Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good News! I PASSED Organic Chem 2!!!

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Yey me! I didn't exactly pass with flying colors or anything, but I am so happy I passed. It's the best 65 I have ever gotten. Let's eat!
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif

I would like to thank the little people who made this possible-- just kidding- I'd really like to thank Mel for validating my frustration by telling me that, yes, they do make it up as they go along. :D And thanks to all those of you who wished me luck- IT WORKED! :)

Sorry if this is a trivial thread to any of you, but if you take organic 2, you'll understand.

Let the summer BEGIN!
http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/6.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/undersun/6.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/water/10.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/13.gif (I brought beer for you all, but I'll have the water)http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/2.gif

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Lol, Kudos Prin! Now you can kick back n relax for a bit!

Rita
August 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif
Congrats Prin!!!
Cheers to you ...
http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/8.gif

Beaglemom
August 4th, 2005, 08:01 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/5.gif

dave
August 4th, 2005, 08:16 AM
That is great news Prin, Congrats! :crazy:

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM
:highfive: :highfive: across the room.

Way to go Prin.

Party time.... :party: :party: :party: :

:D

Schwinn
August 4th, 2005, 08:39 AM
It's not that I don't take Organic 2, and it isn't that I don't understand (because trust me, I do!), but I definitely don't understand Organic 2!!

Anyway, congratulations! Allow me to do a mini-wave in celebration of you!

Puppyluv
August 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Congrats Prin! Now if I'm correct, in Org 2 you make aspirin and tylenol in lab... now you can take those for your headache :p

pags
August 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Great news, indeed Prin!!! I'm really proud of you!!! :party: :party:

kandy
August 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM
WooHoo! I'm so glad you passed your class! Also love everyone's smilies!

MollysMommy
August 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Oh Prin, I know how you feel. I about had a heart attack when I realized I passed Calc 3 last year! Congrats!

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Oh I passed cal 3 about 5 years ago, and my prof said "I'll pass you as long as you never take cal again!" :D

Thanks you all for your cheers. (Keep it down, my brother is over and he'll think I'm being attacked... :D ) Thanks. :)

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Great news Prin congrazzies to you!!!

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 01:44 PM
:thumbs up Congrats Prin!! Way to go!! (my bf tells me I must be nuts because I actually liked organic chem, hehheh) I am not sure I like what it says about my personality <snicker> I was none too thrilled with analytical chem tho!

Copper'sMom
August 4th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Congrats Prin!!! :highfive: :D

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks! I'm still bragging to everybody I see... Even though a lot of them wonder what there is to brag about in getting a 65... :D :cool:

Blaze01
August 4th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Great work!

Jackie467
August 4th, 2005, 03:04 PM
congrats. I hated organic chem, but guess what for my major I'm going to have to take a ton of chem. of course blah :yuck: I'm going to be studing my butt off.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM
What's your major?

melanie
August 4th, 2005, 04:53 PM
see i knew you oculd do it, if they can make us the crap you surely have the brain to make up the answers, look really anyone that can pass university level chemistry is pretty smart, me included :angel:

65 brag brag brag and if ppl cnat see the amazing value in even jsut passing their WAN#$S and a bit up em selves anyway :D hey considering how you were last week 65 is just brilliant and actually pushing a credit in aussie standards (67 for full credit when i mark em), not jsut pass so stuff em, hey i would love to see most ppl even try and understand the first page of that exam, ha they would think its all gobbledy goop..... and im a pass person, never really a credit average and there aint no shame in that, a pass is a pass is a pass, they dont call it a pass because your crap, thats called fail and a passi s the whole point of the excersise essentially, boy some ppl have high standards, and the HD students never get jobs anyway, their too nerdy and have few social skills in general, so off you go.....

i onyl passed though because they were sick of me, during my last practicle exam i spilt my formula all over the bench, the marker jsut looked at me shocked and then turned their back, i whipped of my lab coat and preceeded to wipe up the spill with it, when the marker turned around i had cleaned it up and they pretended it never happened :D they were really sick of me :highfive:

now missy dump dump dump all the information, you dont need it, you only needed it to get through the exam, if you need to know that crap again just look it up, keep your text dump your brain i say, its the only way to have a good summer really.......

so my advice to all students, rote learn everything, and once you pass dump the lot, your brain needs the extra space :D

yes i will have beer, but if i get kinda silly you jsut remember who brought the beer righto :D

now get goin on a top summer, party hard and remember to do everything you know i would, it will be lots of fun (oh if you ahd the cash you could come here and i would show you how those on the other side party hard, ahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa) my sister in law says i party like a banshee, i become a wild goose on the loose and just wanna dance, i will dance for you today...

its a lucky world to have you prin :D :grouphug:

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks, Mel LOL If I had the money I'd be there in a flash. Well, no, not really, more like in a 24 hour plane ride... :D

That is what is stupid about university. I really don't need this class other than to graduate. I needed it as a pre-req for Biochem, but I did biochem at the same as organic the first time, and I passed biochem- so I didn't need it anymore. But it's a requirement for my diploma- up until this year- they just removed it. :D Lucky newbies.

