Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black Lab with unknown illness..can anyone help?

GarLilThump
August 5th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone,
we have a black lab (female) that was a rescue (owner died) and we're not sure how old she is. She's overweight and does not like to exercise or even walk. Recently she's been having anal leakage and hair loss (huge patches). She is constantly panting, itching at her back end and has lost her appetite.
My husband plans to take her to the vet this week, but I thought maybe someone might have an idea of what we're in for.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone,

Freyja
August 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a parasitical infection to me. Also sounds like a vet needs to see the dog too though.
Good luck

Luba
August 5th, 2005, 11:49 AM
When is the vets appt? I wouldn't wait much sounds like your dog is very very uncomfortable. The sooner yu find out the best chance at treatment.

This could be anything really, panting is a sign usually of dogs in a lot of pain.

justncase
August 7th, 2005, 02:47 AM
The panting could be because your dog is overweight or it could be the start of heart disease ( it could even be the heat).Something similar happened to another dog. It turned out he was allergic to the white bread he was fed every morning as toast. His owner stopped giivng him white bread and started giving him healthy things like brewers' yeast, cottage cheese, vitamin E and some safflower oil in his diet. Your dog may be allergic to something you're feeding him too.