Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's not as bad as it seems, right?

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:43 PM
The people across the street from our new house have three dogs. The woman came home today while my tv was on mute for commercials. Two dogs started barking and she started SCREAMING. TOTALLY SCREAMING. And then the dog (the german shep they have) cried for at least 5 seconds straight. It made me cry. What can I do about it?

The dog in the apartment next to us was abused too and I was told not to do anything because they could just reverse the claims on me. What do you do about this? Keep your windows closed? (I think they were closed at the time...) I hate this. Why do people have to suck so much?

I just wonder if maybe the dog was a drama queen, and she was just holding it by the neck fur or something and it was screaming, but I doubt it with the way she was screeching at him. Arg.

I don't know what you all are supposed to respond to this. It's just nuts. I hate people who do this. Having a dog doesn't make you a good person. Being good to your dog makes you a good person, or at least it's a start.

Freyja
August 6th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Sounds like the woman has poor impulse control :rolleyes: . I wouldn't at all be surprised if she was abusing the poor dog. I don't know what you can do. I saw my next door neighbor hit his dog 5 times in a row for jumping up. They have not done ANY training with that dog. Unless you have proof what can anyone do???

Jackie467
August 6th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. It could be that the dog is a drama queen, but with the people out there I'm afraid the alternative is more likely. I know if you scare candi (this could be as simple as comming around a corner on her too fast) she screams and I mean screams (Iggy lovers actully call it the death scream, if you ask and IG owner if they know what the death scream is I qarentee you they'll say yes).

I'm not really sure you can do anything because you didn't atully see the abuse happen. I say keep a log of everything you see and hear like that and if you see some blatent abuse call the police.

sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:55 PM
It's so hard because I have barely seen these dogs. When we first moved in, we were outside a lot and there was always a dog across the street in the window. Now we're still out often, but the blinds are pulled and there's no doggy. They are never really let out other than in the back yard, I guess, because we just never see them go anywhere. :rolleyes: Thanks for your replies. I know there's not much to answer.

chico2
August 7th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Prin,I probably do not always do what is right or acceptable to some,but if I hear a dog screaming,I am out the door in a flash!
Just last week,a man walking two little Bichons by my house(he does twice a day)was yelling at the top of his lungs and a dog was screaming..
I ran out in my yammies(what a sight!)and asked him"what the heck(used another word!)he's doing to his dog"
He said he lost his temper,the two dogs had gotten tangled in their leashes..but I think he headed my words and hopefully will not hit those dogs again,at least not in front of my house :evil:
I don't really care what people think of me,but NOBODY has the right to hurt any defenseless animal and I would never not try to do something about it.
Sometimes if you make the abuser aware that you know it will help..

badger
August 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Yammies - is that Swedish for jammies?

chico2
August 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
:D :D well,it's something in Swedish :D :D Sorry about that,I guess I am not as good at English as I think I am,but that goes for a lot of things,no humility here! :D

badger
August 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Your English is fine and I know native speakers who don't write as well.

Luba
August 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I don't let stuff like that go by unnoticed...honestly you have no idea what 'may' be going on in there.

Make it a point to recognize that it's happening.

IF you hear a dog cry like it's been hit CALL THE POLICE!!!

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Would the police do anything?

The trouble is, last night I was alone, so I didn't think it was safe for me to go over there without back up (where's Schwinn when you need him?!?).

I really wanted to go though. I had it all planned out. I was going to say, "Do you mind not hitting your dog so hard? His screaming upsets me." Sometimes it's enough to know that somebody can hear you being a total arse to stop. When I have company, I'll go over without question.
Oh- Chico, I know a LOT of people who call them yammies. :crazy:

melanie
August 7th, 2005, 05:58 PM
crap dont go calling the cops till you know whats going on for gods sake please...

if you could hear me some days, like the day charlie ate my bone jewel box, boy oh boy did i scream at her, yes i certainly did, i yelled at her she was jsut naughty and to get the hell in the corner now, she cries a bit and goes to the corner, and if she has done something and i have to show her she will crawl to it on her belly crying like im beating her, she often makes carry on sounds as she is a huge drama queen and will always make it sound really bad...

