Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loose stool (eew)

Dag Sabot
August 8th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Hi guys i thought id "run" this one past you...
My adopted dog, has a loose stool problem. I Originally thought it was probably the dogfood he was getting at the shelter, or the constant running were doing may be liquifying his bowels.
I switched him over to Iams lamb and rice for large breeds quite some time ago. No dice.
I even stopped putting salmon oil in his food thinking it probably oils up the works too much. To no avail.
I am guessing hes probably allergic to somehing in his food, so I bought him a bag of ultra expensive all natural food that lasted a week still with no "solid" results.
Runny poo is not only hard to pick up but it worries me that hes not absorbing the proper nutrition from his food, as it tends to shoot right through him...He doesnt have any accidents, just when its time to poo, its mostly goo.

*incidentally, he likes to munch on grass alot (it doesnt make him puke) i think he does it for pleasure rather than an upset tummy.

-any advice?

Toonces
August 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
You should take a sample of his poop :yuck: to the vet asap, could be he has worms or any number of things

Good luck and keep us posted :D

BMDLuver
August 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM
As Toonces said, it could be worms. Giardia will have endless bouts of diarehea and is sometimes hard to determine in fecal analysis.

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Suggestion try this...
MAKE the dogs food for atleast a week
boiled chicken and white rice, thats all!

Remove the skin and fat, see what that does.

Dag Sabot
August 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM
-good idea. Ill stop by the vet's today to get a sample container.
-I like the chicken idea as well, it sounds healthy. I dont trust what they put in dogfood these days, and im sure he'll love it!

Toonces
August 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I usually pick mine up by putting a ziplock bag on my hand, grabbing the sample and then turn the bag inside out and there ya have it, no muss no fuss.

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
boiled ground beef, rice and cottage cheese is good too, so is yogurt to replace the beneficial bacteria in his tummy.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM
When you change the food, do you do it gradually? Which foods have you tried?

Dag Sabot
August 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM
i did it using the "half and half method" until i ran out of the original dog food.
Every now and then ill add some generic canned food for gravy, he seems to enjoy that.
Now hes on Iams large breed formula.
i had him on some designer food(dont remember brand) i bought at a petshop, but it was too expensive, and he didnt much like the small pieces, or the venison flavour. I can tell he prefers the "iams" as he hits the bowl right away and empties about half and leaves the rest for a snack.
Ill sometimes drop in the bowl any leftovers i think he might like,ie: hot dog ends, trimmings off steak etc. but its not often and not much.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM
But which foods?

nymph
August 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I took this to my vet when Diego was having diarrhea. Self-diagnosis is dangerous, please take this puppy to see a vet asap, and take a stool sample with you for testing of parasites.

Diego was later put on Hill's i/d canned diet for 4 days and some prescription medication. The vet also prescribed yogurt with active bacterial culture for him.

CANINE DIARRHEA (http://www.pethealthcare.net/html/body_canine_diarrhea.html)

What causes diarrhea?

Diarrhea is not a disease; rather, it is a symptom of many different diseases. Many mild cases of diarrhea can be resolved quickly with simple treatments. Others are the result of fatal illnesses, such as cancer. Even diarrhea caused by mild illnesses may become fatal if treatment is not begun early enough to prevent severe fluid and nutrient losses.

How serious is diarrhea in dogs?

We attempt to determine how sick the dog has become as a consequence of the diarrhea. When the dog is systemically ill (i.e., more than one body system is involved), some of the following may be noted:

(a) Vomiting

(b) Dehydration

(c) Loss of appetite

(d) Abdominal pain

(e) High fever

(f) Lethargy

(g) Bloody and/or watery diarrhea

What types of tests are performed to find the cause?

If diarrhea is associated with several of the above signs, we perform a series of tests in the hope that a diagnosis can be made. This permits more specific treatment. Diagnostic tests may include radiography (x-rays) with or without barium, blood tests, stool cultures, biopsies of the intestinal tract, and exploratory abdominal surgery. Once the diagnosis is known, treatment may include special medications and/or diets, or surgery.

If your dog does not appear systemically ill from diarrhea, the cause may be less serious. Some of the minor causes of diarrhea include stomach or intestinal viruses, intestinal parasites, and dietary indiscretions (such as eating garbage or other offensive or irritating materials). A minimum number of tests are performed to rule out certain parasites and infections. These cases may be treated with drugs to control the motility of the intestinal tract, drugs that relieve inflammation in the intestinal tract, and, often, a special diet for a few days. This approach allows the body's healing mechanisms to correct the problem. We expect improvement within 2-4 days; if this does not occur, a change in medication or further tests are done to better understand the problem. Please keep us informed of lack of expected improvement so that we may manage the situation properly.

