Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you take for a headache?

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I'm wondering. Ever since my concussion, I have had migraines (pretty often at first, maybe 4 a week, but now maybe one a month), and the only thing that works and works well for me is Tylenol. It's not very good for the body, so I was wondering how you all felt and what you use for headaches.

(yes, another poll by the principessa... :rolleyes: )

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Italiano?

The only thing that works for me and trust me I get some doooooozers
I see a chiropractic neurologist. No pain meds work at ALL!

Best to get to the root of the problem and work on therapy to resolve it.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 01:07 AM
I added a poll (actually I was creating it as you were answering-- TOO QUICK for me!)

No, not italiano. Principessa just sounds better sometimes. :o

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I use Advil Extra Strength Migraine Liqui Gel. I have had migraines my whole life, run the gammet on meds for them and this is the first over the counter that has worked for me. If I feel the start of the headache coming on, I take two and I don't end up with a full blown one. :D

StaceyB
August 4th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Never had a migraine but my husband used to get them often many years ago now. I thought that his body may have been missing something so I had him take a multi vitamin. It worked, he has never had another, just reg headaches. We use the advil gels.

jessi76
August 4th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I prefer BC Powder which I then chase with pepsi. It works FAST.

chico2
August 4th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I can sympathise with anyone getting migrains :sad: I get the odd headache,not very often,I take a regular oldfashioned Aspirin and it's gone in minutes.

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I prefer BC Powder which I then chase with pepsi. It works FAST.
What's BC Powder?

jessi76
August 4th, 2005, 08:35 AM
What's BC Powder?

http://www.bcpowder.com/default.aspx

It's crushed up asprin basically, but since it's already crushed, you don't have to wait for it to dissolve, works very fast. Tastes like crap though, hence the pepsi chaser.

BMDLuver
August 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM
ahhh, thanks very much. Aspirin doesn't agree with my system. I thought maybe is was a holistic approach I could try. :)

Bearsmom
August 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Advil Liqui Gels....swear by them.

pags
August 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM
For the odd tension headache.. good ol' fashioned uhm.. physical activity.. works every time!! But I have to resort to Motrin now and then. Tylenol just doesn't work for me and it tends to make me feel queasy as well....

Blaze01
August 4th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Advil Liqui Gels....swear by them.

Best pain med ever!

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I use Advil Extra Strength Migraine Liqui Gel

Got them, tried them and they don't work for me so I don't take them any longer HOWEVER they Do work wonders for cramps!

kandy
August 4th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I use the generic version of aleve (naproxen sodium). Although I don't get headaches very often (at least not since I got promoted :p ) I do take them to keep the inflammation down in my wrists for my carpal tunnel. I take them everyday and maybe that's why I don't get headaches anymore - they never have a chance to start since I'm already drugged! :D Actually, if I had to take them for some kind of pain, I would have to take about 4 at a time since painkillers don't work well on me. It's a good thing that I don't get migraines or I would probably be in serious trouble. A co-worker gets terrible migraines and she takes imitrex.

pags
August 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Got them, tried them and they don't work for me so I don't take them any longer HOWEVER they Do work wonders for cramps!

Yes yes -- they do work for cramps! One of the only things I've found that does!

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 11:49 AM
OhMiGosh, I can't believe anyone would chase aspirin (ASA) with pepsi. Do you want to have a stomach when you get older??? Seriosuly, don't do this! Please!! I speak not just professionally - and no one can claim to be an expert on headaches but I have suffered chronic pain all my life and a lifetime of NSAID's (of which ASA is the least potent) left me with the mother of ulcers a few yrs ago and I lost half my stomach. I did all the right things too - took them ith milk which is what one shoudl do when taking any med like that - asa, ibuprofen, etc.

I don't doubt you have headaches Prin but no one who knows migraines would ever recommend tylenol for them. Yours must be some other kind of headache. Migraines are horrible - you are absolutely ill for days. There can be no noise, you are nauseated. Tyleonol would just not cut it - I know NO ONE who has ever been hellped by tylenol for a migraine. There are some newer scripts (zomig for ex) on the market that work fairly well but even they do not help everyone. Yours may be cluster or stress headaches. Consider yourself most fortunate if you can get by with tylenol!

For a headache, I take acetemenophen (generic brand of tylenol). It is manufactured by the same company that makes tylenol so other than the fewer polymers, there is no difference between the brand name and the generic except price. I would prefer ASA - But for its acidic effects - it is a far better medication than tylenol. Tylenol can be dangerous. Too much and your kidneys and liver can be irreparibly effected. Some ppl alas take too much ot it not realizing it is also in other meds - like sinus meds. For ex, when you buy sinus extra strength, the extra strength is not the sinus med (psuedopheredrine) but the acetamenophen.

For really bad headaches, I take acetemenophen with 8 mg of codene availavle OTC in Canada (you can get 2 mg OTC in Calif). The codeine helps make the acetemenophen work better and it also that med also includes a little bit of caffeline which also enhances acetemenophen. (That also explains why pepsi and ASA works well, one helps the other BUT you are killing your digestive system!!). If you have tyo take ASA, drink it with a large glass of milk! Or buy the stuff at Walmart - ASA with codeine and caffeine. Your stomach will thank you.

