Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's your midnight snack?

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM
If you are awake, it's late and you're hungry, what do you eat?

(my preference is a bowl of steamed baby spinach with parmasan and a bit of garlic.. :) )

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 10:12 PM
corn flakes with honey and milk. (everythings organic of course)
Throw on some almonds or pecans and sometimes no cereal just yogurt.

Jackie467
August 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I'm a bad girl, I eat oreos or chocoletchip cookies at night. I know it's a bad habit especially before bed, but I just can't help myself. But really that is my only junk food during the day and I don't eat a lot of them so it's not too bad.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 10:46 PM
You don't have to justify to me, Jackie. You should see how much chocolate I used to eat!! :eek: :eek:

Karin
August 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM
A stiff Margarita with extra salt & tequilia.

...squeeze me, did you say eat?

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 10:55 PM
LOL Karin. What'll you have with your drink? ;)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 8th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I would actually love some chips about now. My favorite anytime snack is picked aspaaragus wrapped in fat free ham.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Raw asparagus?

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Ok I cave and sometimes it's cheetos or twix bars

shush u didn't hear that! :angel:

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Few! I was starting to think you were as extreme as my bro- he's an absolute vegan. You're more normal to me now. ;)

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Oh pls dont' call me normal, thats an insult :p

I'm not vegan I eat meat just organic meat and not really into red meat
chicken, turkey, fish :D

melanie
August 9th, 2005, 12:22 AM
oh you ppl are shocking :eek: you will all get really bad night terrors or nightmares if you eat late, tut tut tut now no snacks and off to bed with the lot of yas, and if you must snack try a filling glass of milk...

and prin spinach at midnight :eek: , your a freak girl friend :D thats jsut down right wrong, if you gunna be up at that hour you may as well give yourself some nightmares properly with a good bit of junk :D hey you only live once...

the only time i ever eat at midnight is if im drinkin beers and if its midnight and im still awake ive drunk alot of beers, and then its vegemite toast all the way, its the best hangover cure and tastes bloody good to boot :p :highfive: (and you can share with a dog too they looovvvee vegemite) :angel:

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 12:22 AM
LOL Melanie- you forget that I stay up till 4 or 5! No nightmares here.. I'm hungry.

melanie
August 9th, 2005, 12:31 AM
oh prin that sucks so much, its ok though, you jsut watch tv and eat and one day it may be over, you never know......perhaps it was the spinich that got you through chem you old poppey you :D

but im a good girl, and jsut like my hero oprah, i never really eat after 7:30 pm, oprah swears by it and if she does then i do, seriously since she said it about 4yrs ago i have never eaten after that hour since unless im drinkin... i love oprah and her great advice....

oh dear, i hope you dont have terrors tonight you lot :o

Jackie467
August 9th, 2005, 12:35 AM
actully I normally eat every night around 1am when my man gets home from work. then we go to bed about 2am and I'v only had a few nightmares, and I think those are just the nightmares you get every once in a while. I mean I do it ever night and I'v only ever had a few, and really they weren't that bad. But then again everyone dreams everynight, just you usually don't remember most of the dreams. I very rarely remember my dreams. The reason most people remember their nightmares is because the fear makes their body over stimulated and they wake up. And normally you'll remember a dream (or nightmare) if you wake up while having it.

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 12:39 AM
And normally you'll remember a dream (or nightmare) if you wake up while having it.
That rule applies to sex too.. :D

Mel- I followed Oprah's rule long before it was Oprah's rule and it lead to me being anorexic. Apparently if your blood sugar dips too low before you go to bed it can provoke anxiety attacks. So I'd get anxiety attacks which would cause nausea, so I'd say, "Better not eat a bit earlier, so I don't get nauseous." So it went from 8:30 to 6:30, to 4:30, to 2:30 and by then if I ate breakfast, it was a good eating day. ;) So now, I eat whenever my body asks me to feed it.

