Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

depressed cat

ceci
August 8th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I have just adopted a 14 mo. old chi pup and my 7 year old male cat has become extremely depressed. He's hiding in the basement and won't eat (3days now). He has also been crying. I have picked him up and hugged him each time I see him but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Writing4Fun
August 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Hi there. A cat not eating is a very serious issue! You need to take him to the vet ASAP to make sure there's nothing physically wrong with him first and foremost.

Once a medical condition has been ruled out, then you can start the introductions over again. LuckyRescue, a very knowledgeable and respected member on this site, has given great advice on how to introduce dogs and cats. You can search through her threads, or just do a general search on the site for "introduce a dog to a cat" or vice-versa. Before starting, though, I'd bring the cat up to your bedroom, leave him in there with is food/water dishes and litterbox, and keep the door closed. Don't let the puppy near your bedroom until the cat has calmed down and you've gotten a good game plan together for their introduction.

Good luck! :fingerscr

Schwinn
August 8th, 2005, 09:32 AM
We had that when we brought Daisy home. Newbie hid in the basement for a long while. Then when she was hungry, she came out and ate. Eventually, she learned to tolerate the dog. She still is a little spastic around Daisy, but she's been kind of bent from day one. I wouldn't stress too much. It's an adjustment