Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is attacking my small child

UCLABean
August 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hello All -

My 5 month old kitten is attacking my small child. We have tried spray bottles and food thearpy and nothing working. It is like he is her own personal play toy. He has scratches up and down his legs from her and this morning was the last straw for my husband. She attaked our son in his sleep and scratched his face. Both my kids and I love the kitty (even the injured party) and we don't want her banished. HAs this happened to anyone and are there any suggestions?

Thanks!

jessi76
August 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I'd keep kitty out of your kids room's. (to avoid scratches when they are sleeping), set up a kitty play area, complete w/ scratching post, catnip, and toys galore, and always supervise kitty & kids together. don't "play" with kitty w/ your hands (or your children's hands). Use appropriate kitty toys for play.

5 month old kittens are play machines!

I'm sure some others will have more suggestions for you. welcome to the board!

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
This is what kittens do. This is also why we do not adopt kittens out to people with small kids or babies.

Getting another kitten would be the best idea. They would play together and get their high energy out that way.

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Definitely agree with LR on all points.

TRICIA81
August 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yep that is exactly what kittens do. When we got our two kittens my daughter had so many scratches on her body. But as time went by the scratching stopped and now they don't scratch her at all.I think alot of it has to do with having another kitten in the house also.Cause we had sasha for two weeks and then got our other one. SO they could play with each other. Now they love to play but never scratch my daughter anymore.I would make sure you keep your kids door shut when they sleep at night, so the kitten does not scratch up their face. Good luck!!

robsug
August 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
This is EXACTLY the reason that I despise cats! :mad:
I think they are too unpredictable and can be very aggressive.
I'd reccomend a dog! :thumbs up

her122
August 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM
oddly enough, with our tabby the only way to get him to go away was to hug him. We tried everything..... including water, noise, blowing in his face, licking his nose..... and everything else under the sun. In the end, it was the hugging. Still works with him.

But that was my situation. I don't know how usefull that would be for yours.

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2005, 05:03 PM
This is EXACTLY the reason that I despise cats! I think they are too unpredictable and can be very aggressive

That is ridiculous. It's not "unpredictable" that a kitten would be very playful and full of energy - it's to be expected. Anyone who knows anything about kittens would know this and not be shocked at it. This is NOT "aggression".

Do you think puppies don't bite?

People should learn something about pets before getting them. If they did, the shelters would not be packed.

doggy lover
August 12th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I have a cat with attitude too, she has chased after people aswell, when she does it I pick her up and close her in a room while the people are there, you can't do this with your child as he lives with you. I got another kitten a couple of years later and she did get better, she still has anger management problems :D but she doesn't go around attacking people anymore. So another kitten if you can afford it is a good idea.

chico2
August 12th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Robsug,sorry,but you don't have a clue what you are talking about :evil:

TRICIA81
August 13th, 2005, 07:07 PM
how can you say that a dog is better. i guess you don't watch the news then right. cause i see more bites on tv regarding dogs then cats.And a dog bite can be worse than a cat bite.Don't get me wrong i love dogs to but i just hate when people write stupid msgs saying that one animal is better than the other. :evil:

doggy lover
August 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM
How many people report cat bites? I have been bitten twice by dogs (none my own) but would hate to think how many times I have been bitten by cats(mostly my own). Most vets would rater work with dogs than cats at least you can muzzle a dog that might bite.

Freyja
August 13th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Consider the cat's age. This is normal kitten behaviour. Not desirable for sure, but developmentally, this is where the kitten is at. It is like calling a nine month old baby bad for putting everything she finds in her mouth. Kittie and kiddie are just going to have to be watched for a while that is all.

justncase
August 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM
An acquaintence , who had children, used this technique to stop her kitten from biting and scratching her children. She said she realized that the kitten ws treating her children like a sibling and that's the way kittens treated each other. Roughhousing sometimes. To a kitten that can mean, anything goes. So, during playtime, the kitten would bit or scratch ( if this was done in defense after being treated roughly then this wouldn't work) her son would stop everything and hold perfectly still and squeak in a high voice,' Ouch, Tippy, that hurts." The kitten realized that all play had stopped so she stopped too. After awhile, after this had been repeated afew times, so did the biting and scratching.

mona_b
August 13th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I have a cat with attitude too

Me too.Or should I say I did..LOL

We adopted Casper at 8 weeks.He was a sweet loving kitten.Then he turned into Cujo.He attacked us,grabbed on to what ever he could,legs,hand,arms,and "locked' his teeth into us.No words could do anything.We realized after 2 weeks of having him he was deaf.I came on here and asked for help.I tried everything LR suggested.Didn't work.He was a deaf,stubborn kitten.She suggested another kitten.So 6 months later we adopted an 8 week old little sister for him.To make a long story short,"She" put him in his place.... :D

He mellowed out so much.Yes the odd time he turns into Cujo.But trust me,not like it used to be.He has become so loving and gentle.He'll be 2 in a few weeks and Winnie is 18 months.

