Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swollen Paw

hovis
August 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
My Dog Winston has swollen pads on one of his front paws. Other than this he seems quite normal. Although I have to say quite comical on three legs. He does not complain when I clean it. Although he seems quite nervous. I can not find any cuts or objects in the paw that may be causing the problem. Also normally if he has a stone etc in his paw he will bring the paw to you so that you can remove it for him. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Hovis

SnowDancer
August 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I just read your profile to determine Winston's breed - read in Bio portion that Winston is a Dachshund. The fact that you have been unable to find cuts or pebbles etc. in his paw is worrisome in that he is limping. I would get Winston to the vet very FAST. It may well be something minor, but this was the first sign of my Dachshund's NECK disc disease. I have capitalized Neck, because not every Dachshund owner knows that the neck can also be affected and that the limping paw is the symptom to watch for. I hope your vet has experience with Dachshunds - mine does - and will recognize possible problem. Diagnosis will require an X-Ray - should also X-Ray back as well to check for extent of calcification of discs. Please report back on how Winston is doing. I really hope that it is not his neck.

Beaglemom
August 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Please take him to the vet. The fact that he is limping and his paw is swollen is enough to warrant a vet visit.

Just like SnowDancer said it could be minor or something much more serious. My dog started limping one day as well. She wouldn't put her front paw down at all. When we checked we found no cuts or anything on her paw, but we did notice that one of her toes was quite swollen. We took her to the emergency vet and it turned out that she had broken her toe.