Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

scared for my dog

Lioness031475
August 8th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Hi i have 2 dogs, a male 1.5 yr old 85 lb basset & a 3 yr old female dorkie thats about 7 lbs she was in heat around the 5th of july and i did my best to keep em separate but my husband is a trucker & happened to be home for home time & locked em together with out knowing she was in heat now her tits r swelling but shes not gaining weight & shes started eating plastic and not dog food the vet says shes fine that he doesnt want to see her. How can i tell if shes pregnant the only sign she shows is swelling tits. Im baffeled
thanks ...Lioness031475

CyberKitten
August 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
With all due respect to you and your vet, I have never heard of any vet refusing to see a pet. I know I am an overprotective meomy and bring my kitties in for the least liyylr thing but she humours me. <g> The best thing to do is bring the dog to a vet or find another vet and get an appointment there. Good luck!

StaceyB
August 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Not a good sign. Did you tell your vet what you have posted here. If she is pregnant she may have to have a c-section. You can get an ultrasound if you really want to know. All I could think of when I read your post was why they are not fixed.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Get a new vet. This dog should be seen by a vet, without question.

Lucky Rescue
August 8th, 2005, 12:22 AM
If it's possible for an 85lb dog to impregnate a 7lb dog without killing it (which I have hard time imagining) then the pregnancy and/or birth will kill her.

I have never heard of a vet refusing to see an animal.

LL1
August 8th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Id go to a vet,and spay her and neuter the male.

Luba
August 8th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Something doesn't sound right

StaceyB
August 8th, 2005, 02:49 AM
I really wasn't paying attention. I didn't even look at the breed of the male. All I saw was little wee one.
I don't know how easy it is for a ----------- OhOh I was going the wrong was with this.
What I meant was I don't know how hard it is when the male is bigger, but I'll tell you when the male is smaller, he has a heck of a time. Many years ago my Tasha had a planned pregnancy. It was done right, but thats besides the point. Anyway the male we had chosen was a little smaller than her. We had to hold him up.

BMDLuver
August 8th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Spay/Neuter = no fear

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Please take her to another vet and get her fixed right away, while your at it take him too and then there will be no worries.

mona_b
August 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Get a new vet and have them both fixed.

Also,85lbs is overweight for a Basset Hound.They should not weigh more than 70lbs.

I have never heard of a vet refusing to see an animal.

Exactly.

Lioness031475
August 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I took Precious & Doink to a new vet. Precious is not pregnant they did a blood test & an ultrasound. They said she is having a "false" pregnancy. Now Doink is going to be bread with another basset after she turns 2 in Dec. so no hes not getting fixed, and as for him being over weight i was told he is fine and has awesome muscle tone not to change his diet or excersize program even a lil bit. so before you go and say some ones dog is overweight or that it needs neutered you might want to ask what your intentions are first plus he cant be in show if he is neutered, Precious was given to us 3 mos ago and yes i knew she needs spayed hense my attempt to keep em separated. This group is very judgemental it almost makes me sorry i even posted.
Lioness :mad:

Byrd
August 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM
My sister's Choco Lab goes through false pregnancy everytime she goes into heat. Vet says she may be sterile (my sister wants her to have puppies).

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM
What you see as judgemental, I see as people caring about the welfare and health of your little dog, who is now suffering through a false pregnancy and who next time may contract pyometra and die.

yes i knew she needs spayed hense my attempt to keep em separated.
So why isn't she spayed? Many people here spend time and money and heartache dealing with the abandoned results of "Oops" pregnancies and just are trying to prevent yet one more.

Now Doink is going to be bread with another basset after she turns 2 in Dec. so no hes not getting fixed, and as for him being over weight i was told he is fine and has awesome muscle tone

Since the standard calls for a 60 - 70lb dog, your dog at 85lbs might not be overweight, but must be oversized, therefore out of standard, therefore should not be bred. Do you know what the standard is for this breed?

He's 1 1/2 now, just when do you plan to show him? It's getting pretty late since no dogs should be bred without a championship. Do you plan to get this before December?

Lioness031475
August 10th, 2005, 07:11 PM
dogs should be bred without a championship? Bull ****. Weather my dog is a "champion" or not has no baring on weather he should beed crawl off your high horse & let ppl have normal pets. My origional question was about Precious any way not your opinions of Doink ... Keep those to your selves
Lioness

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Sorry, but when you post on a public message board, you may get replies you don't like. If you cannot tolerate that, may I suggest you refrain from posting?

If you think the fact that your dog is out of standard, has no titles, and no doubt no health testing either yet should be bred (why??), then you know so little about dogs and breeding that you should NOT be breeding.

Here is a minor list of what you should do before breeding a dog:
I'm sure it will surprise you.

