Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

answer these questions please!!!

rettalor
August 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
We got this dog from pound and she was thin looking then so we thought she only need to be fed good we have given her every kind of dog food we can
can dry iams people food chicken and rice hanburger and rice
she will eat for a few days then stop she wiil then vomit and not eat for a day or two
took to vet vet said she was spoiled just feed her one kind of food and she would not starve we did this and now all ribs show she looks like a starved dog and now she vomits and not eats just like before. this dog is so strange I do not know what else to do she looks really bad now

Beaglemom
August 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I think we may need a bit more information. What kind of dog is she and how old is she? Did the vet run any tests first or just tell you that it was because she was spoiled? How long have you had her for? Does she vomit right after eating or a few hours later? Is the content of her vomit undigested food or something else? I know that may be a disgusting question, but the way the vomit looks and the timing is very important in diagnosing the problem.

There could be many things that are causing her to vomit. It could be allergy related or it could be more serious. Some dogs do have sensitive stomachs and can't just eat anything.

If she is refusing to eat her food, then she might not like it or is waiting for something else that you may give her. This would mean that she is spoiled. Some dogs learn very quickly that if they don't eat their food, then something better will come along and they will hold out for it. They are training the owners.

I found this website that lists many possible causes of vomiting in dogs:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00421.htm

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Iams is not a great food. I would pick one of the higher end foods and stick with it. No table scraps. Dogs are not like humans. They can't digest variety. Here is a list of the better dog food brands:
Wellness
Innove
Chicken soup for the pet lovers Soul
Canidae
Solid Gold
Nutro
Eagle Pack Holistic

If you switch dog foods, you have to do it really gradually, like with a little of the new, lots of the old, then a little more of the new, and a little less of the old, over the course of about 10 days (because your dog is so sensitive). It may take a while for her to get used to the new food, so the stool might be soft for a while. That's ok, as long as it's not flat out diarrhea. Also when switching foods, if the stool is soft for a while, keep an eye out for scooting (a** dragging) because that means the anal glands are full and she needs a vet or groomer to express them.

Sorry for the length, but seems like I can't say one part without the other part... ;)

*List courtesy of Mona (I just copied and pasted from the other thread :) (and corrected the canidae... :o )

justncase
August 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Unexplained vomiting can come from hyperthyroidism, heartworms, an obstruction in the intestine, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, round worms, or a swallowed object. Has your vet checked for these? If he hasn't then find one who can ."Spoiled" would be the least term I would call a dog who regularly vomited.

rettalor
August 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
They said that she is a terrior mix at the pound. she is around a year old or a little more...she looks like a dingo...her vomit is undigested...and it is a few hours after she eats...the vet only did a test for worms.no blood work or any other testing.we have not been feeding her table scraps...trying to keep it steady...she will only eat when my grandaughter is home..otherwhise she just lays around...so it isnt that she is active and burning it up...we have made an appointment with the vet tomorrow...thank you for all your help and hope to hear more..

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought when you said chicken and rice and hamburger and rice that you meant you fed her people food. Sorry. :)

Beaglemom
August 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I definitely think that some more tests should be done, at least some bloodwork. If your regular vet doesn't seem too enthusiastic to get to the bottom of this, find another vet who you are comfortable with and who will help you out. It seems strange to me that such a young dog is lethargic and vomiting. It could be something as simple as a food allergy or something much more serious.

Trinitie
August 10th, 2005, 10:41 AM
In some instances, vomitting undigested food can mean that there's a blockage. Has the dog had an x-ray to rule out internal problems? If not, then do so immediately. If your current vet says that an x-ray isn't necessary, then ask another vet.

Either way, repeated vomitting can lead to ulcers of the throat lining. The acid is definately not good for the throat.

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I agree this could be a blockage situation.Could be very serious.
Vet!

Beaglemom
August 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM
The OP has stated that she has an appointment with the vet for today. I really do hope that the vet does some more tests and gets to the bottom of this. The undigested food hours later concerns me as well. This isn't something normal nor indicative of a spoiled dog. Spoiled dogs turn their noses up at food, not vomit. Vomiting for days or continuously is serious.

Rettalor, any news yet?