Trust me - I dtook every precaution and still almost paid for it with my life. I was in heart failure and spent a month in the ICU - and 3 mos with a neogastric tube. NO PEPSI and ASA!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Ibuprofen's safety is up in the air at the moment - it has beeb linked to cardic problems.

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Actually CK,I do take Tylenol with Codine for mine.And yes,it helps big time for me.I also take a Gravol.3 times they where at there worse where I was admitted to the hospital and given a shot of Demeral and Gravol.I have had them since I was 13.My sister gets them,my daughter gets them,my 21 year old nephew from the time he was 6 gets them.With us it is hereditary.We got them from my Mom.

I do switch at times to Advil Gel caps for Migraines.They too help.

Once again,Tylonal works for me and my daughter.

jessi76
August 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
OhMiGosh, I can't believe anyone would chase aspirin (ASA) with pepsi. Do you want to have a stomach when you get older??? Seriosuly, don't do this! Please!! I speak not just professionally - and no one can claim to be an expert on headaches but I have suffered chronic pain all my life and a lifetime of NSAID's (of which ASA is the least potent) left me with the mother of ulcers a few yrs ago and I lost half my stomach. I did all the right things too - took them ith milk which is what one shoudl do when taking any med like that - asa, ibuprofen, etc.

(That also explains why pepsi and ASA works well, one helps the other BUT you are killing your digestive system!!). If you have tyo take ASA, drink it with a large glass of milk! Or buy the stuff at Walmart - ASA with codeine and caffeine. Your stomach will thank you.

Trust me - I dtook every precaution and still almost paid for it with my life. I was in heart failure and spent a month in the ICU - and 3 mos with a neogastric tube. NO PEPSI and ASA!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I appreciate the concern, but please don't presume that I take BC powder & pepsi everyday of my life. You know nothing about my own personal health woes or habits. FYI - not everyone CAN drink milk, and anything with codeine requires an rx here.

wow, thankfully I chose NOT to post what I take for cramps...

ETA - sorry, you were probably advising Prin, understandable!, didn't mean to come off as jerk... meds are very regulated in the states. I was just posting what works for me, personally.

Luvmypit
August 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I get serious Migraines. Imitrex has worked for me. Its only really for people who have that visual warning. My eyes are my first warning, I get no pain but serious distortion, like squiggley lines. Hard to explain.

After that comes the headache, once it progresses, sick to stomach.

I also can't take Birth control because of them. It increases the severity of them and the amount of them. Definatly not worth it. I'll get them once every 2 - 3 months but with BC maybe 1 - 2 times month.

I find that once I do throw up it releases some sort of tension and my head sometimes cures itself. I hate them hate them hate them.

As for anything else... cramps, ect... Advil all the way. They are my saviour for cramps!

mafiaprincess
August 4th, 2005, 12:43 PM
For headaches I'll take some of this and some of that. Whatever we have on hand to kill it, but I also have a homeopathic rosemary herb jar that I'll try to inhale first to see if I can make the pain less first.

For migraines, I'm just screwed. Nothing OTC even with 8mg of codine helps. Advil for migraines was awesome for about 2 years, and then it stopped working.. I was told to take the daily recommended dose at once but no more than that..

Taken hardcore pain relievers until they stopped working *and I wasn't taking them often, so there wasn't really a reason for them to stop*, saw a neurologist and got all 4 drugs from the imitrex family.. All 4 had a serious terrible reaction, 2 of which took me to the ER.

People didn't understand how bad it was till I woke my boyfriend up crying one night I was so nautious and in so much pain. I put off an ER trip cause I thought I'd puke, but had to have my roomate take me after my boy left for work.

Migraines are so so terrible, but after adverse reactions to the imitrex family, my neurologist was unproffesional and told me it was impossible.. even though I'd wound up in the hospital. I have heard of a nasal spray fro migraines that is aparently very effective, I haven't looked into gettign it yet, but I'm hoping that while expensive that it is a solution.

Writing4Fun
August 4th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I get headaches about once a week - real doozies that would have most people running for a medicine cabinet - but I use absolutely nothing. Nope, I suffer through 'em. Why? Because I'm a stubborn old coot and refuse to give in. Seriously, it's because I figure I'll give my body the opportunity to fight it off on its own. If it persists for hours and I can't move for fear of my head exploding, then I'll take a couple Tylenol. Mind you, by then, anything I take is going to make me sick to my stomach, so it's kind of a "darned if you do/darned if you don't" situation. :rolleyes:

Luvmypit
August 4th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Writing for fun I am the same way but I will eventually give in if its unbearable. Migraines are always unbearable. As for headaches often I am and probably most people are just dehydrated. Sometimes if I take a glass of water or two the headache will go on its own. Or eat something. Usually your body is try to tell you either that your over tired, hungry or thirsty.

twinmommy
August 4th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Was going to respond with some wit, but reread your initial post and one serious thought came to mind (what?!! It does happen sometimes, ya know!! ;) )

Don't just pop meds to mask the pain without following up on why you get these headaches. I know you know a fair deal about the body and the way things work so I won't bore you any further :) ...but especially since you didn't get migraines before the concussion.....not good.

