Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Luxating Patella?

Writing4Fun
August 5th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Hi all. Phoebe had her annual vet check-up/booster shots on Wednesday. I mentioned some concerns about one of her hind legs. She will occasionally - like, once a month or so - suddenly kick it out while walking along normally, as if she's trying to dislodge something from her pad. She doesn't limp, walks & runs along normally afterwards, it's just a one-time kick. I also mentioned that she will occasionally limp after having had a nap on the cold ceramic tile (instead of in her nice, cushy bed which is only inches away - silly girl!). The vet checked out her rear leg and said that her patella was ever so slightly lux. Meaning it popped out if pushed, but not easily, and didn't seem to cause her any pain. I asked about activity, such as agility, and the vet said it shouldn't be a problem, only that it might cause her to develop arthritis in that leg when she's older. :(

I got to thinking about it once I got home. Phoebe now weighs 39lbs - and the vet said she could afford to loose a smidge, so maybe she should be 35-37 to be ideal. We originally thought she was going to be closer to the 50lbs mark when full grown, so we had her on large-breed formula when she was a pup - we put her on normal adult food when she was about 10 months old.

Do you think having her on the LB puppy formula when she is not, in fact, a large breed dog, could have caused the patella to lux?? Could it have happened because she was exercising too strenuously when she was a pup (eg. wrestling with my sister's dog)? Or would this be a genetic issue? :confused:

BMDLuver
August 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Luxating Patellas are genetic. As it's not regularly out of joint and she is not experiencing any difficulties, our vet recommends leaving it alone until there is a problem if ever. Usually it's arthritis in later years but most dogs become arthritic either way. Did that help? :o

Beaglemom
August 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Like BMDLuver said, luxating patellas are genetic. It is very common in the toy breeds, but larger breeds to get it as well. I agree that if it isn't bothering her much to leave it alone. It could cause arthritis, but even with surgery, there is no guarantee that arthritis won't develop. It is very important that dogs with knee problems and hip problems not get overweight. The extra weight, even a couple of pounds can aggravate the problem and bring on the arthritis sooner.

SnowDancer
August 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
My understanding - as of yesterday - is the same as that of BMDLuver and Beaglemom. My dog does not have luxating patella - at least not as yet - but I asked when at the vet if it fell into the same category as hip dysplasia. I was told it is a separate condition, which I was glad to hear.

LL1
August 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Its genetic but can also be caused by trauma,and effects larger dogs too.Here is a good article

http://www.workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm