Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No Television...by choice??

Jazz&Cricket
August 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

Last year we moved into rural Canada...a great place to be :) Since there is no cable available, and local channels are almost non-existent, AND we were busy renovating....we did without television. After awhile, we got to enjoy the no TV situation. However, my DH's parents thought we were 'deprived' and had a satellite dish ordered for us for Christmas. We both had mixed feelings. So, we had the dish until May 1st....and had it 'put on vacation' until October. We're busy, (no kids BTW) and we really don't miss it.
Has anyone else gone without TV? What are your thoughts?
As you can see, we do like technology...even though our internet is ABYSMALLY slow (like 24K :( ... but at least we have that!)

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I used to work for Star Choice and you're really not alone. Sooo many people disconnect for the summer. (Not me!! My man travels a bit in the summer, so when I'm alone with nothing to do, I exercise, uh, no, wait... I watch tv. :D )

When we first moved in together, we didn't have a tv. We decided to get one used 6 months later, and it blew up (less than 2 weeks later). So we gave up. And then we got Boo. :D Then I won one at work, so we couldn't let a good tv and an employee discount go to waste!

But honestly, I grew up with 2 channels, so I'm a little tv deprived. :) Making up for lost time. :D

melanie
August 9th, 2005, 12:28 AM
from the ages of 16yo to 23 yo i did not watch tv once, i was wayyyyy to busy partying hard and killing my brain cells, i could not waste any on tv, they all went to beer :p

but now in the ripe old age of 29yo, im a boring old ding bat and looovvveee my shows, and i watch the stuff your grandma would, like the 'bill' and such.....

but i looovvvveeee my tv now, i could never be without it for too long i would miss to many of my favourite soaps.... :D

Rick C
August 9th, 2005, 07:35 AM
We live in the country as well and have very, very slow internet . . . . . but we've had satellite from day one and pay for pretty much the full meal deal.

My wife watches hockey only . . . . and virtually nothing else. But she'll watch a couple of games a night for night after night . . . .

I grew up with one channel - CBC Red Deer - so I know the opposite side.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

BMDLuver
August 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM
I don't seem to watch all that much tv and my husband doesn't care for the tv, so we have cable for the kids but no frills. I must say children's programming is the pits on regular cable. We rely more on videos and dvd's for the girls.

pags
August 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I despise television. My senior year of high school we had to answer the question "Where do you see yourself in 20 years?" for our year book. My answer was "Pitching TVs off a cliff somewhere in South/Central America" (I was Peace Corps bound back then, by the way).

We have a television and we have a satellite dish. The television is here because the entertainment center looks ugly with the big empty place in the middle. (Okay not true... it's here for movies and video games) The dish is here honestly so we aren't totally isolated and we watch the occasional news broadcast or special. OH and we do let the kids watch every now and then but we limit it severely and try to get them out doing 'real' stuff.

My kids get hyper when they watch TV. The last thing we need around here is more hyperness. But you know something.. I noticed a long time ago -- I get hyper when I watch TV too. It's really bad for the nerves. I had a teacher back in high school who always referred to it as the 'idiot box' -- I guess I've gotten old enough to agree with him. :D

Puppyluv
August 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM
I didn't watch ANY tv from age 16-18 at home, even though my brother worked for Shaw at the time, and we got fee digital cable. Then I moved away to school, and didn't have a tv, so it was another year of no tv. I didn't miss it at all for those four years, I was too busy. But then this year I moved and got a tv and sattelite.. and it's HORRIBLE!!!! It's one of the easiest ways to procrastinate. Like "hmmm I could be productive, or watch that random show on channel 672, that no one else has ever heard of...." ~turn on tv~

Schwinn
August 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM
There's a part of me that would love to cancle the cable. I think I'm addicted. I'll easily flop my butt down on the couch and then wonder why it's so hard to see in the living room...oh, because the day is over, it's night!

doggy lover
August 9th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I'm not a tv person I have maybe one or two shows I watch and not faithfully, most of the time my hubby or the kids have the tv. I like to read, novels and books on dogs or gardening. At our cottage we only have hydro at night when the generator is on, so that is the only time we watch tv and with 4 channels there's not much to watch, normally we take a dvd. I like to watch movies in the winter, I have about 5 new ones I haven't watched yet. Now if you took my internet away that would be a different story.

Dogastrophe
August 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I love TV too much to give it up. Only change I would want would be to only pay for the 5 or 6 channels that I actually watch consistently: Discovery, Life, HGTV, A&E, PBS and Fox (for Simpsons only).

kandy
August 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'd probably go homicidal without my TV! During the winter, we watch lots more than during the summer. We have a TV in the bedroom and if I'm sick there is nothing better than laying in bed watching movies all day. You have to have either cable or dish to get channels here and the cable prices just keep going up and up. We can't have a dish where we live because we don't have a clear view of the southern sky (or whatever direction it is supposed to be).

