Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat had a stroke...need advice.

ktk
August 6th, 2005, 09:48 PM
hi there,

i just signed up because i really need some help and /or advice.

a week ago yesterday my cat had a "stroke-like episode" according to the vet. she walked into the room, sat down, and just couldn't get back up.

she's been home now for 5 days and her recovery is going quite slowly.

she can stand but her back legs won't really work for her so she can only make a few steps before she falls over. i've been trying to get her to walk but she just goes limp and lays back down.

she can make a few awkward steps to the litter box but i have to hold her so she doesn't fall over.

the vet couldn't give me much advice...she hadn't had many similar cases although she did say that a reasonable recovery was possible and my cat would probably be walking again in a week or two.

so, i'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation or may know someone who has. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i haven't found much helpful advice searching the web.

i just need to know what i can expect as far as recovery time or any tips on getting my kitty to move around and excercise her back legs so she can get the strength to walk again.

thank you.

Lucky Rescue
August 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
OH poor kitty!:(

Since cats rarely have strokes, in the sense that we have them, it sounds like something I found called "saddle thrombus" which is often results from heart disease and blood clots.

Look up "Saddle Thrombus cat" on Google for detailed reports, and for the short version you can look here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1540&articleid=3286

Is your cat in a lot of pain? Did you ask the vet the exact name of what is affecting her?

ktk
August 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
thanks for the information.
to answer your questions...

Is your cat in a lot of pain?
according to the vet, she showed no signs of being in pain.
as far as i can tell, she is not in pain.

Did you ask the vet the exact name of what is affecting her?
according to the visit summary i received, early saddle thrombus was ruled out.
basically, the terms used were "possibly hemiparesis to the left side" and feline cerebrovascular accident.

my cat's is currently without a vet (since late last year) so she was taken to an emergency clinic.
a friend has recommended a good vet and i will be making an oppointment with her for sometime next week.

SnowDancer
August 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
If you vet has advised you to try and get your kitty to walk, you might try using a sling to support her hind legs. I have not done this with a cat, but had to with a 10 lb. mini Dachshund. Guelph University provided me with the sling - long with knots at both ends - some people use towels, but I think they work better with bigger dogs. When I would take my dog out to the yard, I would support his rear end with this sling - it was frustrating for him, but part of his post surgery, physical therapy. BUT, our first Dachshund had episodes of paralysis that were treated at the time with steroids. As feeling returned to his body, he was moved by the vet to increasingly smaller cages to control his movements and limit his attempts to walk, so as not to cause another event. He later had full body surgery - a pioneer actually - and post surgery as feeling returned, I had to limit his walking - just enough to keep him limber. So different therapy depending on the case. You certainly could ask your vet about using a sling - I expect your cat weighhs at least 10 lbs. The most frustrating thing for my little guy was trying to have a bowel movement - he kept toppling over. I realize a stroke is different, but if you can help your cat walk, this is the way to go. Hope your kitty gets well soon.

mom of rotties
August 6th, 2005, 10:37 PM
About 17 years ago my cat had a stroke. She was put on steroids and used a sling to help the back end. Unfortunately 6 months later I had to put her down. Her recovery was going great until she had another stroke. I hope technology has come alot farther and their is better treatment. My best goes out to you and your kitty.I wish I could be of more help to you.

the gang
August 6th, 2005, 11:18 PM
where do you live???? i have a great chryo, he is a wounderful man he got my min pin back 90 per cent after being parillzed brenda quebec

ktk
August 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
where do you live????

i'm in london, ontario.

chico2
August 7th, 2005, 08:25 AM
My 10yr old Rocky has unexplained episodes similar to strokes,but after losing control of his limbs,he quickly recovers.
Tests eliminated stroke,heartproblems,epilepsy etc....but we still do not know why,as is often the case :confused:
With therapy,like in humans with stroke,hopefully your cat will recover most of his strenght,so don't give up!