Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat aggressions and spraying

Lucylump
August 8th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Hello everyone: I'm at my wit's end and ready to give up. We are a multi-family cat home and never had problems until we introduced our beautiful orange, long-haired cat. All cats are male and were neutered as early as possible. All cats are receiving yearly shots and medical treatment. Each cat has their own litterbox and their own feeding bowl.
Ko-Ko is 14, Spirit is 10 and "Cheesewhiz" is now three. About two years ago he started spraying and urinating on rugs, on towels, on clean laundry, pretty much anywhere he chose. He also started becoming more and more aggressive with the other two cats. He will corner them or sneak up behind them and pounce right on top. There have been several major fights which we have had to break up with water spray. We have tried multiple solutions...moth balls on the mats at the doors incase he is smelling cats outside, changing of litter and litterbox, intense clean up keeping in mind that certain cleaners will attract him back to the same spot, orange spraying everything as he hates the smell of citrus. We have even recently started letting him outside for short periods to relieve possible boredom.
We are going to be moving to a new home that has carpeting everywhere, I simply cannot keep this up. Plus, we have 5 teenagers as we are foster parents so the possiblity that he is spraying everytime something or someone new comes into the house is also another possibility, unfortunately, we can't do anything about that.
Am I in a situation where I have a cat that needs to be in a one-cat home without change?
Any advice would bo soooooo appreciated
Thank you, Sandy in Ontario

Lucky Rescue
August 8th, 2005, 10:50 AM
This question might sound really stupid to you, but are you sure this cat IS neutered? His behavior sounds very much like an intact tomcat.

I'm asking because I know someone who took her cat to be neutered at the vet, brought him home that night.

She later found out that some mix up had occured and he had not be neutered after all! :eek:

Your cat has long hair, so the first thing I would do is check to make sure his "boys" are indeed gone!

If he is neutered, then yes he may be a thin skinned type cat who needs to be the only pet in a quieter home.