Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are cats safe four days after spraying pesticide???

vcheng79
August 6th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone, long time no "talk". I have a question about pesticide. I found some wood eating insects in my house (not some actually, hundreds of them) last week and so I called a exterminator to come over and spray my room with Alpha-Cypermethrin 50g/L SC insecticide. They said it is safe for my cats as long as I let my room air out for about 3 hours and mop the floor thoroughly. It's been four days now (I moved out from home to prevent my cats sneaking back into the room) and am wondering if it's ok to move back. I called a few vets here in HK and some of them said it's ok and some said not sure. What should I do??? Also I left some unopened canned food in one of the drawers (close during spraying), is it still safe to use these? One of the vet said as long as they are not open and I wash the cans with dilute bleach, then it's alright. So worried now.... :confused:

Freyja
August 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Good question!!! Sorry not to have an answer. I was wondering the same thing. There have been signs in the parks lately about pesticide spraying and I wondered how long you have to keep your dog out (don't think the cats go to the dog parks ;) ). I also saw a sign that they had treated for gophers :sad: , that can't be good for dogs at all, but for how long?? I may try to find the info on the City of Calgary website.

Luba
August 6th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Pesticide residue can stay active for months sometimes years.

Find out the specific 'type' of pesticide/s used and do a google search on them to find out more information.

Don't use bleach, it's just as toxic, wash your floors with a water and vinegar solution *unless they are hardwood. Then rinse with warm water.

I would point a fan 'out' the window and would also wear a mask and wash down the walls as well.

Pesticides, oh how they kill (seriously) be cautious. :D

Oh and wash the can's down before opening them.

vcheng79
August 6th, 2005, 12:53 AM
What about Dettal? Is that better than bleach? I am going to do all that but am wondering about cleaning the walls with water. There are also white ant problems in the building and my apartment did have white ants before (in fact the nest was under my hardwood floor). It's the residue I am worried about too. I asked the Pest control company for a detail description of what they used in my apartment and they gave me a 13 pages (for God's sake) description. I tried to look up the ingredients on the papers but still not sure. One of the ingrediets is used in pesticides for cat fleas, but one of them seems really serious. It's something called propylene glycol. Anyone good at chemistry or work around chemicals can tell me what this is??? It sounds scary from the websites I found. :confused:

Luba
August 6th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Try an environmentally friendly website for info you're bound to get 'better' info there.

I dont' know about that product, I use no chemicals myself in my home, only natural things from health food and organic stores.

Flea remedies ARE pesticides and just as harmful