- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


new puppy - throwing up&breathing funny

cheechs mom
August 10th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I am supposed to be picking up my new chi pup tomorrow night. My breeder always takes the pups to the vet the day before. She emailed me to tell me when they got there he was breathing funny and threw up. The vet checked hime out - this is what the breeder said:
"The vet couldn't find anything definite wrong with him but he wants to do another xray in a week. He said it could be an esophagus problem but it doesn't really look like that because he's so extra fat and pups with that problem are very skinny.
He also thought it could be a soft palate which is extremely common in toy breeds but he did get a good look at his throat and then didn't think it was that. We also did an xray and the trachea looked fairly normal, there was a lot of fat to look through.
He has never done anything like that at home just when we got to the vet clinic."
She wants me to decide if I want to take him and keep an eye on him and then bring him to his appt for next week. or if I want to wait till after that appt. or if I want to wait for a future pup. I know he's really fat - he was one of 2 pups in the litter so he eats all he wants.
I've never had a dog before and although I've done a TONN of reading (this website is the reason I didn't buy one at Petland) I'm not sure if this is a SERIOUS problem of if this is just something that needs to be monitered.
Does anyone have any advise???????

August 10th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I would definately wait till you know the extent of this pups health.

Reputable breeders sell healthy pups.And if they know a pup is sick,they wouldn't sell it to anyone.They would keep this pup and deal with the health issues.And knowing they probably couldn't show it,it would definately be their pet.

How old is this pup?

Just a question.Does this breeder have their Sire and Dam health and genetic tested/certified?And do they show thier dogs?

August 10th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Try to be as absolutely sure that you are getting a healthy puppy before you take him/her home. Perhaps the breeder will provide you with a vet report or if not available, provide you with the vets contact information so you can get the details yourself. You may find that once you take possession that the breeder will absolve themselves of all responsibility for the puppies health (alternatively, you may have a wonderful breeder who is going to stand behind their breeds and will do everything to ensure that your new puppy is ready to go). Do some leg work now to avoid some heartbreak later. Best of luck. :pawprint:

cheechs mom
August 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
He is 8 weeks old. The breeder is very reputable and was recommended by a vet here in the city and other dog owners. She is a F/T dog groomer in Steinbach and uses a Vet out in stienbach that she's given me the name and phone # of. She had taken him in yesterday to get the health cert. She also said that his appt next week would be at her cost and that if any problems arise she would take the pup back. I think she is just being cautious to make sure he isn't sick becuase he's only threw up the one time. I also know she knows I'm already attached to him because I come out to visit quite a bit. Whether something happens once home or there I'm still going to be heartbroken. I have been visiting him since he was 3 weeks old.
Could it just be overreacting/caution because the only time he threw up was just after being transported? My dad had a dog that always got sick after being in the car.
I was told she's extremely cautious about letting her pups go as she once called a puppy owner I know and told them to wait a few more days because her puppy didn't seem ready to go home yet as he was still going to mom every once in a while. In the contract I signed there is also a clause saying if at any time I can't care for the pup to contact her first. She has 2 dogs that she's taken back. One becuase the owner died and the other because the people decided to have kids and didn't want her anymore.
The sire and the dam are genetic tested and certified. She shows and breeds dogs and keeps many as her own pets. She has a wonderful place in the country that she gave us the "full tour". Her kennel area for the male dogs (kept seperate so theres no "accident" pregnancies) has radiant floor heat in the building and doggie doors to the outside runs.
She has one pup that she kept as a pet that stopped growing at 10 weeks old. Although she can't show him he is one of her dear pets.
If she adds to the contract that she is responsible for any problems that arise from this would that be enough? I really want to bring him home but I guess I'll call the vet this am and find out if its just a precaution or if he's worried about something serious.

August 10th, 2005, 08:23 AM
If you decide to take this puppy I would definitely get her enrolled in Pet Insurance ASAP!

Your breeder can even do it for you. They have a breeder plan at Pet Plan that gives you free coverage for the first 6 weeks you have the pup and then you can continue the coverage yourself.

August 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I hope the little one ends up being just fine. Sounds like the breeder is a responsible person. I'm sure it's difficult to know what to do when you have been waiting for her for so many weeks.

cheechs mom
August 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
If you decide to take this puppy I would definitely get her enrolled in Pet Insurance ASAP!

Your breeder can even do it for you. They have a breeder plan at Pet Plan that gives you free coverage for the first 6 weeks you have the pup and then you can continue the coverage yourself.

Thanks for the advise on that. I'm waiting for the vet office to open right now so I can talk to him directly to find out if its just a precaution. He can't find anything wrong yet but because he threw up and was breathing funny she says he can't give the dog a cert of health - till he's certain. I just want to confirm that with the vet.
Then I have to decide what precautions to take if I bring him home.

August 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I didn't think that Pet Insurance would cover any pre-existing conditions so even if you got the insurance - it probably wouldn't cover whatever this may be. I've looked at Pet coverage, and it doesn't seem like it covers a whole lot except for injuries - of course, it could be different here than in Canada. I'd definitely look at the fine print before you spend any money on it. :pawprint:

cheechs mom
August 11th, 2005, 03:09 PM
We are still going to look into the pet insurance. We did decide to bring him home as he was fine yesterday and I worked out with the breeder that if he gets sick I can call her and decide if I should take him to the vet here in the city or the vet she uses out in the country (depending on how quick he needs to be seen) also, she didn't take the payment for him yet as she wants to find out IF there is something wrong first. She has the deposit for him. If we find out there is a problem I can still either bring him back to her and get a new puppy or keep him. If I keep him and need surgury/treatment to fix whatever ails him I will use the money that I was paying to her to fix the problem. If he has a problem that can't be fixed but can be 'treated' and taken care of with diet then she will not take any more money and she will give me another puppy from a future litter as well.
I thought that was all more than fare. I picked him up about 19 hours ago and she's checked in 3 times so far. He did throw up a couple times but once was after an exciting play session just after he peed in his litter box and another time was shortly after drink a whole bunch of water. He has eaten a bit this afternoon and seems perky.

August 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Sounds like you have a really great breeder there. So nice to hear. We expect pictures of the little one now that he's home! :D

August 11th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I would love to see some pictures of the little guy.

cheechs mom
August 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM
here he is with one of his 'favorite' toys This was when we got home yesterday

August 11th, 2005, 03:53 PM
He soooo cute! What a little angel :angel:

August 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I would keep Nutrical or Karo syrup on hand for the little munchkin too. These wee ones tend to play hard and crash hard, a dab of Nutrical or Karo rubbed on their gums gives them back glucose that is lost way too readily. Nutrical would be the 1st choice...ask the breeder or vet.

cheechs mom
August 11th, 2005, 11:15 PM
yes I am going to get some nutrical. My friends that have chi's they got at "petland" were told to use syrup but I think it would be better to have nutrical especially for days he doesn't eat alot because there is other nutrients besides suger - according to the vet. I talked to him on the phone today and that was his suggestion.
I can see it too because he wants to play play play and then boom sleeping. He did throw up a couple times but its usually when playing and getting too excited. I find if we leave him be in his bedroom he does better and just take him out for 1 on 1 play instead of lots of visitors.

August 12th, 2005, 06:48 AM
He's a great looking guy. Glad to hear that you found a breeder who will be there for you (and him) all the way. Hope that all will work out well and that he will quickly turn your house into a chi-speedway. :pawprint: