Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi everyone - I could use some advice!

Eeyore
August 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
:ca: Hello! I am new to this site, and also a fairly new owner (6 weeks) of an 8-month old Black Lab/Border Collie female and an old (literally and figuratively :cool: ) old owner of a 5 year old tabby cat female.

Lovin' them both....Misty (dog) is a real sweetie, listens well, easy to train (still having leash issues, but it will pass :pawprint: ). The problem is Jessie, the cat, very independent and usually passive-agressive, is absolutely terrified of the pup - we have to go to her hiding place, bring her food and water, and if she even thinks she hears the pup, she disappears again. The dog stays on command, we don't let her chase the cat, but on occasion she has managed to just bound up to her.

Any ideas on how to help the cat - or will it just come in time???

Have a good day!

Beaglemom
August 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the board! My beagle's name is Misty!

Anyway, back to your kitty problems. It will take a little while for your cat to adjust to a new furbaby, especially if she isn't used to a dog or have never been around them before.

Always make sure that Jessie has a safe place to run to and get away from Misty when she finds it too much for her. Eventually they will learn to live together. Either they will become good friends or Jessie will learn to get used to a dog being in the house and they will ignore eachother.

I'm sure someone else will come along with great advice for you.

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I have a suggestion but not sure it will work out!

Maybe put some wet cat food on the puppy's back and let kitty lick the food off puppy while you hold the pup on your lap on the sofa???

Bearsmom
August 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM
When we brought Bear home, the cat and he had several loooong discussions over who was going to be the boss. Needless to say, the cat still rules the roost.