Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does he do this?

oreokitty
August 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I take Kohl (2 year old Doberman Neutuered) to puppy daycare three times a week. He has been going since he was a puppy. We send him there for two reasons. One socializing him with other people and dogs, two we feel guilty leaving him at home all day while at work. However, the problem is... He is a jem at puppy daycare, playing with other dogs ect... When we go for walks he isn't so nice. As we are walking he growls and snaps at other dogs. What is with this? Why does he have a this personality change while we are on leash walking? He is the same at off leash parks hence we don't go there anymore. He is fine with people just dogs.

Thanks!

Roxy's_MA
August 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Maybe Kohl is acted up because you are there and he feels he needs to show off.

When ever I go to my mom's house, and I have Roxy with me mom always puts her cat in the bedroom. When I left my dog with my mom for the night, she got along with the cat just fine - there was no need to seperate the two. The minute I walked in the door to pick her up, she starting barking and bugging the cat again. I think she was only doing this to show off to me or possibly protect me. It is very weird becuase she does not bug my cats at home. She know "be nice" and listens.

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I know that some dogs do not socialize well on a leash. It could just be a matter of his thinking he must protect you from other dogs when out walking. If he's at home and a dog comes over for a playdate is he social with the other dog?

oreokitty
August 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM
We honestly have never had someone over with a dog... We have however take kohl for a walk with my brothers dog and he is good with him...

Beaglemom
August 10th, 2005, 02:59 PM
There could be a few things that are happening. He might feel like he must protect you from all these other dogs. Another reason could be your reaction when another dog is approaching. Do you hold the leash tightly or is it slack? Nervousness and tension have a way of travelling down the leash to our dogs and this may make him feel like you are uncomfortable because of the other dogs and so must protect you from them.

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM
He is a jem at puppy daycare, playing with other dogs ect...

Are there only puppies at this daycare? Most adult dogs won't harm puppies. If they are not all puppies, these are probably dogs he's known for awhile?

IF these are the only dogs he's ever been exposed to, maybe he doesn't like the strange dogs he meets on his walks or is fearful. How often do you walk him and take him to different places? Was he socialized with all sorts of dogs when he was younger?

Has he had obedience training?

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM
It may just be a case of leash aggression. The best way to find out would be to arrange a play date at your home to see how he reacts on home turf. If he's fine then I would think he feels that he has to protect you while on leash or that he doesn't like to be controlled in a space when another dog approaches. Some dogs have this problem but it can be worked on to reverse. I'm not a trainer so if this is the case I'm sure some of the board trainers will be able to help you out with this. :)

oreokitty
August 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Are there only puppies at this daycare? Most adult dogs won't harm puppies. If they are not all puppies, these are probably dogs he's known for awhile?

IF these are the only dogs he's ever been exposed to, maybe he doesn't like the strange dogs he meets on his walks or is fearful. How often do you walk him and take him to different places? Was he socialized with all sorts of dogs when he was younger?

Has he had obedience training?

No there is dogs there of all ages. Could be that he has been around these other dogs and is just use to them.. He has had training and is good on his leash only problem is when another dog comes our way. Noramally I know when he is going to growl and tell him to leave it about 40% of the time he will but.... He was socialized with other dogs when he was younger. He has been going to off leash parks and daycare since he was 6 months old...

We try to walk him at least twice a day... On the weekends we take him to different places but during the week we normally stick to our neibourhood..

tenderfoot
August 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Dobies are protective.
Thank you for doing such a great job socializing him.
He needs to learn better leash manners and this is doable. You need to work his commands before you go out so that you are both in a better place to have control in the challenging world. This gets him listening to you better and gets him that release of chemicals in his brain to be more cooperative. You have to practice with other dogs that you know so that you can repeat, repeat, repeat until he is successful. Right now everytime you pass another dog and he growls and you keep walking - it's failure. You need to ask someone to help you so that you can teach him that bad manners will not be tolerated, but good manners will get love & good attention.
So start by passing by person to person. Then progress to to passing person to dog and finally dog to dog. But you can only jump to the next level when the first level is good. He needs to know that you are upset with his bad manners and that you don't need protection. When he is good then praise.
He needs to feel that you are taking charge.

oreokitty
August 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks,

I know that he is a good dog. He listens well in the house. He knows his commands. I have signed us up for another training class which starts in September. This will socialize him more and also refresh both of us on how he is suppose to act. I know that he is doing his job and I am very thankful for him doing such a good job so much that people walk on the other side of the street (not because he growls but because he is a Dob and......)

I am going to look up Leash Agression more... We presently always take him for a walk on a Halti because it is easy to hold him and kind of scruff him when he does growl. I guess more control with the halti...

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 06:03 PM
When did the behaviour first start? What do you see yourself doing when you are approached by another dog? Half of the problem is the dog and half is usually the person. When working to fix it you have to deal with both halves of the problem.

Tango/Diesel
August 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM
StaceyB - check your "lean on me" post and contact me directly -- Our Dogs are brothers and I have important info for you.
Sandi