melanie
August 9th, 2005, 12:48 AM
ah you see i have a metabolism like oprah, i have the metabolism of a dead horse, and thats no joke... i come from a very heavy (fat) family, i weigh 55kg now but at the age of 16yo i weighed 102kg, big time difference (and that started my eating disorders)... so i eat to my metabolism, which is not much and low carb, i must also excersise for at least 1hr a day to keep it up.thank god for dogs eh...my sister is currently 98kg, and thats pretty normal in my family, i am now teased about my size for sure...

when i was 50kg i had to work out at least 2hrs a day to maintain it, my body was jsut not meant to be that thin....

but i find if i dont eat at night, and i only eat my three meals with small snacks i can be pretty much even without yoyoing...or i will onyl eat when hungry, food is just fuel to me, i dont really like it much so i often treat it as strictly fuel and fill up with lots fo healthy stuff instead, but only if my body says hungry....

its all hard, but if i eat sugar late at night i always get nightmares, i have alot anyway but worse with sugar... i actualyl am a very vivid dreamer anyhow, i remember msot dreams, and normally so vivid i often confuse real and dream, bad habbit....

but sugar gives me the night terrors, same with my nephew.......

jackie maybe your body is adapted to is stuff, or your jsut lucky i suppose, ya lucky ducky :D

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 12:55 AM
What stupid girls we are to not like ourselves enough to treat our bodies right!! At least we're better now. :grouphug:

BMDLuver
August 9th, 2005, 06:22 AM
ummm Prin, you know how you sometimes have insomnia? Garlic in some people keeps them awake at night! :eek:

If I'm hungry late at night I eat a bowl of cereal.

SnowDancer
August 9th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I don't eat at midnight simply because I have insomnia and at my age their are too many things that will make it worse. Even carbohydrates in cereal with milk. Fruit or juice is bad as well.

chico2
August 9th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I have a supply of choclate bars in my bed-side table,a good book and a choclate bar in bed,is doing all the wrong stuff,but it works for me :D and no,I am not 300lb's :D

Puppyluv
August 9th, 2005, 09:14 AM
If it's cold outside, I'm a vanilla steamed milk girl. If it's hot out, I'm a berry berry extrordinary smoothie girl (Wait I think that name is owned by Ben and Jerry's.. ooooooh I should become a Ben and Jerry's girl... mmmmmmm) :D
Or if I'm actually hungry, then it's granola and plain yogurt (both organic and from the healthfood store.. yogurt from glass jars just tastes better)

kandy
August 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
If I'm awake at midnight :eek: and hungry - I'd probably go for a lime popsicle or peanut butter cookies. Maybe caramel and praline ice cream if I have it. I don't keep much junk food in the house because I will eat it if it's there - so based on what I do keep on hand it would have to be the popsicle.

Since I got promoted and my stress level dropped dramatically, I've gained about 10 lbs and then added another 5 or so when I quit smoking. My butt is gonna look like two pigs fightin under a blanket if I keep gaining! :eek:

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
ummm Prin, you know how you sometimes have insomnia? Garlic in some people keeps them awake at night! :eek:

If I'm hungry late at night I eat a bowl of cereal.
No no, it's the other way around. I eat because I'm awake. ;) And it's very little garlic- not enough to have an after taste.
My butt is gonna look like two pigs fightin under a blanket if I keep gaining! LOL LOL That was so funny!! I've never heard that before. :)

Luvmypit
August 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I am lucky I have a fast metabolism. I tried my whole life trying to gain weight. In Grade nine I would wear 4 pairs of boxer shorts under my school uniform pants. I was a tom boy so i wore somewhat loose pants.

I eat horribly though and am suprised I am not 500 lbs. I hardley ever eat vegatables and most things I won't eat because there is veggies in it.

At night though as a night time snack I will open my step daughters halloween candy (yes from last year) and snack on some fuzzy peaches or something like that.

