Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeling guilty.. any ideas??

sammiec
August 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I haven't been able to walk Briggs much lately, and I know that she's really sad about it. I have been getting more and more uncomfortable waiting for this baby to arrive and it's difficult to get out and walk her for a couple hours like I used to.
We play fetch in the backyard and when I water the garden she runs through the water and LOVES it, but it's not the same as getting her walks out.
During the day she is sitting at the patio door sighing and staring out the window.. :( It makes me sooo sad!
I won't let her out back unsupervised. I don't feel comfortable with that. And for the remainder of this week I am still working (but from home) and unfortunately I can't bring the computer outside! So I can't sit out there all day with her..

Do you have any ideas how I can help her get more exercise and not be so sad to be inside??? Looking at her is breaking my heart!!!

Luba
August 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Oh Sammmmmmmm
Don't worry about it! When the baby comes you will have baby in stroller and beautiful Briggs walking beside you :D

All in good time! Just give her a few more cuddles and Mikey can take her once and awhile when you can't take her.

Don't worry about it, she is probably 'trying' to get you to feel sorry for her.
Also you're home more now and maybe you're interfering with some private time of hers HAHAHHAH :crazy:

Luvmypit
August 9th, 2005, 12:44 PM
For one once you have that baby you can resume the walks and then have a new person to walk.

I would just try to continue doing what you are doing. Playing with her and stimulating her the best you can.

When every you feel most comfortable make an effort for a quick walk which will help also when your closer to the due date get that baby moving and help bring on labour.

Just remember its almost over and although you can't tell her that once you get the walking going again she would't even remember ever not being walked!

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Awww, don't feel bad! Actually with this summer's soaring temps and high humidity, most dogs aren't getting the walks they're used to.

I know Chloe isn't.:(

Look at this way: Both Chloe and Briggs could be sitting in some pound waiting to die like sooooo many other pit bulls, or being fought, bred or abused in a hundred other ways. Instead, they are in wonderful homes, being loved, fed and cared for.

Missing a few walks isn't so bad after all!!:)

Copper'sMom
August 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Dogs can look sooooo sad can't they! They are manipulators!!!
Too bad Briggs wasn't trained to do weight pulling!! She could take you out for a wagon ride so you wouldn't have to walk and she'd still get her walk in!! LOL :crazy:

Is it possible to get a temporary dog walker until the baby is born and you are back on your feet?
Also, with all this hot, hot weather we are having, it's probably best YOU and Brigg's aren't out walking to much.

As lovemypit said, she'll never remember not being walked once you are back in the swing of things!

sammiec
August 9th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks guys!! You've made me feel a bit better.

And LR, you're completely right!! She's MUCH better off here then in the shelter, even if she's not getting walked regularly right now!! Thanks!

I guess I am over emotional right now too. I just hate seeing her sitting there just waiting.. then comes and puts her head on my leg.. and then goes back to the window! She's such a suck, and I'm a complete push over! :o
After writing the post we went out in the back where it's fairly shaded and I threw the ball for a while for her. She seems a little more content right now. And she's probably loving the fact that she won!! LOL! Little bugger.

Schwinn
August 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Daisy pulls the suck thing with me, too. She can hear a shoe-lace tie from 1000 paces. She comes running up to me, sits and stares at me right in the face. Cheryl laughs, because she hears me leave, then 2 minutes later hears me come back in and grab Daisy. Now she's worried what will happen when both Daisy and Gracie have me wrapped around their finger! Last night, Daisy barked for no reason and woke up Gracie. When I walked in the room and gave Daisy heck, all of a sudden she started walking on three legs and holding her leg up that she had surgery on 6 weeks ago. Maybe that's the real reason you can't trust pits, they manipulate you! :D

What Cheryl did with Daisy was took her outside and blew soap bubbles for her. She loved it! And, it didn't really involve physical exertion on Cheryl's part. By the time they came back in, Daisy was huffing and puffing, sounding like a steam train (or Daisy Train, as I call her). Daisy used to look down when she hadn't gone for a walk for a while, and when Cheryl started doing the bubbles, she was back to her butt-wagging self!

sammiec
August 9th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Hmmm.. bubbles are a good idea... maybe I'll try that!! Thanks Scwhinn!! :D

Luba
August 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Sam she knows you love her :D

she may be a little sensitive for other reasons, she could be sensing a change in your body chemistry and hormones :D

pags
August 9th, 2005, 04:34 PM
OH sammie can I relate!! Just last night I was weeping all over my husband about being a bad dog mommy because I haven't been out playing with Judge like I feel I should. And he has been super pathetic for the last couple of days in particular. I'm constantly finding him at the back door and I DO let him out for a few minutes at a time... At first he romps but then he's looking back over his shoulder like "Aren't you coming, Mom?"

