Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

American Bulldog - Coquitlam

Dog Dancer
August 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Don't know if this is the place to go with this, but my boss recently adopted a beautiful female American Bulldog through the SPCA and returned her when it became evident (3 days later) that the dog had severe dysplasia in her hind hips and front elbows. He discovered this after having her Xrayed by his vet. Unfortunately with her disabilities she would not fit into their family as he has three very active boys. So long story short, she was sent back to the SPCA and is currently listed as Cricket at the Coquiltam SPCA - but is in foster care dealing with general training and separation anxiety (she has apparently been through a few homes in two years of life). It would be great if there was a rescue group for American Bulldogs in the area who could search her out and find her a forever home. My heart breaks for this dog. So just hoping by putting this here maybe someone will help her along. Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
August 5th, 2005, 04:41 PM
That's probably the reason this poor girl was dumped in the first place and now has been abandoned again, since no one is willing or able to make her part of the family and have this taken care of.

There are options, like Care Credit and IMOM, that could make it financially feasible.

It's not likely anyone is willing to adopt a large breed dog with severe displaysia, and rescue groups certainly cannot afford the surgeries.:(

Yet another example of the suffering caused by greedy and ignorant backyard breeders.

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Aw that's so sad!! I hope this doggy beats the odds. :fingerscr

BMDLuver
August 6th, 2005, 07:09 AM
If the dog was adopted by an SPCA that is on petfinder, then 24 hour petcare is automatic for 30 days. Should look into it as I received something in the mail yesterday about it and indicated that they had paid $6000 on a hip dysplasia claim. I am calling on Monday to find out how it works as a Leonberger I had in rescue has confirmed dysplasia and some of the costs may be absorbed by the 30 day policy.

Dog Dancer
August 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Yes it's a shame for this girl. At least she's in a foster home right now and not in a cage at the SPCA. I hope some rescue group finds her. I do know they have her listed on Petfinder - hopefully that will help with the medical, I was not aware of that. Would they actually do like a hip replacement or something like that even though it was pre-existing?? Would be good to know if it was mentioned to any prospective adopters. Sadly she's likely the product of some crappy BYB who didn't give a damn, but she's fixed now and won't pass on this nasty problem to any puppies. Argh.