I flame in the labs though- I ace them completely. It's the memorization and theoretical stuff that is really crappy for me. If it was 90% lab and 10% theory, I'd have gotten an A the first time. :rolleyes:

I'm on a super budget here, eh? So only one beer each. Ok maybe two. (heh heh crappy hostess, eh?)

shannon1233A
August 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GO GIRL

:party: :party:

Edited to add: Can you tell I'm excited and happy for you :)

melanie
August 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
now put that beer away, save the money i have a secret :D hubby has gone to work andi know that he has a shed full of home brewed beer, its nice stuff, and since hes not around we will jsut get stuck into that ok, he wont know the difference :D and i could not care if he did, thats how it works round here, lol..... i always get my way (god im selfcentred, how many times have i said that this week :D ). (and if you look hard enough i am sure he has good chocolate hidden here somewhere, he always hides it from me as he says im outta control around chocolate and leave him none, oh boo hoo for him, if i find it h e will be stuffed, hah hahahahahah) :D

university systems are jsut stupid, so many things are done backwards... get this now in 6yrs at uni i haven ever had my enrolement done properly once, i have always had to chase it up and such, well i ahve not been enroled for a semester now, and what do you know, i finally got a correct invoice for my fees, i rang them and laughed my arse of actually, so did they :D

i hated labs, our marks were 50/50 in prac and theory, it sucked... im so clumsy and get really fluster when being watched under pressure, luckily the markers were often mates so that helped i always spill things guaranteed, its jsut my style really :D

so christ dont come near me when ive got chemicles, i generally gett hem in my eyes, so be aware here, i once put lotso f chemiclesin my eyes andh ad to get an ambulance, how embarassing :angel: embarassing is my middle name

hey i jsut dnaced for you prin, i hope it sends you great happy finalised vibes, i danced hard to 'Regergetators; song ;i like your old stuff better than yoru new stuff' very cool aussie song......

yay have a fun day, take it easy and try and watch some day time television, that always makes me feel as if im truly on holiday :grouphug:

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
What? I didn't hear you Shannon. LOL
http://bestsmileys.com/sports1/25.gif (this is the wave I got from Schwinn...)

Mel, did you say Chocolate? You did? YEY Mel's bringing chocolate! (You can keep the beer for yourself... Party on. :party: )

And yes, the TV is ON: http://bestsmileys.com/lazy/1.gif

melanie
August 4th, 2005, 05:40 PM
not a worry mate, i will givey ou the chocolate from hubbys stash and i will consume all the beers, oh yeah i can deal with that, but lets dragthe tv outside and the couch, i bet its sunny and nice there, mmmmm....

now get restin and holidayin miss, dont waste a miunute of ME TIME :D

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 05:42 PM
OMG really? You bring the couch and the tv outside? That must be heaven! I never thought ever of doing that.

melanie
August 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM
prin my love, i am the queen of the comfort zone, i take my comforts anywhere that pleases my desires :D :highfive:

of course i have take nthe lounge room outside, its great and a good way to watch soaps while getting a tan :D

and if something is happening in my street guaranteed im the one out there watchin on a comfy chair :D

Jackie467
August 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
What's your major?
I going to school to become a MT or medical technologist or sometimes called clinical laboratory technologist.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Congrats Prin,

I know chem is hard I have no clue when it comes to that kind of stuff and failed miserably in high school chem and biology. My highscool biology teacher used to say "Life is biloogy and biology is life if you fail biology you fail life" I have to live with the fact now that I have failed life. I think organic chem is sort of like biology, as I failed it i will probably never really know.

But you passed and now you have passed life. Be very proud. :crazy: :party:

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Organic chemistry has nothing to do with life. I mean the reactions may be involved in organisms, but not knowing them won't make a difference in anything. Biology, well, you just need the basics to get a better understanding of life. Other than that, it's just hypotheses. :D

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Organic chemistry has nothing to do with life. I mean the reactions may be involved in organisms, but not knowing them won't make a difference in anything. Biology, well, you just need the basics to get a better understanding of life. Other than that, it's just hypotheses. :D
Don't tell my Org I prof that, he peppered every class with how pertinant organic chemistry was, and how we should all want to be organic chemists :yuck:

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Who was it? Dr Joe? LOL Certainly not the ConU one- he drives you far away from wanting to be a chemist... :D

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM
nooo I had Dr Joe for Org II. I had this French guy who was teachign his first class ever, and thought that to be a good prof, you have to convert every student to an org chem major

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Ah. I don't know who that is. The ConU one was a french guy too, but he's been doing it for years (with over a 30% failure rate...).