I can eat a whole medium pizza to myself and often eat up to 4 - 5 hotdogs in one sitting. And I am 5"7 120 lbs. I won't gain an inch. Its sucks because people will not often tell you you are fat but being skinny is open season. Oh your so skinny, oh my god your wasting away. I just add a "really cause I feel great." But it gets old after awhile.

I may be skinny but I am just asking for a heart attack.

Prin
August 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I know Luvmypit. I'm on the other side. Chubby but healthy as a horse (aside from my thyroid). My brother is a vegan and he's so skinny and gets comments ALL the time. At first it wasn't so bad, but it's been at least 4 years now, and I feel so bad for him. He won't say anything and pretends it rolls off his back, but it doesn't. :(

Here's a simple rule that I wish people would follow:
No comments on weight, no comments on what people are eating, or how much people are eating.

End of rant. :)

heidiho
August 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
The green chocolate chip ice cream with hersheys syrup...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mona_b
August 10th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Mine is either a cheez whiz sandwich or a toasted tomato and mayo... :D

pags
August 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Mmmm.. Late night chocolate milk for me.

Oooh how I miss my late night chocolate milk. :sad: But with all this reflux going on it's just not going to happen for a while. Plenty of chances for it during the upcoming late night feedings though!

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
(my preference is a bowl of steamed baby spinach with parmasan and a bit of garlic..

I LOOOOVE This!!!

High in Vitamin C for that hour tho, no? That'd keep you awake... :)

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
LOL Everything keeps me awake. Last night I didn't eat after 6 because I had to sleep because I had to get my dad at 7:30AM. I think the lower blood sugar is bad for my thyroid or something because I was up forever with palpitations and tremors. I can't win. I guess while I'm not in school, keeping my blood suger normal will take precidence over going to sleep early... When school comes,who knows?! Stupid Qc health care system. Mumble grumble.

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 12:34 PM
ooo yeah!! Your endocrinologist should have both of those in check, b/c between those two you could feel quite awful!! :yuck: Poor you!!

Do you know how to make the glycemic index work for you?(I know you're pretty in the know about nutrition.)

ooooh! Don't get me started on healthcare--I'd rather go to the vet!!

seriously!!I wish we could!!

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Maybe I know some, but I don't know the glycemic index... :confused:

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 12:55 PM
It's a classification of foods, different from what we are used to--ie fat grams, calories, as a form of counting.

It deals with how your body breaks down foods into simple sugars.

I'll google it for you for a better explanation, but basically their are certain foods that we don't even realize contain alot of sugar, or more importantly how your body interprets this sugar and uses it for energy.

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Like chocolate? That has no sugar or fat at all right? :evil:

twinmommy
August 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM
here, I didn't even know that it ws similar to the South Beach Diet....I've been using this for longer than that diet exists!! lol. http://www.southbeachdietguide.com/gi-explained.html

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I barely eat any of the ones below 55- except milk. I have an intolerance to oats and a flour additive so it's hard for me to eat grainy breads etc.

Puppyluv
August 10th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Wait so lower numbers are better? So according to this.... I can eat shortbread and pound cake.. but not puffed rice cereal... Hell where do I sign up?? :p

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
LOL What are you doing here? Go study!!! Just kidding. I'd never make anybody ever study. :D

Puppyluv
August 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM
It's just a short break.. I swear.... The TV isn't even on, and I've hidden Harry, so this is my last vice.
Sigh.... back to magnetism I go....

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 01:15 PM
LOL NOOOoooooooo!! Not magnetism!! Stay here! Procrastinate forever!!

Writing4Fun
August 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Prin, you bad influence! :evil:

Don't listen to her, Puppyluv! Go back to work like a good little scholar. :angel: Ignore Harry and everything furry that represents the evils of failure and duty-shirking. :p

Prin
August 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM
LOL Funny thing is, I don't think I've ever seen Puppyluv here so much..