Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats and birds together

meggie1425
August 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Hello! i really want to get a cat but i have 2 birds. Everyones been telling me if i get a cat it will kill the birds. I would obviously keep the cat out of my birds room (its a huge room and their not aloud in any other room in the house because they are way too messy and chew everything in site) but im just scared about the one time i forget to close the door... :eek: The birds are always out of their cages when im home but are always put back in when im gone, and at night. I would really appreciate any advice or if anyone has any experience haveing cats and birds as pets at the same time!
Thanks
-Megan

Lise
August 6th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I don't know what kind of birds you have,but our cats are fine with all our guys.We've got greys,cockatiels,lovebirds,doves,quakers and finches.One of our cats likes watching the finches,who are in an aviary.We've had our gang together for more than twenty years with no casualties.Just use common sense when you introduce and make sure your cages are either hanging or escape proof when you are out.We let the big guys out when we're home with the cats around,but little guys we close doors and make sure no cats are in before play time.

StaceyB
August 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM
No cat would be stupid enough to try and hurt my birds, Joe will sit there w/o moving and yell at the top of her lungs right in their face. Montana and one of the ferrets have had a taste of her rath. If she isn't enough the quakers will nip a nose, or the little buggers will chase kitty away. If the birdies don't feel threatened all is calm.

LL1
August 6th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Maybe try a rescue that has had a cat in a foster home with birds and behaved nicely?Id be careful,birds are so fragile,do they fly loose in the house?We have also had dogs in the rescue that would kill birds.

StaceyB
August 6th, 2005, 03:27 PM
We don't have cats but we do have the birds, dane, 2 t- poodles, 2 ferrets, all get along fine but you do have to use common sense.

LL1
August 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Of course you need to use common sense.The ones we have had killed were outside,on the fly so to speak,so I would be very careful with birds in the house with dogs or cats.

Lucky Rescue
August 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
As long as you remember that cats are predators and birds are prey, you may be okay.

but im just scared about the one time i forget to close the door...

If you have small birds, this could spell big trouble. Just one bite from a cat, even a minor bite, can kill a bird, due to the infection from the bacteria in a cat's mouth.

meggie1425
August 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
thanks for your help everyone... I have cockatiels, do they count as small or medium sized birds?

Lucky Rescue
August 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I have cockatiels, do they count as small or medium sized birds?

It depends on the cat.:p To some cats, like the one I had for 20 years, a cockatiel would be a nice light snack!

Many cats can learn to ignore birds in cages (except for finches) but even the most placid cat will usually pursue birds outside the cages.

Persians might be a good choice of cat breed. They are not usually very agile and may not be as predatory as many other cats. They do require a great deal of maintenence, however.

Shaykeija
August 7th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I used to have budgies. And a cat named Salsa. When I would air out the house (in the winter time) I would put the birds in the spare bedroom. One time I couldn't find Salsa and I thought, holy crap the cat is having a snack. I opened the bedroom door and he was sleeping beside the cage. Never bothered the birds at all. After Salsa died, we got a cat named Charlie. That cat used to jump 5 feet straight up and hang off the bottom of the cage. Used to freak the birds and me out. Charlie used to like doing this at about 3 in the morning. He was a hunter and would have killed the birds so I did the best thing for them. I brought them to work and kept them in my office. I sure miss Charlie, he was quite the hunter. He would bring snakes and chipmunks into the house all the time. He never killed anything he brought into the house. Used to just drop them at my feet. I can't tell you how many times I had to do the chipmunk chase through my house. :p And snakes don't bother me, so I would just pick them up, check them for injuries and release them. Snakes would make my husband screech like a banchee.. :eek: