Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hairballs

badger
August 8th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I used to have a vet who 'didn't believe' in hair balls. Well, I'd like to show him what poor Noah brought up last night! After being diagnosed with a fever (everything else normal except for a tender stomach) and being put on clamavox plus an anti-inflammatory, he vomited his dinner plus this really dense cylinder of hair, about an inch in diameter - unbelievable! I hesitated at first, because from the shape, it could have come from either end (sorry).

Can hairballs cause fever? Do I keep him on the clamavox for another 9 days? I hate medicating him if he doesn't need it. I'll continue with the anti-inflammatory, though, it's only for a few days and it will take care of any after-effects. Poor fellow, he was so relieved! And hungry!

This reminds me of Cyber's comments on another thread, about the lengths vets will go to with treatments. Since our animals are in some way an extension of ourselves, it could be compared to human over-medicalizing. With Noah, I could have waited, he wasn't that poorly, and of course the vet had no idea what it was. But I wanted him 'fixed', isn't that the bottom line? So out come the drugs.

BMDLuver
August 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM
The cat I took in , Toinnette, throws up a hairball about once a week. It's getting less as I put her on a food that helps with the hairballs. She doesn't run a fever though when she has one so I would think that the meds are for a possible infection that the vet can't figure out?

chico2
August 8th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I am glad it was nothing more serious than a hairball.Good for Noah!
I don't even know what Clamavox is for,if it is an antibiotic and Noah ran a fever,indicating an infection,I would probably continue giving it to him,
unless he keeps vomiting all his food because of it.

mona_b
August 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I would think that the meds are for a possible infection that the vet can't figure out?

I have to agree.

Casper was getting hairballs.He's a DMH.I changed to Performatrin Ultra Holistic.It's very rare that he gets them now.And he has never gotten a fever due to hairballs.

Lucky Rescue
August 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM
A vet who "doesn't believe in hairballs?" Don't tell that to a cat I had who heaved them up on a regular basis.

Clavamox has caused nausea in the most of the cats I've given it to. The last time a cat needed antibiotics, I asked for a kind that would not make him sick.

BMDLuver
August 8th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I'm curious now, our vet uses amoxicil normally.. so what is the difference between amoxicil and clavamox? I know amoxicil is a derivative of penicillin but what's clavamox?

badger
August 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Sorry, about to ruin your breakfast again. After perking right up over the last couple of days, Noah vomited four times overnight, very dry, look exactly like long turds, but less dense. Still lots of hair but no real hairballs. He's eating plenty (mostly canned) and doesn't seem bothered by any of this. I wonder if the Clamavox is irritating his stomach. Should I stop medicating him? Damn.

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Badger,sorry to hear that,but maybe like Lucky says,the Clamavox causes nausea and makes poor Noah sick.
My cats sometimes will vomit turdlike things,usually looks like undigested dry food.I am not too concerned if it happens once in a blue moon,but probably would be if it happens often.
I bet it's the meds,or maybe Noah has more hair in his tummy than you thought.
If he needs antibiotics,you should probably try something different,but only if you know there is an infection...Is Noah the little orange one?