Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What age to puppies begin to loose there baby teeth

Zues is my baby
August 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I would just like to know what age do puppies begin to loose there baby teeth. The other day I was Playing with Zues and I noticed he was missing his bottom front 2 teeth he is now 14 weeks old. Were those teeth ready to come out or did he bump himslef and made them fall out. keep in mind he plays kinda rough and as well he is sooo heavy to begin with that when he goes down the stairs he kind of dose a good old face plant just about every time. He is also stuffing his face in the grass and trying to eat it can this be the reason and when will he be getting his adult teeth?

Roxy's_MA
August 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I think there might be a typo 1 week? Do they even have teeth at that age? OK I am going to assume you meant 10 weeks.

I am not sure about other dogs, but mine dogs was about 4 months when she started losing baby teeth.

Zues is my baby
August 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
So then this can mean that it's just about time for him to be loosing them. I don't have to worry that He didn't do it to himself or we did it to him wrestling.

Roxy's_MA
August 9th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Sound normal :thumbs up - I read that is 3 months they should start losing teeth.

Zues is my baby
August 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Right on! then he is normal :evil:

kandy
August 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Smaller breeds that mature faster also lose their teeth earlier. Our newfs started losing baby teeth at about 4 1/2 months. Hazel is almost 6 months now and has most of her 'big girl' teeth.

Zues is my baby
August 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Zues is a NEo Mastiff he is now say about 4 months would that be to soon for large breeds then. it just makes me un easy to play tug-o-war with him now I'm afraid that he will loose all of his teeth. As silly as that sounds.

Zues is my baby
August 10th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Hey Guys I took a look at his teeth lastnight and he has gotten new one to replace the ones that fell out already. So I guess they were ready to come out. Thanks for the help! :highfive:

kandy
August 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM
That's good that he has new ones coming in. The small teeth in the front are the first to be replaced - so be prepared for him to start wanting to chew things like crazy! He'll be teething for about the next month or so. I would be careful playing tug - but you can still play. You just wouldn't want to jerk him around by the tug toy. Steady tugging won't effect his teeth - just make sure that you aren't allowing him to jerk his own head around either. :D

Frozen bones work really well for teething puppies, or frozen kongs. You might look around the house and make sure that it is puppy proofed once again. I know that Hazel starting trying to chew on things that she had never even paid any attention to when she was teething. :p

Zues is my baby
August 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Belive it or not he really dosn't chew on everythign in sight he really likes to chew on his stuffed squeeky snake and his tennis ball. But he dose definatly like to eat anything that is on the ground including rocks. He is a weardo. We did luck out with the chewing thing I guess. But he also likes to eat the soil out of my potted plants and now I am noticing he is pooping it out (that must not feel good). We have put the deturrent on the plants and it seams to attract him even more. I don't get him sometimes, I guess he's growing like a weed.

kandy
August 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Now that he is teething, he'll want to chew more than before. Watch him with the tennis balls - the fuzz can block them up if they eat it. Parker really liked to eat rocks so we taught him the 'leave it' command. He doesn't eat them anymore - it's like he realizes that if we see him, he'll be forced to give it up anyway. Alot of dogs won't pass any rocks they eat, or the rocks will get caught in the intestines. Either way, they can do major damage. Parker's new thing is dead rabbits and fish at the lake! :yuck: Hazel loves them too - so we have to watch them pretty close.

If he's eating dirt, he may have a deficiency of some kind that his body is telling him he needs iron or something. There is also a name for the condition if they eat lots of things that aren't food but I can't remember the name of it. I know that it has been discussed here so you might try to do a search. Good Luck!

Zues is my baby
August 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Well thnx for the advice about the eating thing. May be when he goes in for his boosters on the 23rd I'll ask about the eating dirt thing, now that brings up a concern that it could be something worng, or could it be becasue he's a neo mastiff and they grow so fast? The rocks he dosn't seem to swallow them he grabs ones that are big enough that he just chews on them but that will eventually break his teeth. that silly boy. I guess he'll have to learn the hard way. :thumbs up