DIARRHEA QUESTIONNAIRE

1. How long has the diarrhea been present?

2. Is the diarrhea more severe now than a few days ago?

3. Circle the letter of each item that applies:

Consistency
a. Watery stool
b. Stool is the thickness of pancake batter

Blood
c. Very bloody stool
d. Only sporadic blood present
e. Blood not present in stool
f. Bright red blood present
g. Dark, tarry blood present

Degree/Frequency
h. Entire stool is soft or watery
i. Only portions of the stool are soft or watery
j. Diarrhea with each bowel movement
k. Diarrhea is sporadic (some bowel movements are normal)
l. Only 1 or 2 bowel movements per day
m. More than 4 bowel movements per day

Color
n. Stool is dark brown in color
o. Stool is very pale in color
p. Stool is black and tarry in appearance

Miscellaneous
q. Thick mucus or pieces of tissue present in stool
r. Loss of bowel control (defecates in the house on the floor)
s. Severe straining when having a bowel movement

Is your dog's appetite normal? If not, is it eating at all?

What have you been feeding your dog during the last week? (Include dog or cat foods, treats, table foods, milk, and anything else that it gets on a daily basis. Also state what percentage of the diet is each item or category.)

Does your dog have access to foods other than what you feed it? If so, what?

Has there been a significant diet change in the last few weeks? If so, does that correspond with the onset of the diarrhea?

Is your dog as active as normal?

Describe any change in water consumption (up or down).

Has vomiting been occurring? If so, how frequently and for how long?

Does your dog go outside your house?

Does your dog go outside your yard?

Does your dog have access to garbage cans, either within your house or yard or outside your yard?

Does your dog have toys that it plays with that could have been swallowed?

Does your dog have access to sewing materials, such as thread or needles, or rubber bands, or string?

Do you have other dogs or cats that live with this one? If so, does the other pet have diarrhea?

Do any of the members of your family currently have a diarrhea problem?

At what phone number may we reach you or your spouse today if we need further information?

Dag Sabot
August 8th, 2005, 04:16 PM
-i think i'll give the vet a bag of dog poo, and the dog some chicken, rice, and yoghurt for dessert.. lucky dog. Ill be having the bag of chips special with a side of beer.
LOL

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 04:35 PM
But which foods?
Did you see this question? :)

pags
August 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Did you see this question? :)

Now hes on Iams large breed formula.
i had him on some designer food(dont remember brand) i bought at a petshop,

I think other than the shelter food that's all Dag's talking about, Prin. A bag of forgotten brand food - and then the Iam's.

It was really hard getting Judge adjusted after the shelter. I found out they feed the dogs a different food at every meal at the local shelter -- they just indiscriminately fill the bowls with whatever is available... and of course it's donated stuff -- grocery store brands and what have you. I felt like a real moron calling up the shelter and asking what food Judge had been eating so I could ease his transition to a new food. :p

All that aside, Dag.. Let us know about the sample. It's hard to find some of the critters that can cause such things sometimes. Once we got rid of the parasites and such lurking around in our puppy -- I still feel that Luba's special chicken and rice/potato yogurt dinners helped us (and Judge, of course.. but he didn't pick up his own poo - you know?) the most. Good luck! And let us know what the vet says.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I was looking more for this one: ultra expensive all natural food that lasted a week still with no "solid" results.
Depending on the food, it could take a couple of months for the stool to get normal on a natural food, especially after Iams.

mona_b
August 9th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I would definately have a stool sample done.

The home cooking is another good idea.

Also,Iams is not a very good food.Check out the ingredients.The first 5 should not contain corn.And Iams has way to many fillers in it.This could also be the cause of the loose stools.I would definately put him on a better food.

Also,most premium and a bit pricey foods last longer cause you don't have to feed as much.Here are some good premium food.

Wellness
Innove
Chicken soup for the pet lovers Soul
Canadea
Solid Gold
Nutro
Eagle Pack Holistic.

As Prin said,it will take a while for the stool to harden up .It will take more than a week. :)

Dag Sabot
August 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info.
I have submitted a stool sample to the vet. He doesn't think that the problem is serious: Theres no blood in his stool or worms etc. He has a normal appetite and seems happy and alert.
BTW: he did confirm that iams isnt good food, to avoid it. I told him about the rice and chicken idea, and the yoghurt etc. He told me it "Couldnt hurt" and he showed me a few brands of dog food that he sold; very informative.
I'll wait for the results and pick up a bag today after work, i think the stuff he recommended was "eagle" something or other. And the only reason i remember that is because it reminds me of the eagle brand stuff that comes in a can and tastes really sweet, prolly used for baking,which i used to eat it straight out of the can but now i just dump it into my coffee.
-Good old pancreas, man's other best friend.