Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ringed Turtle Dove

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
This morning I have a greyish/white,dove/pigeon at my feeder,she has a black band on the back of her neck.Looked her up in my bird-book and it's a Ringed Turtle Dove.
It says they were at one point kept as pets and now I am worried she's someones lost pet..
I am going to google and learn a bit more than my book can tell me,does anybody know anything that could help??
She's beautiful!! I am assming it's a she,she's very slender and kind of girlish looking.

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
One of our adoptees has a male ringed turtle dove. He's a real sweetheart. When you visit he comes out to the top of the fridge to see what's going on in the kitchen. Will this one let you approach it?

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 09:25 AM
So far I have been watching her from my window with binoculars(looking for a leg-band),but I will go out and see if she will let me near her.
I wanted to leave her be,she spent a lot of time drinking out of my bird-bath,obviously very thirsty.Right now she's eating seeds..

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Well at least she knows how to fend for herself outside so that's a good sign.

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Well,I went outside,she was eating off the ground in the company of a couple of mourningdoves,they flew away as I approached(very carefully)she stayed until I was within a couple of feet,then she flew onto a branch just above my head.
I tried coaching her down,but off she went,obviously a good flyer.
I put out a flat dish with seeds on the ground I have a feeling she'll be back..
I'll check with HS if anyone has reported a missing Dove.
Thank's for your reply...I'll keep an eye on her,if she comes back.She had big kind of reddish eyes,she's so pretty :love:

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I've no doubt she's in very good hands with you keeping an eye. :thumbs up

pags
August 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Aw poor little thing. Utterly exquisite birds!! I hope she hasn't been lost long if she is indeed domesticated. But I agree with BMD.. No better backyard to end up in than our chico's. :D

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I googled and it seems most are domesticated,but some excist in the wild,usually escapees..
Here is a pic,for people who don't know what they look like.
Thank's for the compliments,but unless I catch her,there is not much I can do,other than feeding her...the problem is,I have another million birds(seems like it sometimes :D ) :D

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 10:54 AM
YAY she escaped, fly for your life!!

She'll probably stick around your place Anita if you've got bird seed there! ;)

pags
August 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM
That's what I was thinking, chico. I couldn't imagine she'd stray far from your place now that she's found a source for food and water.

Wudjah
August 12th, 2005, 05:30 PM
We had a stray ringneck brought in a few weeks ago. It was very friendly and just flew to the people who eventually called the A/C to pick it up. I came very close to adopting it, but I found out that one of our cruelty agents already had one so I let him adopt it instead. They are very pretty birds! I hope that this one can survive the winter on it's own!!!

chico2
August 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I was hoping she would come back,but I have not seen her again :sad:
I am keeping an eye out for her.
I have a large group of pigeons,mourningdoves and other birds at my feeders,and she seemed to stick with the mourningdoves.
I am hoping she is someones pet and maybe found her way home,but I guess that's wishful thinking :confused:
I at one time had a banded white pigeon here and tried desperatly to find out where she was from.A young Afghani man came to my house one evening and told me she belonged to him and was a very expensive high-flying pigeon from Afghanistan.He had a wonderful pigeon-coop,with all kinds of rare pigeons,just a few houses up from me.
After a few days of trying,he finally got her and brought her home,she still came for visits,but knew her way back home.I was sooo relieved :thumbs up

chico2
August 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM
My Ringed Turtle Dove is back,she was here this morning and is here right now,she seems to like the Niger-seeds under my Finch-feeder.
I am not sure if I should just leave her be,she is definetly afraid of me,
But maybe someone has reported her lost,she does not seem tame to me...but I'll call HS on Monday to find out.

dthomas
September 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
What ever happened to the Ringed Turtle Dove in the discussion? Did she manage to make it through the winter?

We have had one in our backyard, and at our feeder over this summer, and have become somewhat attached, at least to the extent that we want to try to help it to survive. We have two dogs, so attempting to capture and keep the Dove, we call it Buddy, is not a very practical idea.

Any suggestions?

chico2
September 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
DThomas,this was a while back,but after talking to some people including Humane Society,it was suggested I try to catch her,as she would not survive the winter.
I was told they are not wild,mostly kept as pets in cages(at least in Canada),they are probably wild in warmer countries.
I failed to catch mine and she more than likely perished from the cold:sad:
If you can catch her,it would be great,even if you don't intend to keep her,there could be a sanctuary who would take her,or Humane Society(Oakville HS takes birds)..they are beautiful aren't they//Good Luck!