Sigh. Everybody here is SO sweet.. and so right. Everything will be back to normal when the baby comes, sammie. I think we're both letting our emotions get the best of us... I've been going through huge mood swings and feeling like I'm not doing enough for anybody or with anybody... The house isn't clean enough... I'm not spending enough time with the kids... I think my husband is tired of finding me sitting on the couch... And now Judge! It's GOTTA be hormones. LOL

Daizy
August 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Also, consider at least you are at home with her right now, instead of out of the house working all day. I'm sure your pooch appreciates having you there even if you can't get out right now ... and it is rather hot too anyway.

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2005, 05:29 PM
What Cheryl did with Daisy was took her outside and blew soap bubbles for her

OH, I think Petsmart has bacon flavoured bubbles!! You can try those. :D

Pit bulls are drama queens who are expert at making us feel sorry for them.

Here's Chloe in her "Aren't I pitiful"? pose.:p

melanie
August 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM
OMG chloe, that truly is pitiful, arent dogs jsut a bit pathetic sometimes, i can tell you i am constantly being emotionally blackmailed by charlie and am subject to endless manipulation.....

and briggs needs to learn to be a bit flexible, just like all dogs who always want their way :eek: when the bub comes walks will be determined by bubs routine more than briggs, and hswe has tl learn to adjsut to her new friends ways, so it may help her to be a bit more flexible not getting her way...

could you put her bed in your office while you work, woudl she do that??? and lots of hugs should get her through...

but also remember yo udont smell right anymore, so that could be a factor too, jsut extra cuddles and attention andi think she will come through fine....

i just cant get over that pic of chloe, what a manipulator, lol :D

Schwinn
August 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
The only problem we found with the bacon bubbles is they didn't seem to hold thier shape very well, but then we only tried them once. We actually discovered this when Cheryl was playing with the nephew and nieces bubbles (no, they weren't there...don't ask). Oh, and as a side-effect? It is hilarious! Good times for both of you! Especially if there is a light breeze!

gdamadg
August 9th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Sprint tries to look extremely pathetic when I leave for work. As soon as I have my uniform on and grab my keys, he sits looking away from me. And if I come up to him to give him a hug and ask him for a kiss, he just moves his head away from me. He is the King of pouting. ;) haha

But when I get home he forgets all of it and goes BERZERK. Grabs his pink squeaky ball and runs around wiggling his butt, waiting for me to take him out and play "throw the ball so I can fetch it and tease you with it"

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Sprint is adorable!!! Looks like he's pretty good at laying a guilt trip on you.:p

gdamadg
August 10th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Oh yes he is good at guilt tripping me. I am able to take him for a walk in the morning before work. Come home at lunch to put him out and play with him. And I am home by 4pm at the latest. But every time I head out the door, he puts on his pouty face and I feel bad. But then I come home to his wiggly butt and it makes me feel all better.

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM
awww Sammie!! Your doggie might be a little sad, but probably just because he senses that something is "up" with you and that you are not yourself. Dogs really sense things like that. Looking out the window could be his way of making sure that you are protected.

I'd just give him a few extra ear rubs just to let him know that "mommie" is o.k. :)

Hope are resting in this heat!!! :grouphug:

babyrocky1
August 10th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I really think your worried for nothing, its soo hot that Rocky refuses to go out most of the time....Briggs is certainly just happy that your home..but I do like the bubbles idea and will use it for Rocky! One other suggestion, my vet suggested this when Roocky wasnt supposed to go outside much. He said to hide objects for the dog to find, its not too much exercise but it gives them something to do which tires them out. I try and get Rocky to "find my keys" And by the way You must be some be some kind of saint beig worried about the dog, when you are pregnant in this heat,,, I only had to last til the end of May and thought I would melt! Good Luck with EVERYTHING! Youll all be just fine :)

wAggie
August 10th, 2005, 07:22 PM
sammiec, I didn't read the replies but here's my suggestion.

get a lazer light/pen from the local pet store, got yourself + dog into the yard and start shooting that beam 'round the yard on the ground!

my Honey goes MAD for it :)

sammiec
August 10th, 2005, 10:07 PM
And by the way You must be some be some kind of saint beig worried about the dog, when you are pregnant in this heat,,, :)

Don't blow my cover, I'm really a wolf in sheep's clothing! ;)