Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medication for dog with cancer

FredsMom
August 5th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Hi:

I need some advise concerning medication for our 7+ year old golden.

On June 8, 2005, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. He was prescribed Metacam at that time. He is able to get around fairly well and shows short outbursts of energy i.e., whenever the neighbour's dog comes around. The next drug up the ladder that the vet has recommended is piroxicam.

What is the difference in strength between the two drugs? Does anyone have suggestions? We want to keep our dog as comfortable as possible as he has been a wonderful companion.

Thanks

LL1
August 5th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Im so sorry about your dog.I have not used piroxicam,are you getting chemo for your dog?I know it is used as a prescription drug for people as well.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_piroxicam.html

FredsMom
August 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Reply to LL1

The options that we were given was to 1) amputate the leg or 2) keep the dog comfortable as long as possible. If the leg was amputated then chemo would be given but not otherwise. The price quoted for the amputation and chemo was approximately $3500.00 with the best results of 1 to 1.5 years of life. We elected not to amputate as he is a large dog and he is very proud of his stature . It seems from the article that you referred to that the drug piroxicam would be useless for our dog's condition.

Thanks for your concern and suggestion.

CyberKitten
August 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Most pets do very well with only 3 legs - and psychologically, it is not likely to bother him. Unlike people, they do not care what they look like. (even tho we ascribe those anthroopomorphic qualities to them on occasion).

Metacam has fewer side effects so that might be a consideration for you. Piroxicam, like its human "counterpart" feldene is really bad on the digestive system. Has your vet suggested your pooch take tagament so help with the stomach issues? Feldene er Pirocxicam is a stronger NSAID and harsher on the stomach.

I treat cancer in tiny babies and children and tend to stay away from NSAIDs for children that young and actually titrated narcotics work well for them - very low doses as you can imagine!! In fact, I do research in pain management in children - pediatric pain is a new resrach area amazingly enough! And there is more info being discovered all the time in dogs as well. So I wonder if you have asked your vet about other alternatives with fewer side effects. Obviously, dogs tolerate narcotics differently than humans - but there are a wide variety of meds for your vet to consider.

Here is an interesting web site on the subject:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/pain.htm

Good luck!! I hope your dog does well!!

LL1
August 5th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Im so sorry.I personally would not give chemo to one of my dogs and I respect your decision either way.I have had a dog with an amputated limb before,and it is hard,but they do bouce back,but I totally respect your decision and am glad I am not the one that had to make it.Im sorry.

I have used Metacam with my own dogs and my rescues with great success,I hope it continues to work for you.Ive never used the other drug so I cant give any advice on that.Good luck with your baby and my thoughts are with you.

Reply to LL1

The options that we were given was to 1) amputate the leg or 2) keep the dog comfortable as long as possible. If the leg was amputated then chemo would be given but not otherwise. The price quoted for the amputation and chemo was approximately $3500.00 with the best results of 1 to 1.5 years of life. We elected not to amputate as he is a large dog and he is very proud of his stature . It seems from the article that you referred to that the drug piroxicam would be useless for our dog's condition.

Thanks for your concern and suggestion.

Karin
August 5th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I would vote no on amputation, the Sx & recovery would be very stressful for the dog. If the Metacam fails to give him relief I would go the next step and use narcotics to ease his pain. I'm sure you vet will give you an Rx.

I feel for you and your family. Everyday is a gift.

Luba
August 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I'm sorry I can't give much info on either meds for long term use, as I just don't know.

You would be wise to consult a naturopathic vet/holistic vet in your area.

You are in Ontario but if you're near Toronto, East York Animal Clinic on OConnor drive is wonderful, if you're not near them perhaps a phone call to them will direct you to someone closer.

www.holisticpetvet.com

You will want to boost your dogs immunity to fight this naturally as much as possible.

I do wish you all the best.. and your lovely doggie as well. Any chance we can see a picture of your baby?

SnowDancer
August 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I am very sorry this has happened. I also would not proceed with the amputation and chemo with the prognosis of 1.5 years of life. If your dog could live several years after amputation and chemo then I would most likely favour that option. I know what it is like to live with the uncertainty of how much time you will have left with your pup but also that you will make every minute count - lots of spoiling. I had 10 months to the day of surgery and I would not give up a minute of the time we had together.

The Holistic vet that Luba mentioned is 5 minutes from my house - although I have never been in the clinic, I have heard other people speak highly of it. For me, after going to same vet for 25 years, not the time to change.

FredsMom
August 6th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I wish to thank everyone for their kind words and advice.

We do not live in the GTA, so taking Fred to the East York Animal Clinic is not an option, however, I may telephone for diet suggestions.

Your advice concerning piroxicam was most helpful (our vet did say that we would have to administer a dose of sulcrate an hour before the piroxicam). We will ask the vet about another medication/narcotic whenever the Metacam is no longer effective.