Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten Play Injury

BK03
August 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I have two kittens who constantly wrestle...i consider it play- they don't scream or hiss, but after a good jaunt one of my kittens now has an eye that is half shut. At first, I figured it was maybe he just had a little scratch near his eye, but after further investigation, I noticed his eyeball is damaged. I have a vet appointment scheduled, but am wondering what i can do to make him comfortable until then...his eating habits are still fine, and he's still playing and seems to be in good spirits...but i'm also wondering : Could this injury be permanent? What's the chance he will lose sight in this eye? :sick:

poor guy.

BMDLuver
August 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM
It's good you have a vet appointment. I can tell you by experience with the two saints I took in that it's amazing what can be done if caught early enough to repair the damage. The vet will put some drops in the injured eye and use a blue light to see the extent of the damage. The kitten may just need some cortisone ointment placed in the eye to promote healing or a round of antibiotics first. Just my experience with eye injury in animals. :)

Jackie467
August 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM
When is your vet apointment? This is something that needs to be examined by a vet now, an emergency vet if you have to. I had a cat that something happened to his eye (we arn't positive what) and he had to have his eyeball removed. He did really well with vision in only one eye. but would be a bit aggressive if you came up on his side that didn't have an eye. It was a lot of work because after he lost the eye we had to put salve in the socket and do hot compresses, ultametly he passed away from a secondary infection that we didn't catch in time and the vet couldn't help with. If we caught it earlier we could have saved him, but unfortunetly cats mask pain really well.

Please get him to the vet now, his life may depend on it.

BK03
August 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
His appointment is today at 4:30pm. i worry a bit because the injury happened last Thursday and the vet was closed over the weekend. Hopefully my situation is more like BMDLover's...thank you both for your responses.

Lucky Rescue
August 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Last Thursday? I hope no serious damage or infection has set in during all that time. If it's a scratch, kittens' claws are not exactly clean.

Please let us know how the kitty does!!

Freyja
August 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
How is the kitty??????

BK03
August 11th, 2005, 09:53 AM
He's actually doing MUCH better! The vet took a look at him, asessed the seriousness of the puncture in his cornea and said he thinks he'll be just fine. He gave us eyedrops to use 4 times a day and some ointment to apply once a day. Trot HATES the medicine, but once we get through that, his eye looks so much better. He still plays like a maniac and wrestles with our other kitty, Theo. :thumbs up

BMDLuver
August 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he is on the mend.