They are both lovely dogs and have very soft coats. I like them but it doesn't appear to be an easy task to keep either of them clean. :eek:

Wudjah
August 12th, 2005, 05:04 PM
There was a white GSD that lived down the street from me when I was a kid. I used to think he was the smartest dog I had ever met (now I think it might have more to do with training, but anyhow...)...He would go for offleash walks with his owners and would actually look both ways before crossing the street! But YES, BMDLuver, white dogs ARE hard to keep clean -you should see my guy Riley, we just got back from camping and he's a mess!

mona_b
August 13th, 2005, 12:59 AM
BUT am I not correct when I say in akc/ckc and ARDK, they are DQ faults.

Yes you are right.

As for not breeding them,I see no reason why not.The health issues in White GSD's is no different than the health issues that my GSD would have.Their Hips and Elbows get tested the same way.They are used as SAR dogs,they compete in herding,agility and SchH.And they have been around for many years. :)

They are no different then your all around average GSD.And the trainig is no different with them either.They are just as smart. :)