- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Slipped through the cracks

August 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Well it's official: as far as the health care systems in this country are concerned, I don't exist. I have fallen through the cracks of the provinces :(
I got my letter saying that I am no longer considered an Albertan :sad: and thus, am no longer covered by Alberta Healthcare. But that's ok, right? If I'm not an Albertan anymore, I must now be a Quebecer. So i spent my afternoon talking to various RAMQ people, to find out that I am not considered a 'Becer until three months after Alberta disowns me. Which means, no Quebec healthcare for three months. Which means no healthcare at all for three months!! ARRGHHH!!! You know, I'll go and get some horrible communicable disease next week or something.... just to make this situation worse!!!

Ok sorry.... just had to announce my falling through the cracks to someone

August 8th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Can you get private insurance? Like Blue Cross?

August 8th, 2005, 09:37 PM
thats tomorrow's mission :yuck:

August 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Yey! Distractions from the MCATs!! ;)

August 8th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I reaize this may be late advice but I did not know you were in this situation. Before you move in Canada (or even go out of the country for out of 6 mos - or whatever policy your prov govt has), you have to notify Medicare - or the Alberta equivilent and let them know you will be away forhowever long (say 3 months) so that your coverage will be continued. In the interim, you apply to the new prov because it almost always takes 3 mios regardless of the province. Omce notified of your new coverage, you contact the former province and tell them you no longer are a Alta resident. There are exceptions of course - students whose provinces have neogiated agreemensts under the Fiscal Arrangements Act and so forth. I know this because I travel too much.

If I were you, I would contact my former MLA or anyone who knows your Minsiter of Health in Alta and get reinstated until you qualify for Quebec coverage. Or have someone there do it for you. I suspect at this juncture politicsis your only solution - or private insuramce but really, ppl move all the time without the probs you are facing.

Good luck!

August 8th, 2005, 09:54 PM
thanks for the advice CK. The problem arose because I was a full-time student in QC, so AB still covered me, but then became a part time student for the summer, and I just never thought about what that actually meant. So this is really my fault, but I am going back to Calgary in a week, so I'll do some MLA-calling

August 8th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Private insurance takes three months to kick in as well!

You are a student, aren't there some special circumstances. Talk to someone at your school about it, a counsellor or something may know lots more and would save you from running around trying to find everything out.

August 8th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, universities are quite well equipped to help out in a jam. I forgot about that. :)

August 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM
We moved from Ontario to Quebec and were not covered for a three month period. I was not covered for 8 months as I had to apply for a new birth certificate and by the time I got it to give medicare all the necessary paperwork, it was three months. I'm adopted so that's a big batch of red tape to prove you are who you say you are. Both girls were babies so we had $900 in bills that Ontario nor Quebec would pay. Neither would our employment coverage. Welcome to moving to Quebec. It was much simpler when we moved to Ontario. It has something to do with Quebec's system not being on the same level as the rest of the provinces.