Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What I learned at the vet yesterday.

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Hi everybody- I learned some stuff at the vet yesterday, stuff I never knew, so I thought I would share.

Allergies can cause the anal glands to act up and be itchy. :eek: I never knew that and recently Jemma started scooting for the first time. Turns out the glands were empty and it's the ragweed that's the culprit. ooh I would feel bad for her if she scooted on a ragweed plant... EEK!

Another thing is that as most people know, Rabies vaccines should ONLY be given every 3 years, and on top of that, Distemper is to be given every 2 years now too. As a result, a lot of vets are not complying or are jacking up their consult fees to make up for the loss in revenue. So beware of really unnecessarily vaccinating. :)

Puppyluv
August 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Prin, about the rabies, i thought there were one year and three year vaccines... have i been told lies? :eek:

Writing4Fun
August 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Another thing is that as most people know, Rabies vaccines should ONLY be given every 3 years, and on top of that, Distemper is to be given every 2 years now too. As a result, a lot of vets are not complying or are jacking up their consult fees to make up for the loss in revenue. So beware of really unnecessarily vaccinating. :)
Every 3 years for rabies? Is that for all dogs, regardless of age? Or, if your new pup got their first shot at however-many-weeks-old, and they have a booster a year later, it's every 3 years after that booster? Or every 3 years after that first puppy shot? Do the cities know this? Because a person can get fined if they don't have up-to-date rabies tags, can't they? Or have the vets changed the rabies tags to show that they're good for 3 years now? Have I confused everyone else? Because I've gone cross-eyed just trying to type all this stuff. :confused:

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Once your doggy has had all the boosters, usually by 1.5 years, then it's every three years. And no there aren't one year and three year vaccines. They have just been proven to be more effective than they thought.

The cities know this, and you are also given a certificate that says "Boo has been vaccinated with ImRab for 3 years."

Puppyluv
August 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM
The cities know this, and you are also given a certificate that says "Boo has been vaccinated with ImRab for 3 years."
:eek: My certificate doesn't mention Boo!!! Oh no!!! :eek:

sorry couldn't resist:D

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
LOL I walked right into that one. :)

Freyja
August 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
This goes along with what my vet told me a coulple of weeks ago when I took Lindy in for her 18mos shots.

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, Freyja, it should be the norm, but a lot of vets are not following the studies because it cuts into their finances. I believe this is the reason some vets still say to neuter at 1.5 years. It's a money grab, not backed up by research.

I just wanted to post it here because the adage "buyer beware" still applies to veterinary care... Nobody wants to give vaccines that their dogs don't need.

Oh, and about the anal glands, in case your dog has seasonal scooting... ;)

Karin
August 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Florida is one of the last states to approve the 3 year vaccine for rabies in the US, it is however up to each county to inact it.

The vaccines produced today have been made stronger than 20 years ago. Two decades ago, most vaccines only worked for 8 or less months. No vaccine is ever 100%, so be aware, but technology today has made them much safer and proven to give immunity for longer periods. (If given right)

Exposure still requires a rv booster asap.

chico2
August 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM
My vet insists on Rabies-shots every 2 years..but that was after I discussed with her what I had learned,otherwise she would have continued with rabie-shots every year.
It's important to try to educate yourself and ask questions of your vet,of course they are in it for money,they have to make a living!

Writing4Fun
August 7th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Well, I just confirmed with my sister that our vet is doing the every 3 years thing. I just didn't know it because this was Phoebe's first year booster. D'uh! :p Good to know. :D

BoxerRescueMTL
August 7th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Here are some interesting links..

Jean Dodds' stance on vaccines (http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/vDrDodds.html)

An EXCELLENT article
Animal Wellness magazine article (http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/p/articles/vaccination1.htm)

B-Naturals- Vaccinosis (http://www.b-naturals.com/Fal1997.php)

SnowDancer
August 7th, 2005, 06:38 PM
My vet is following new vaccination procedures. Keeps very up to date.

doggy lover
August 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Tucker is suppose to get his rabies every two years, my last dog got them every year?

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
It's a fairly recent development.

db7
August 7th, 2005, 11:06 PM
For rabies, the lenght of effectiveness of the vaccine is pretty much irrelevent. The time frame is set by law some places every year, other places accep the 'New" 3 yr shot. But they last a lot longer.

