Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Big OH OH HELP

shannon1233A
August 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM
One of my sons who lives only 5 minutes away just called me. When he got home from work today, the neighbours St. Bernard had jumped their fence and either jumped or fallen in their swimming pool. The "lid" or plastic sheet was across it, but this is a 2 year old I think, anyway ripped a hole through it and tore it apart, trying to save himself. I don't know how he did it, but he must have been in there a couple of hours. The inground pool is completely damaged, the lining etc. My son isn't worried about the pool, he's worried about the dog. He and his wife pulled him out. He was standing in the shallow end with tarp all around him and couldn't get up the ladder. When they got him out, the back door was stuck open as when they got home and heard the commotion they ran out and the kids were standing there in shock. So the dog ran into the house, and it attacked their indoor dog. (Never rains it pours). Their dog is fine, anyway they took the St Bernard home next door.

Well they freaked at the dog. Started yelling, and screaming, how destructive he is, he's eaten all the beds, bedding, tables, walls, etc. My son got angry and told them if they kept a closer eye on him he wouldn't have the opportunity to do such damage to their home, it wasn't his fault. He told them his own house insurance would probably cover the damage, he was just glad the dog didn't drown. He asked them to please keep a closer eye on him, as somehow the claw marks show he scaled the 6 foot wall. The neighbours had a table of some sort he noticed next to the fence, he asked them to move it as the dog maybe used that.

As he turned to leave, the door closed and he heard the guy yelling at the dog, then a loud yelp. Again he knocked, actually he banged on the door and asked if everything was okay. The guy said he's had it with the dog. Son told him he'd report him if he ever heard or saw him hurt the dog again, offered to keep him until the owner could advertise him and screen for a new home. Then he called me and asked what else he could do to make sure the dog would be safe. He can't take him home, he already has 2, and the St. Bernard is not dog friendly.

Sorry, so long, he's really upset and worried, so am I, anyone have any suggestions how he can make sure the dog will be safe until a new home is found, if they do so?

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 08:05 PM
OH brother. St. Bernard Rescue may be able to assist in this situation.

Glad the dog is okay (we think or hope) this could have been so much worse.

Does your son have the dog now or the owners still?

My thoughts are tell your son to keep a kissybutt face around the people if he doesn't they'll just dump the dog off somewhere and he will never know whats happened to the dog.

Poor thing.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 8th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I think your sons neighbours owe him a big thank you for saving their dog. They dont sound like very nice people. I am sure someone will be along shortly to offer assistance.

shannon1233A
August 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for answering you guys, I was getting paranoid now thinking no one would answer. Patience, I guess is not a virtue when it comes to doggys health and well being :sigh

Luba, neighbours still have him, son would have had to keep him outside because of his dogs IF they would hand him over. They didn't seem friendly at the time, but his wife is baking cookies to take over and tell them there was no damage, not to worry and try to find out if they got him from a breeder. He'll contact the breeder if they don't, if there's one involved.

Joey, thank you

badger
August 8th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I would think it would be better if the people who own the dog contacted the breeder - with a view to returning him? - in case they think you brother is sneaking behind their back or badmouthing them. Why don't you give them the contact info for the rescue, should they decide to give him up?

I thought the Beethoven craze was over long ago....

shannon1233A
August 8th, 2005, 08:56 PM
badger, maybe you're right. Don't know if it's a reputable breeder or not anyway yet. His wife is going to take something over, laugh about their husbands type thing and strike up a conversation to find out, then if they decide to get rid of it, give them rescue names and numbers.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM
You guys are so great for doing something (this coming from the chicken :o ). You don't have another neighbor or friend who could take the doggy for a bit? Is there a rescue near you who may have fosterhomes without too many pets? (very unlikely, I know..)