Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much is to much for a birthday present?

Blaze01
August 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I have been unofficially dating a guy for about a month and half and his birthday is coming up on friday. He asked to make us official the other day but I told him to give it some more time so we dont just jump into something with out really knowing each other to well...
Ok so for his birthday I plan on buying him a gift that is $37. He told me he wanted a CD from me that is about $13
I know he really wants the DVD that costs $37 but really doesnt have the extra money to spend on it. Is this to much? I dont really think so considering all the meals he has paid for the movies we have seen.
I really like this guy alot just would love yalls input.
Thanks!

Roxy's_MA
August 8th, 2005, 12:12 PM
If you feel comfortable buying the gift I think it is acceptable. $37 isn't bad, it is not like your spending a couple hundred bucks on the guy.

When I was dating my boyfriend for only a month her bought me a $500 jacket. I was NOT comfortable accepting the gift. I would be comfortable accepting a DVD after that long.

jjgeonerd
August 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
That wouldn't freak me out if a girl whom I was dating for about a month got me a $37 gift for my birthday. Sounds reasonable to me.

Writing4Fun
August 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Sounds a helluva lot more reasonable than the leather jacket my SIL bought for her last bf of a couple of months!! :eek: No, a DVD isn't too much at all. At least you know what to buy him! After 14 years, it's still a struggle for me - I wish the Ducati dealerships and Formula 1 gift shops had gift registries! :D

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Depends on how serious you are. A month and a half can be nothing, but it can be everything, depending on the relationship. I moved in with my man 2 weeks after our first date (when you know, you know :D ). If it's serious, then $37 is alright. If it's just a long fling, then $13 is the better choice. ;)

nymph
August 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
When I read your title I thought you were going to give him a car or something.

No, $37 is quite within the acceptable 1 month and half dating price range. :D

kandy
August 8th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I would be more worried about the gift implying something than the amount of money it costs. For example, if you gave him a ring - that would definitely imply that you expect the relationship to last. I don't think a CD or a DVD would imply anything one way or another and either would be a good choice (unless of course the DVD is "How to plan your wedding in 5 easy steps"!) :D

Before my son met his current girlfriend - he would always break up with whoever he was seeing if a holiday requiring a gift was coming up. He always said that it was never on purpose but I think he's fibbing! :p

melanie
August 8th, 2005, 05:20 PM
hey it sounds like you like him alot, and he is not only a date but sounds like he is becoming a friend, and $37 is not to much to spend on a friend even if you wernt dating..

if i were you, if you can afford it that is, why not spoil him and get him the $13 cd and dvd, thats only $50 and not much... he sounds like he has been spoiling you a bit so its ok to spoil back if yo uask me.....

but if you cant afford it go the dvd, thats a nice gift and you know he wants it.... :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I dont think 37 is over board considering he sounds like a generous guy.

My friend was dating a guy once and she was considering breaking up with him. He bought her diamond earings, a karoake machine, and some larger then life stuffed animals for her kids. That was an awkard situation.