Other shots like distemper are generally reccomended every three years.

But the reality is (Disclaimer, I'm no vet!) you only have to give your dog the vaccine once in it's life, maybe twice. The studies have shown that they definitely are effective to 7 years and can stay effective for up to 15 years.

While there is some value in basic vaccination. Pets are generally way over-vaccinated in the name of public health.

It's a racket.

I don't plan on giving my dog any more vaccines other than rabies (due to the law). She's 3.

Puppyluv
August 7th, 2005, 11:16 PM
what about border crossing? They always seem so anal about these things....

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 11:16 PM
That's pretty much what one of the links BoxerRescueMTL posted says. :)

Puppyluv
August 7th, 2005, 11:18 PM
my internet is being stupid. the links won't work for me :(
I'll have to try later

LL1
August 7th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Im with you.

Pets are generally way over-vaccinated in the name of public health.

It's a racket.

I don't plan on giving my dog any more vaccines other than rabies (due to the law). She's 3.

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Aw Puppyluv- they work for me. :o

BoxerRescueMTL
August 7th, 2005, 11:36 PM

Ditto! Vegas hasn't had anything since his puppy shots, and he never will have anymore.

pags
August 7th, 2005, 11:46 PM
From my state department of health website: 'Mississippi law requires rabies vaccination by a licensed veterinarian to all dog and cats over three months of age, again at one year, and at least every three years thereafter.'

I was really happy to see that my state actually changed to every three years. The last time I had a dog we were still required to vaccinate yearly... So they actually kept up around here.

BUT reading this made do a big GASP because I just realized that we haven't done Judge's rabies vaccination yet and my vet wanted to wait until 6 months. I totally forgot that the form from the county shelter said we were actually required to give a rabies vaccination within 10 days of adopting the puppy. (But he would have been SO young...) So when exactly is the earliest safe vaccination age for a puppy -- uh rabies vaccination, I mean? He's had all of his other shots/boosters.... (er.. is still getting... you know what I mean..)

sarahandelvis
August 8th, 2005, 04:00 AM
My pup suffered enough with his last Rabies shot (given at the same time as distemper, looking back I shouldn't have let them do that, but I didn't know) I am VERY cautious about what my Vet tells me in regards to Vaccinnes. My pup displayed allergy symptoms and loss of bladder control from the last set, and it seems as though I didn't suspect it at the time - he developed his wheat allergy right after the shots before that.

My pup is 6 months, so they've given him the full battery of initial Vaccines - and that second article posted states that everything but Rabies is going to be effective after the initial vaccine? Can someone please confirm that I am interpreting this correctly?

We aren't doing anymore unnecessary and damaging boosters, and if we have to get more from this point they'll be seperately for sure. This is also a pain in the butt for Pet Insurance, it seems like all these plans have the yearly boosters as a requirement for the policy.

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Definitely don't do all the boosters in one day.

What I would do- your next ones would be due at 1 1/2 years of age, I would get the Rabies and lepto one day, and then two weeks later, get the lepto again with the distemper. (the first Lepto shot is given in two). After that, according to my vet, at 3.5 you'd get the distemper, and at 4.5 the rabies, and then distemper every two years, rabies every three.

If you want to follow an even more reduced vaccination schedule, you'll have to wait for the others to respond... ;)

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM
My dogs have never had a problem with their needles, but my moms dog can't have her rabies vac. due to a really bad reaction. She had to be rushed back to the vet as her tongue swelled, face swelled, she was drooling and panting excessivley. They had to give her two different needles, it was like a doggy form of anapaletic shock. She got this reaction at 8years of age, so we must always becareful.

kandy
August 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
For those who say they'll never vaccinate their dog again - I would suggest that you at least have the Titer tests done regularly. You won't know if your dog is still immune to something unless you have them tested.

BoxerRescueMTL
August 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Good point Kandy! It is very important to research and educate yourself before making any major decisions about your dog's health. Know the ins and outs and consequences and benefits of what you are doing. Prepare yourself and do it right. :D
I'd like to add that I have 100% support from my veterinarian (the best vet ever!) about how I've decided to treat my pets. He helps me along and answers all the questions I have. Info on the net is a great stepping stone, but make sure to dig a little deeper.