Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!! 2 yr old Pom is peeing in my bed & on Couch!!!

MMaslek
August 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM
My 2 yr. old female Pomeranian who was housebroken started peeing on top of the furniture about 6 months ago. We reverted to "puppy mode", started crating her at night & when we left. Put up gates on bedroom doors. We have a fenced in yard & we let the dogs out quite often but only for 10-15 minutes at a time unless we're outside with them. I give treats when they come in. She seems to be getting worse. If the gate is let down for 2 minutes, she'll run in my room & pee on the bed, even if she just came inside. This morning, my husband let the dogs out (direct from the crate), she peed, left them out for 20 minutes, then let them in. I got up as he was letting them in, poured a cup of coffee and walked into the living room. She had peed on the couch. I showed her the couch, said Bad Dog & put her back in the crate. I hate!!!!! hate!!!!! hate!!!!!! crating her during the day, but I'm at wits end. She's MY baby but hubby says if I don't get it under control she's gone. My other dog is an 8 yr. old lab who is totally housebroken since she was 14 weeks old. I don't crate her, never needed to. HELP!!!!

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Have you had her to the vet for a checkup? Perhaps it's a medical reason that she is doing this?

SarahLynn123
August 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Stop by the vet and get a urine sample taken. One of my dogs peed all over the house it was because of a urinary track infection (My Spelling is horrible!) she was also incontinent and had crystals forming in her urine. Once those problems were taken care of we haven't had a single problem!

If everything checks out fine at the vet then maybe a behavioralist is in order. I hope this all gets figured out soon!

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Agree. When a housebroken dog starts peeing, it's time for the vet.

When my 4 year dog peed all over, and even on my neighbour's sofa, she had a painful bladder infection. A course of antibiotics cured that.

Get a pee sample in a little cup from her morning urine and have it tested.

Also, is she spayed?

Please don't use corrections or punishments until you know it's not a medical reason.

SarahLynn123
August 10th, 2005, 09:43 AM
If you cant get pee in a cup (I cant!) Talk to your vet and have your dog dropped off in the morning and they will call when you can come pick her up. I usually drop mine off on the way to work and pick her up at lunch. They never charge me for an examination fee just the cost of the test! She also comes home smelling of treats so I know she is spoiled there.

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM
When the dog squats to pee you slide a saucer underneath to catch the urine sample. Some dogs it works with.

MMaslek
August 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM
My problem is she's only peeing on my bed and on the couch & outside. No accidents in her crate or on the floor or anywhere else. It's an "I'll show you issue". I know professionals say dogs aren't vindictive but most people who own dogs disagree. She's not spayed and it is worse around her puppy period, perhaps she has puppy PMS.

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Why is your two year old female pom still not spayed?

MIA
August 10th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I just want to echo the get her to the vet comments! Have you noticed that it's more frequent when she's in heat? I would strongly recommend a vet visit and spay if you aren't showing her.

For now, I would tether her to you when you are home, that way she is never out of sight, put her pack on a schedule for peeing as if she was an 8 week old pup.

Yes dogs will pee to say they are unhappy, my dog does it and he will look me straight in the eyes and pee on the speakers BUT it's still worth checking out medically, she could have stone or infection etc, best to be sure. :thumbs up

MMaslek
August 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
We've kept the option of breeding her open. She's generally an awesome dog with a little bit of brat mixed in. I am going to take her to the vet but I still think it's an attention issue. After her incident on the couch this morning, I put her outside then crated her for a while. She's been on my lap since, just wanting love. She doesn't like to share me with anyone & she was gated out of my room this morning. Usually, I let her in bed for cuddles for a few minutes after hubby leaves for work.

MIA
August 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Breeding is serious work and I have no idea where she is from but hopefully you have a mentor if you are choosing to become a breeder, there is also health testing, showing and all the things that go along with breeding, not to mention the cost and responsibility for the puppies that are born.

Little dogs are harder to house train and require way more work than a large dog, they can revert as well there could be something wrong.

My one dog marks but I know when he totally unloads his bladder there is something wrong, as well it's best to be sure as a simple infection can turn into something worse, or if she has the start of crystals that can turn into stones.

mona_b
August 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I would definately have her checked by a vet.

Not sure if you know this,but you never ever use the crate for punishment.

As for the breeding situation.

Does the Sire and Dam of your dog Champions?
Have they been health and genetic tested/certified?
Are you showing your dog?
Is she a Champion.
Has she been health and genetic tested/certified?

Reputable breeders breed to better the breed.
BYB's don't.

Hving her spayed will be better in the long run for her.... :) :)

SarahLynn123
August 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Please still see a vet. I took my dog for a run and she was laying on the couch wide awake while I was petting her and she peed on the couch. She's on medication now but see a vet first to rule out a medical problem.