Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Traumatized shizu????

DeannaL
August 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM
My sister has a 1 1/2 year old Shih tzu that she shaved to keep cooler in these hot summer months (she is an inside dog). Every since she shaved her she has noticed a difference in behavior. For example, she acts skiddish, withdrawn, goes up under table and sits and stares, then when she comes out she will go grab a piece of food and go right back under the table. She seems to be favoring her backside like something is wrong. She doesn't walk very far before sitting down really fast. Could this be something psychological from being shaved or do you think it is a medical problem?
It really has us worried.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

StaceyB
August 5th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I would be asking what happened at the groomers.

Jackie467
August 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I would say have all possible physical problems checked before going any further. It is possible that the dog could have something wrong with it physically that could be fixed easily but if you wait too long it may become more difficult to fix. Once the dog is taken to the vet to rule out any physical problems we'll be able to help more.

I hope she gets back to normal, if it isn't a physical problem it could be that the dog is just scarred that it is going to be taken back and put through being shaved again.

DeannaL
August 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM
My sister shaved her, herself as she has always done for the last year and a half. Nothing different happened other than this is the shortest her hair has ever been. She was not hurt in any way or anything like that.
Just wondered if maybe she feels funny without the hair or possibly something medical going on that just happened to start around the same time. :rolleyes:

StaceyB
August 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I would guess that being shaved and her present behaviour are not linked. I would also have her checked out by a vet. Does she seem to be in any pain. Check her out to see if there are any areas of her body that are tender. Also, have there been any visitors to the home at the time this started.

DeannaL
August 5th, 2005, 07:30 PM
She doesn't seem to be tender anywhere or in any pain. Have had family over but not sure if this started before or after they were here. But, the same people have been here again and she went right to them.
I will have her checked out by my vet.
Thanks for all the advice. :)
And I will still be checking for any more input, as my vet will not be in again until Monday. :sad:

Prin
August 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I would go to the vet. The timing might just be a coincidence.

Jackie467
August 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
She seems to be favoring her backside like something is wrong. She doesn't walk very far before sitting down really fast.
Defenately try the vet. It sounds like she is in some kind of pain. As long as she doesn't seem to be showing any other signs it should be safe to wait till monday. But she may have an anal glad problem. has she been scooting on the floor at all? or licking her behind a lot?

StaceyB
August 5th, 2005, 07:57 PM
When your sister was shaving her she may have irritated a sensitive area that had been hidden but with all the stretching it may now be sore.

DeannaL
August 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM
No, she's not scooting. I have a chihuahua myself that has anal gland problems and she doesn't act like it's anal glands.
They(my sister & her hubby) have examined her from head to toe and there doesn't seem to be any sore places on her.

DeannaL
August 5th, 2005, 08:23 PM
My sister also said the dog seems to be walking a little sideways tonight, so I am really getting scared for her now. Says she starts off like one side is sticking out and then straightens back up after a minute of standing or walking. But, when she presses on the dog any and everywhere , she doesn't act like anything hurts and is even playing.

Jackie467
August 5th, 2005, 08:45 PM
a lot of times dogs mask pain very well. My dog ripped her dew claw off and by the way she was acting if you hadn't seen the blood you would have never known. If she seems to be having trouble walking and it seems to be getting worst I think an emergency vet visit might be needed. it doesn't sound like something that should wait for monday. She could have anything from a pinched nerve to a tumor, there is no way to know with out a vet visit.

DeannaL
August 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks so much. I was thinking the same thing.

vcheng79
August 5th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Same thing happened to my dog! My mom requested the saloon to shave my dog's hair as short as possible because Hong Kong is really hot and humid during summer. After the shave, my dog hid under the table all day and wouldn't come out. Usually she barks like crazy when our maid comes out of the kitchen. She's always been bossy around our maid but after the shave, she would just hide and nothing else. It took her 2 days to become herself again (I have to admit that her normal self is sometimes like a bitch :p ). Maybe your dog is ashamed of her short hair too??? Just a guess... :D

DeannaL
August 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to give an update. The vet said that he believes it was anal glands, because they were full. He said the dog should feel better by this afternoon. The dog was never scooting though, so that is a new one on me.
My dogs always start scooting and that's how I know there is a problem.
Anybody else have dogs with anal gland problems that don't scoot?
Would love to hear about the different symptoms others have dealt with other than the scooting, so that we may all be aware in case something like this happens to someone else that is looking for info.
Also, thanks for all the advice last night. Will post again if it does turn out to be something else other than anal glands. :grouphug:

Jackie467
August 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hopefully that is all it was. Something easy to fix. I hope she gets to feeling better. Thanks so much for comming back with an update.

My grandmothers guide dog (golden retriever) used to have problems with her anal glands but she didn't scoot. She would just become upset if anyone petted her butt and she would start to kind of walk funny.