crap if you sat in the street and listened to one of those episodes you may think im crazy nad an abuser, btu im not and have a really stubborn drama queen on my hands, yes GSD are prone to being very vocal too... and if you kept listeneing you would hear the cries of a dog that is demanding a walk, yes she cries hard for that, she is a big manipulator and makes lots of sounds, i once grabbedthe top of her neck to stop her diong something silly, well anyone would have thought i had just stabbed her or something.

and if someone called the cops on em for that, well i woudl find that neighbor and give i t to them, i owuld give them hell for being so rude, not only for being so assuming without inquiring but that person has made no attempt to assess the situation, do you call the cops when you hear a child scream or cry?? if you sat outside my sisters house you might, but then if you looked in the door you would see lots of noisy kids...

go over next time and look over the fence, nohing wrong with that, and if they ask what your doing jsut say you were concerned something was wrong, dont imply you think their abusing, just say you were a bit concerned is all, and perhaps you can find out the truth here without over assuming or giving the neighbors an awful time...food for thought

melanie
August 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM
actually i would go there today and stick your head over the fence, check out how they look..... that will hep you

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
That's one reason I wasn't sure. I know dogs that I have grabbed by the neck fur that screamed bloody murder when I know it's isn't hurting a bit. I think because we care so much, we tend to think the worst and want to safe the little guy right away. That said, I think it was the way he screamed that got me. I have never heard a dog scream so sadly. :sad:

I have been listening all day, and she has come home three times and twice the dogs were barking and she didn't make a peep. Maybe it was a one time thing. I hope. We'll see.

LL1
August 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I agree with you.If the people dont like it,too bad.If it is not abuse they will have nothing to hide,and it is abuse,they will know you are right there watching and listening.

I will never forget when the stories in the paper of people hearing children scream and did nothing,but after the bodies were found they were right there on tv saying all the things they had heard but did not want to get involved.If the person does care about animals,whether there is abuse or not they will be glad you are trying to ensure an animals safety.

I don't let stuff like that go by unnoticed...honestly you have no idea what 'may' be going on in there.

Make it a point to recognize that it's happening.

IF you hear a dog cry like it's been hit CALL THE POLICE!!!

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I don't think people are usually that understanding... Can I wait for the next time? Or is that bad?

kandy
August 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
If you can get a look at the dogs now, then great. If not, I would wait until you hear it again - and then go to the door and ask if everything's ok. You can pretend your concern is for the woman and not the dog - as if the sounds indicated that maybe the woman had been hurt by the dog or something. I have also seen/heard dogs that scream bloody murder over nothing. I will also admit that I have screamed at my dogs before - doesn't mean that I was abusing them. It's a hard position to be put in - you want to make sure the dogs aren't being abused and are being taken care of - but yet you don't want to start a feud with a neighbor over a one time bout of anger. Good Luck! :pawprint:

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I have never heard my dogs scream, not even when in pain. But wait and see if it happens again, maybe the dog is a suck and she stepped on its tail or paw, hopefully that is all that happened.

Roxy's_MA
August 8th, 2005, 02:48 PM
My dog can be a bit of a drama queen, and I have heard her get pretty high pitched(screaming). The fact that they woman was screaming and then the dog cried makes me very suspicious :( . I would keep a close eye on the situation. If you notice anything else. Make sure the you are certain it is abuse before you phone any authorities.

SarahLynn123
August 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
If it happens again maybe go over with your phone and say you were very worried, she was yelling, the dog was crying and you thought that someone might have broke in and was hurting them!

When you find out thats not the case appologize and mention that you have a couple of dogs and maybe she would like to set up a play date. It will give you a chance to meet her and have a friendly chat and get a better feel for the way she treats them.

jjgeonerd
August 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM
If it happens again maybe go over with your phone and say you were very worried, she was yelling, the dog was crying and you thought that someone might have broke in and was hurting them!

When you find out thats not the case appologize and mention that you have a couple of dogs and maybe she would like to set up a play date. It will give you a chance to meet her and have a friendly chat and get a better feel for the way she treats them.

That's a pretty good idea. Non-confrontational..for now.

melanie
August 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM
thats a good idea, if it happens again jsut go over and act concerned and say you were not sure if it was a breaking or if the dogs were fighint or such, just act concerned and you should be fine, and its always good to act a bit dumb also.... :D

Prin
August 8th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Good idea. I play the dumb brunette pretty well. ;)