Checklist for responsible breeding (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/checklist.html)

BTW, profanity is not needed in adult conversation.;)

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I am really sorry but you posted a message on a board that is very high on promoting spay/neuter. Several are also attached to rescue organizations that deal with an overload of unwanted/unplanned puppies. Go through any of the threads and you will usually see atleast one mention about being against BYB. You also posted your message and didn't respond with any further details for two days. Anyone would assume by your post that you were not a breeder, so they wouldn't assume that you were planning on breeding. We would obviously be concerned if anyone posted saying that they planned on using any dog for breeding purposes unless they were doing something to improve the lines, not because we may think they look nice to us. I don't want this to come out wrong so forgive me if it does. What does this guy have that will improve his lines?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Personally if I was going to get a purebred puppy yes it would matter to me if the parents were champions, I know if I were going to spend money on a purebred I would want to see health records and pedigree. I know some people dont care and would take a dog that does not champion parents. I ended up with an adult purebred. He was shown and was also a champion. He wasn't bred because he had a missing tooth. The breeder admitted it sounded trivial but it was something that mattered. It also turned out that the other dogs she had turned out to be to closely related to him so he was neutured and now we have him.

:)

Puppyluv
August 10th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Don't assume that because people suggest that you spay/neuter your dogs, and not to breed non-champions, that they have alterior motives. There are no high horses here. We say these things in the best interest of the dogs, not to be pretentious!!!

I have to say when i read that your bassett is 85 lbs, I thought it was a misprint! I know that if I were going through the expenses of buying a purebreed, registered, etc etc dog, I may be deterred by the large size!

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM
When I seeked out a breeder for Danes I looked at several details. Mainly health and temperment. I wanted to know that the breeders dogs were social. I found that I preferred registered breeders because they have more criteria to follow than a typical breeder. As a trainer I hear it all. There are the BYB and puppy mills that we already know as irresponsible but there are also many breeders that are borderline BYBs and think they know best but some are out to lunch with information and instructions they give to the buyers. I make it clear to my students that they can trust the sources of information. Many sources are strictly opinion and no scientific facts. First time puppy owners sometimes put too much into what their breeder has told them.
Here is an example. I was teaching a puppy class. During the class we have a portion of time that is reserved for teaching proper play, the rules of play. The puppies/owners learn what is acceptable and what is not. One was a little boxer puppy. This puppy was far too rough, growling and barking. This behaviour needed to be adjusted so that this puppy would be as safe as possible in any play situation he was in. Another dog may have faught him becausse of this behaviour. Once he learnt the rules he was fine but the breeder told him that all Boxers play this way. Maybe all the breeders dogs did this but it hardly meant that all did. If this puppy hadn't come into a class and learnt that it was not acceptable and possibly dangerous they may not have corrected the problem at all. Odds are that if this were to continue he may have been in far too many fights. The more someone beats on you the higher the chance is that he would learn to fight. All because of the advice of a breeder. One persons limited view may not be correct and may do more harm than good.

coppperbelle
August 10th, 2005, 09:27 PM
The reason why some of us get on our high horses about spaying/neutering animals is because we work in rescue. We see first hand daily the results of people who don't know their butts from their elbows about breeding.

You came here concerned that your 85 pound Basset impregnated a much smaller dog. You have had 3 months to spay her and you chose not to. What did you think people were going to say?

StaceyB
August 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Any knowledgable Basset seeker is going to be concerned if the pups father is oversized. This size may effect other areas, such as displasia. Bassets are more at risk of serious health issues than most other breeds. They are also one of the most expensive premiums for health insurance.

CyberKitten
August 10th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I am shocked to see that even tho provided with info by knowledgable ppl, you plan to breed a non standard non titled (hopefully there is a pedigree at least???) dog. This means you are backyard breeder and are part of the problem. No reputable breeder would do what you plan nor will you find the best homes for your puppies - or are you just in it for the money and do not care for the health of your dog? There is an ethical pledge all reputable breeders ascribe to and that is to breed ONLY for the betterment of the breed after their titled pedigreed purebred dog who has been tested and genetically screened.

I hope you reconsider. You could always find a dog that does in fact meet the breed standards, find a mentor and become involved in the dog show circuit. Then you would be considered reputable. Until then, it is almost a certainty that the products of your poor dog's preganacies will become the problems of the some of the ppl here who operate rescue.

Am I harsh? Yes! But I do not want to see needless suffering!!

Lioness031475
August 10th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Its amazing how much all of you assume things. Did i ever say he wasnt papered? No! Did i ever say once he has not competed? No! Did i ever say anything about him origionally that would make any of you thing he doesnt see a vet regularly? No! Now my origional post was about my Dorkie and her possibly being pregnant, I know now that shes not & i dont have issues about breeding Doink with another basset who chose us out of 25 other dogs to breed with. Lay off my basset.
Lioness

Puppyluv
August 11th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I must say I am intrigued by the fact that he's a show dog. You said he's not overweight, so at 85 lbs, he must have a large frame. Fair enough. But considering that it's a disqualification for Bassets to be over 15 inches tall, where is all this weight being carried???

White Wolf
August 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I took Precious & Doink to a new vet. Precious is not pregnant they did a blood test & an ultrasound. They said she is having a "false" pregnancy. The original question has been answered, and so this thread has run its course. ;)

Lioness031475
August 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM
its called muscle tone and a good exercise program as well as feeding him properly 60-70 lbs is a general comparison not a must so my dog weighs more than the average basset hes an above average dog who is well trained, competes, and is involved in the search & rescue team for him 85 lbs is nothing to complain about now do tell WHY shouldnt i breed him again?... oh yeah i forgot im am uninformed irresponsible pet owner. and you all say your not judgemental & ur not on a high horse. i suggest you think again