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Pags- your story reminded me of my dad- he would never let us watch cartoons on the weekend because they made us crabby. Whenever we were done the cartoons, we had to do chores for the rest of the day. So you bet we were crabby the minute that tv went off! :D

And Schwinn, the cable/sat companies know everybody is addicted. That's why they can be so rude on the phone.
"I'm gonna disconnect this satellite crap and throw it all in the garbage... No.... No, I don't mean that. You didn't disconnect it right? It's... its still on?" ;)

Freyja
August 9th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I hate TV!!! Too many ads, too many inane shows that insult the intelligence. I watched a TONNE of TV as a kid, I loved Starsky and Hutch, MASH, Threes Company, Baretta, all those old shows. However, I had no TV from the time I moved out of home at 19 and just never bothered to get one, until I got married at 28, I just started not to miss it and kept busy doing other things. My husband watched TV, but 6 years ago we moved into a new house, never got cable and for some reason were not even able to pick up "peasant vision". We have been without TV eversince :thumbs up
I have a television, and the kids watch videos and DVDs, but no TV!!

yviej
August 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Oh yeah .. when I've been watching lots of TV until I was in college. That's when I realized I've gotten really lazy so, decided to remove the TV from my room. I'm surprised at how much I don't really miss it being really busy with work. I noticed that I'm usually just go to school, work and home to sleep. I've even started doing my homework quite regularly.

But when I graduated, my boyfriend out me a TV for my birthday. Been to glued to it ever since. OOPS! :D

pags
August 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Pags- your story reminded me of my dad- he would never let us watch cartoons on the weekend because they made us crabby. Whenever we were done the cartoons, we had to do chores for the rest of the day. So you bet we were crabby the minute that tv went off! :D

LOL Prin!!! That makes a LOT of sense!!

And you know I have to mention this too since I'm bashing television again... When I had my first two kids I did not allow them to watch TV at all. I had read so much about how awful it was to let the television 'babysit' your children.. So I eliminated it entirely. No cable shows. No videos. None of it!! I was so proud!

So when both of my boys turned 4 without uttering a single word.... I was totally baffled. They came to work with me every day and had countless people reading to them and singing to them and talking with them... But they simply didn't talk. After tons of evaluations and tests and finding out that absolutely everything else was normal except expressive speech... we began speech therapy... and one of the counselors in the program asked me what their favorite TV program was so she could reference it in her sessions. I told her they didn't watch TV and OH BOY how it all hit me then. She looked at me funny and explained that kids pick up massive amounts of language skills from TV. Oops. They were both chatterboxes within a month of that day.

Ahem. So there. I have shared my big parenting blooper with you guys. :p And learned the hard way that bombarding kids with all that flash and info is the only way to keep them on the same schedule with all the other kids being bombarded with all that flash and info. :p Just uh.. pick and choose wisely.

Sunkist/Winnie
August 10th, 2005, 11:11 AM
We haven't had cable since we moved into our new house in May. I'm not a big TV watcher anyways, but my husband was and he was very hesitant at first to do without it, but was willing to try to see what a difference it made in daily lives. Plus with all the renovations we have to do who has time to watch TV anyway!

We get so much more done now, no coming home sitting in front of the TV and all of a sudden the evening is over and nothing was done, or we didn't have any time to chat.

We do have the channels you get if you just plug in the TV - Global, CBC and ATV I think it is. That seems to be enough to fill those times when you don't want to do anything but be a vegetable. I am wondering how we'll do as winter approaches and there isn't that much to do outside.

What does everyone else do during the winter months to fill the time you would have spent outside in the warmer days?

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I came into the "no cable" world--kicking and screaming!! LOL

Actually, I moved during christmas time one year (don't ever do that!!) and my business also peaks then, so I guess it was the third week in Jan, when I finally flopped down, grabbed the remote-popcorn in hand--and realized--"Holy crap, I didn't call cable!!"

So I figured I'd just see how long I could last/ or if I even missed it.

It's been 4 years.

I'm too busy for it--and just need a t.v. for kids dvds, rental movies, etc.

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM
What does everyone else do during the winter months to fill the time you would have spent outside in the warmer days?

how do you think the twins came along?? :evil: :D

Sunkist/Winnie
August 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM
YIKES...better make sure to be very diligent taking my Pill all winter then!

I know I can find things to do for the most part, be it physical or craft-wise ;). I was more curious about ideas for my husband, he's isn't really into reading, which I can spend hours doing.

I find we rent more movies now, weheras before we'd be flicking channles for three hours complaining that nothing way on. Now he checks the three channels, says nothing is on and then goes outside and fiddles with the lawn mower.

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM
LOL there was actually a small baby boom as a result of the ice storm in '98 here in Qc... :D

wAggie
August 10th, 2005, 06:07 PM
J&C, when you type "no tv," I understand that as "NO TV" and not "HAVE TV BUT NO TV CABLE."

lol

always, I have "have tv but not tv cable" and life is BETTER that way. We borrow movies instead, that's about as fun as a tv can get without it helping me waste my life away.

we got internet, and 2 (dog) kids, no human kids. I am working 1 ft and 1 pt job, and taking 1 univ course. I try to keep in touch w family and friends. what more could I want/need?

(oh, I randomly watch Days [one show I vow to keep current in my life] during my lunch at work)

the news is on paper :p and my reality is better than watching strangers on tv "act" it out. If I wanna watch something funny/scary/etc, I borrow some movie and make the effort to put some time aside to sit and watch it w the hubby.

besides that, meh.

Hi all,

Last year we moved into rural Canada...a great place to be :) Since there is no cable available, and local channels are almost non-existent, AND we were busy renovating....we did without television. After awhile, we got to enjoy the no TV situation. However, my DH's parents thought we were 'deprived' and had a satellite dish ordered for us for Christmas. We both had mixed feelings. So, we had the dish until May 1st....and had it 'put on vacation' until October. We're busy, (no kids BTW) and we really don't miss it.
Has anyone else gone without TV? What are your thoughts?
As you can see, we do like technology...even though our internet is ABYSMALLY slow (like 24K :( ... but at least we have that!)