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
what org class doesn't have a 30% failure rate?!?!?!
ohh my I can't wait until my MCATs are over and I won't have to think about org chem for another 3 years

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM
MCATs eh? Are you gonna be a dr? Oooh Be a vet!! If I can't get in, somebody should!

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM
eh keeping otions open, i'd love to be a vet, but i think it might break my heart. But we will see.. we will see...

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Nah, you get used to it and learn to detach just the right amount. I would be turned off of being a Dr because humans are so gross...

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM
ha ha thats why i could be one! i wouldnt become as attached to the gross people!!! :D
and as you can see, I'm being REALLY productive studying right now :rolleyes:

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 10:57 PM
LOL the days I'm here most are days before exams. I call it "the Procrastination Station"...

I thought about doing the MCATs just to see what I got, but I'm not ambitious enough...

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM
i just don't think its worth paying for if you dont actually want to do something with it... 200 USD is a lot to write a crummy exam that takes up 10 hours from a saturday, and 6 months from your life

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:03 PM
LOL I've paid what, at least $12 000 for university so far? $200 US in comparison is chump change. ;)

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Oh, no! There's a Physics section? Crap. No way I'll score well on that.

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:17 PM
ha ha ohh yes... the well rounded exam... org chem, bio, physiology, bio chem, gen chem, physics, verbal reasoning, writing sample..... oh it's just a dream!!!

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:19 PM
The rest I can manage but physics? I hate physics and I suck at it. If by chance there happens to be more physics on the test the year I take it, I'll bomb.

But why do you have to study so long for it?

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:27 PM
oh you don't have to, it's just easier to do it slowly... a lot of the stuff is ingrained, especially in the verbal reasoning and writing samples, so it's hard to cram.
Unfortunately there are always abiut 40 physics questions, but you can get way more wrong and still get a good scaled score, compared to other sections

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:28 PM
So it's weighted differently?

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
yeah.. it's really odd....
there are three MC sections:
1) Physical Sciences (physics+gen chem): 77 questions--> scaled to a score out of 15
2) Verbal Reasoning: 60 questions--> scaled to a score out of 15
3) Biological sciences (Bio+Org Chem): 77 questions-->scaled to a mark out of 15
and then 2 writing samples each scored a letter between j and T.
But each of these sections are scaled differently, for example, to get a 12/15 in phys sci, you have to get 54-58/77 but to het a 12/15 in bio sci you have to get 63-66/77..... its all soooo confusing :confused:

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:45 PM
What do you mean by t and j?

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
well you write your two essays, and then each essay is marked twice on a number scale of 1-6 So then they add the 4 marks together and then they use some sort of complicated formula to convert this to a letter grade : J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T where J is the worst mark and T is the best
it's waaayyy too complicated for its own good

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:52 PM
LOL Do they take off marks if you get the multiple choice wrong?

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:53 PM
no thank god! there's no punishment for wrong answers, so there's no harm in guessing :p

Prin
August 6th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Yey. I'm good at guessing multiple choice. It's actually kind of funny. I have a gift. ;) Don't tell anybody though.

When are you taking it?

Puppyluv
August 6th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Lucky! Can i borrow it?
August 20th! ALLLLLLLL day :yuck:

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Aw I really wish I could lend it to you. If who wants to be a millionaire wasn't so boring a show to watch, I'd watch and test to see how many I could get right. The only thing is, the person who reads it has to know the answer, or I have to be able to read it for myself. I figure I'm about 80% right.

I only really found out because I asked my teacher about a question in advanced genetics (it was worded really weird), and she ended up just reading it to me. Normal people wouldn't have been helped by it, but from her voice, I figured out the answer. It almost made me laugh out loud.

It's easier if someone who knows the answer reads it to me, but I can still do it by reading too. Last semester, I answered 2 questions with certainty in Cell Physiology, and the rest were flat out guesses. I ended up with a B+... Not too bad. ;)

Puppyluv
August 7th, 2005, 12:05 AM
:eek: <-- me, steeping in envy!!!

Prin
August 7th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I think it started because my man would come home after a night out and I would ask him how many beers he had and his answer just never felt right. So I made him go through all the numbers in full sentences, slowly. "I had 1 beer." "I had two beers." and so on, until he said the right one.

I suggest any of you who have teenagers try it.
"Did you smoke?" "No mom I didn't," and then you make them say all the alternatives. "I had no cigarettes." "I had one cigarette." "I had two cigarettes." and see which is the most believable. Try it. But they have to answer slowly. Saying each answer fully with pauses in between. ;) Oh and if you're suspicious about one or two, you can make them repeat as often as needed. They are able to hide less and less the more they repeat... :evil: