Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog ate plastic

ginger1
August 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM
My 12 year old cocker spaniel has started to eat plastic bags .About 5 days ago she chewed through a bag full of pop bottles and ingested a lot of the bag. After giving her pumpkin and her throwing up a lot she has been okay.
But today she ate another bag and now is eating grass, rocks and anything else she can find. I can't get her to a vet tonight, anyone have any suggestions to get through the night. I think she is just trying to make herself sick to feel better.

White Wolf
August 6th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Has she had a BM? Usually the blockage ends up further down, thus blocking the ability to poop.

StaceyB
August 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM
This is very common for puppies but quite out of character for 12 yr olds. I would guess that something is wrong, get her checked.
Sorry I couldn't help.

ginger1
August 6th, 2005, 12:47 AM
She has had a bowel movement earlier today but not since she ate the plastic.
Is there something that is safe to give a dog to make them vomit?

White Wolf
August 6th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Vomiting won't help if it's already in the intestines. The only thing that will help is a visit to the vet ER.

Karin
August 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Why does your dog have access to these objects in the first place? Common sense tells me to remove anything the dog is not suppose to have far out of it's reach so this behavior is not repeated. Kinda like child proofing your house.

SnowDancer
August 6th, 2005, 09:06 AM
White Wolf is right, please go to the vet. We went to the Emergency a few years ago when I found a long thread hanging from my mini Dachshund's mouth - and it wasn't stuck to his teeth - they pulled the vet from another consultation immediately. They gave us something to help encourage bowel movements and we were to watch for the thread to come out - but if he started vomiting they would have most likely required surgery. Since I was working at the time, we left him at our vet's during the day and picked him up each day to monitor his condition. It took 3 days for the thread to pass. He had been cleaning his toe nails - and he always liked to balance his paws on something soft - usually me, but since I wasn't home, he used a quilt like blanket and the wide thread used to hold it together was the culprit. I worry now about my Eskimo who is a serious "Hoover" - and with people today littering everywhere - chicken bones, hamburgers wrapped in foil, bottle caps, you name it - and my personal favourite - used tissues - it is hard. I have baby-proofed the house as much as possible but he does have a reach with those long legs. Unless your dog has passed it by now I would not hesitate to get to the vet. Shredded plastic bags could easily wrap around the intestines. Also an surprised that your dog has started to chew the bags at age 12. I did have one dog that was a serious chewer his entire life but this does not seem to be the case with your dog - would check with vet.

Angerona
August 8th, 2005, 04:58 AM
I would check into Pancitis my cat ate plastic stuff due to this I would get it checked out right away its best to catch it early :)
:grouphug: :ca: