Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diabetic/Geriatric Cat

KathyB
August 4th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I posted a message in the other forum and didn't get any responses so I am hoping someone here can help. My 17 year old female cat Cleo was diagnosed with diabetes approx. 3 weeks ago. She was very sick when we took her in and she was put in intensive care on fluids for 4 days. It was suggested we put her on insulin, but she absolutely hates needles and at her advanced age, we quite frankly didn't want to put her through the trauma. It was suggested by our Dr. Tracey to put her on 1/4 tablet (.625 mg) of glyburide per day and start her on Purina Diabetic Management food. She was also put on 50 mg amoxicillian as she had a bladder infection. She initially did very well on all counts, but when her amox was finished after 2 weeks she began slipping. She began to look very ill and her glucose was way, way up. Dr. Tracey put her back on amox a couple of days ago. She began to dislike the food so she was hardly eating at all. She is now on Hill's WD and we supplement it with tuna packed in water - and she loves it - eating like crazy. Anyway, I have found very little information on cats that are on oral diabetic meds and conflicting info on diet - old school seems to say high fibre, now they say high protein. She lost a fair amount of weight in the beginning so we are feeding her 3 - 4 smaller meals a day. Any info or thoughts on meds, food and general care would be appreciated. She is also scheduled for a fructosemine test in about 7 to 10 days. Dr. Tracey wanted her to be on glyburide for at least a month. Any other thoughts.....

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry you've had no response as of yet to your other thread. I don't know about animal diabetes but I do know very well about human diabetes. Insulin is far more rapid reacting than any pill form. This being said, with proper diet management and exercise, pills can be very beneficial. As the cat is 17, it may not get the exercise required to work with the pills effectively. The pills in humans take a minimum of one month to see results thus the waiting period for your cat I would presume. I wonder if you took a look at the Canadian Food Guide for Diabetics if it might help you to choose for your cat? Just a suggestion. I think it's great you are taking such wonderful care of your aging friend. :thumbs up