Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thin Hair Spots on Messina

pitbulliest
August 8th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Hey guys..I just have a question...Messina seems to have a few little thin hair patches on her back ....there's about three of them...they're not even bald spots..just that the hair is a little thinner...its noticeable only when you really look for it...and the skin there is a little drier and a shade darker than the rest of her skin in that area...no redness or anything..

So I was wondering..how often do dogs usually shed seasonally? Maybe this is in preparation for the winter? Even though its hot as heck and its August?

Is there anything more serious than I need to worry about? For ex, what are the symptoms of demodex mange and could this possibly be an early warning sign? I heard demodex mange has RED BALD SPOTS...none of which are present on my dog at the moment..

Something to worry about? Feedback please and thank you

coppperbelle
August 9th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I assume by the picture that Messica is a pit bul. I am not that familiar with the breed. I have goldens and when they shed they do not get bald spots. I think it would be a good idea to check it out with your vet.

BMDLuver
August 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM
For peace of mind, I would take her to the vet's office. She may just have dry skin in certain spots much like many humans get. It never hurts to supplement with Omega 3 as well. Just in case though, I always err on the side of caution as I have a phobia of mange and ringworm.

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM
My pit bull gets seasonal alopecia, but in the middle of winter when the days have gotten progressively shorter, since I believe it's caused by the length of daylight and not temperature.

Pit bulls do seem to have their share of skin problems. Agree with BMDluver and would take her for a check at the vet. That's what I did and it sure set my mind at ease!:)

pitbulliest
August 9th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Thanx guys..I called my vet today and spoke with the tech..it kinda ticks me off that I have to have a consultation FIRST before I get a skin scrapping..."in case its something else"...ugh..an additional 35 bux when all I'd have to pay is 25... my vet is pretty good but this kinda stuff ticks me off..I know what I want to do, but there's always "something else"...

well anywho, she told me to wait one more week in case it just goes away, in which case it might be an allergy... (Messina has had allergy issues before where she would get bumps, but no thin hair spots)...anywho, I guess I"ll do just that and wait it out..if not I'll have to go next monday or tuesday for the consultation.

goldenblaze
August 10th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Demodex mange starts on the face and ears, often dry patchy flake skin on tips of ears and the dog will be real itchy. Bold spots with darker skin, it's called "Red Mange" yes but the skin will look some what brown until it gets worse and is spreading, then the skin can and will become more red.

Blaze fought demodex for many months, it was not a great time, but he won. Around 10 months old he ok, no more mites and the disease did not spread further.