I would,if possible get a playmate for him.You will notice a difference.

Kittens are kittens.What yours is doing is natural.

Do you have toys for your kitten to play with?

Freyja
August 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM
The toys question brought something to mind. I was told that the kids were not allowed to play with the dog unless they had a toy in their hand, this might work with the cat as well?

chico2
August 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM
To me,this question is a nobrainer,although I agree,another kitten would be a solution,supervising babies and ANY animal is the most important.
Kittens want to play and wiggling little toes or fingers are very attractive targets to them,it does not make them aggressive or unpredictable,they are just being kittens.
In my lifetime with cats,I've had many bites and a million scratches,mostly my fault :D but a baby should not be put in a situation where he/she becomes a kitten-toy.
Please do not blame the kitten for being a kitten,get him a little pal and you'll have a great time watching these little guys play :D

monman
August 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
If you don't want to give up the kitten, I would recommend declawing. My kittens have had no ill effects from the declawing over the last couple of months.

Freyja
August 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Oh, don't go there about declawing!!

chico2
August 14th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Monman,you might be a new member of the Forum,but declawing should never be an option.We have discussed it at lenght several times and it's an amputation NEVER recommended.

Lucky Rescue
August 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I would recommend declawing

And then if the kitten bites? What then? Have the teeth removed?

If a person simply cannot deal with a bite or scratch from a young and frisky pet, then I would recommend not getting an animal that has teeth or claws (or a beak either.)

Declawing incorrigible adult cats whose only other option is euthanization is one thing, although I don't agree with that either. Mutilating a kitten for perfectly normal behavior is quite another and is beyond unethical.

A miniumum amount of the most basic research BEFORE getting pets would go a long way to stop the abuse and abandonment of them when they fail to be idealized versions of someone's desires.

CyberKitten
August 14th, 2005, 05:42 PM
All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! First, someone responds by making a totally incorrect and evem mean remark about cats (Pls apologize!) and then someone recomemnds declawing!! <Taking a deep breath>

To the original poster, just make sure your kitten is not in your children's bedrooms at night. Teach the kids how to care for the kitten (sometimes kids can be rough without meaning to) and supervise at all times.

Kittens want to play - any time of the day but gradually they will adhust to your schedule.

As for the above mentioned remarks that scandalized me, I hope the one made about the cat was in jest or hopefully the poster will apologizer (and hopefully the mods are paying attention - they certainly seem to close enough threads for much less) and ass for declawing, it is cruel and illegal in most countries and many vets do not do it unless it is medically necessary. There are many good resources online about why one should not declaw - kittens and cats NEED their claws and there are many alternatives, training a cat being the main one.

Good luck!!!

monman
August 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM
There are also many articles showing the other side of the story on declawing, debunking many of the myths that many of you so quickly believe. Although I'm not a proponent for declawing, I definitely urge people to look at both sides rather than be swayed by overzealous anti-declawing advocates. I love and care for my cats just as much as any of you do and declawing was an option that (after much research) I decided to choose. They are both in perfect health and regularly visit the vet and have absolutely no behaviour problems, including biting, urinating where they're not supposed to or being overly aggressive.

AND, the fact that you are dismissing the fact that this kitten is scratching a baby shows that there's definitely something wrong with your way of thinking.

All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! First, someone responds by making a totally incorrect and evem mean remark about cats (Pls apologize!) and then someone recomemnds declawing!! <Taking a deep breath>

To the original poster, just make sure your kitten is not in your children's bedrooms at night. Teach the kids how to care for the kitten (sometimes kids can be rough without meaning to) and supervise at all times.

Kittens want to play - any time of the day but gradually they will adhust to your schedule.

As for the above mentioned remarks that scandalized me, I hope the one made about the cat was in jest or hopefully the poster will apologizer (and hopefully the mods are paying attention - they certainly seem to close enough threads for much less) and ass for declawing, it is cruel and illegal in most countries and many vets do not do it unless it is medically necessary. There are many good resources online about why one should not declaw - kittens and cats NEED their claws and there are many alternatives, training a cat being the main one.

Good luck!!!

Tigger
August 15th, 2005, 08:38 AM
The OP has not come back and several ideas have been posted. As the thread has now taken a turn towards a debate on declawing, it is being closed.

Monman, before you judge the members of this board, get to know them. Starting off with a comment like this overzealous anti-declawing advocates is against the rules. Please respect all members and their differing views.