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM
jessi76 , I was not making a reseumption - just recommending you don't so it ever! It reminds me of that fable we heard when (well me anyway) I was a preteen that drinking coke and ASA would get you high. It might give you ab ulcer but hardly high, lol I was not judging you and if it came across that way, I am sorry. I am in the business of telling pl what to do with their health so it is an occupational hazard. :) If you have other health probs, pls be careful with how you take meds but I am sure you have had this conversation with your doc or pharmacist.

Codeine is avail OTC in some states (Calif for one) in small amts. But yep, I know my dad - who is used to asking me for advice and he follows religiously a regime of ASA with psudophredrine (sp?) (2 ASA c (wish they had characters for the pharm short cuts like c with a line over it means with and I always use it but can't typing, I'll have to create one) 8 mg codeine and 60 mgs pseudo) for sinus - went to Walgreens ion Fla for codeine and acet and of course they told him it was a controlled substance. He was not a happy camper - I had to bring some to him when I went to visit.

As for migraines, the best thing that ever worked for me for IV Maxeran. It is also avail in tabs but is not effective that way for migraine. Here is a oage oriented to docs but has a fairly good explanation of what works well. I petsonally don't like narcotics for migraine and imitrex is nasty for ppl with high blood pressure. Fortunately, I haver not had a migraine in awhile - I treat it at home with acet and codeine and gravol. Gravol is a pretty potent med actually. I am a little afraid of imitrex but I know it does help some ppl. My best friend lives on zomig tho. She will go lie down in her office and usually the zomig helps her.

http://www.theberries.ns.ca/Archives/Migraine.html

Jackie467
August 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I used to get migranes (not sure why they stopped). I started getting them when I was 16 they stopped when I was about 19. My mother had the same thing happen around that age, it was really strange.

For regular headaches I take Ibprofen. works like a charm, but I don't really get them anymore because I take aleve for my back problems everyday.

When I got migranes I got real migranes. With the vomiting, blurry vision, senensitivity to light and sound and they would last for days. because my vision would go blury about 30 mins. before the migrane actully started my doctor prescribed me imetrex. It worked wonderfully. I'd just take it when I got the blurry vision and I would never get the rest of the migrane. But now that they have pretty much stopped I don't buy the imetrex anymore. I do get an odd one every once in a while, but only about every 3 or 4 months. before I was getting them about once a week, sometimes more.

My doctor think that cafine might have something to do with my mirgranes. But I just can't completely cut it out, though I intake considerably less now than before, so that could be why they stopped.

SnowDancer
August 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I suffer from migraines - run in the family. Only thing that ever worked for me was Vioxx - which of course was pulled from the market, just as I was about to take one for a really bad headache. But, I restrained myself. Quite a few people found Vioxx to be effective for migraines. So now I take nothing. Regrettably I cannot take Codeine. My doctor has tried me on a couple of other migraine meds but they did not work and I get absolutely no warning. My husband takes TOO many Anacin and Extra Strengh Tylenol.

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
It's a good idea to try and find out the cause of the migraines.

Some are not what you think and can be caused by head/neck trauma and injury. Treating the symptom doesn't treat the problem, treat the problem the symptoms go :D

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well, I did go for a ct a few years ago, because my dr said that migraines don't develop- you either have them or you don't. It came out fine, but I went to an athletic therapist who did a lot of work on post-concussion syndrome and she moved my skull plates around over the course of about 6 months, and my migraines are a lot less now. Because of the impact of my landing being on the back of my head mostly, (even though I was wearing a really good helmet at the time) all the bones had shifted backward. So she pushed them all foreward. She also really analysed my helmet and decided that from the impact inside the helmet, without it I would have probably died. :eek:

As I have since learned, the only reason moving my skull bones around was possible is because my skull bones have not yet fused, either because I am below 30 or because I have a rare condition in which they just never fuse (I tend to believe the latter as I still have big cracks in my skull).

Anyway, my head is still incredibly sensitive and if I bang it anywhere, I get recurring migraines for weeks. And they are migraines. I have had headaches all my life, and these are not them. I get such severe photophobia that sometimes even with my eyes shut it feels painfully bright.I don't get nausea though- I never have, because I learned to override that by coping with anxiety attacks all my life...

But because I could never take pills when I was little, and I never had any drugs really, I guess that is why Tylenol is enough for me. I can take one a day and I'm ok. Just one. I mean, if I take the recommended dosage of cough syrup, I get high as a kite. I actually cut off ALL my long hair once after taking cough syrup... :eek:

Jessi76, can't you take your BC with juice instead?

Oh, and about cramps. We need a new word for them. I swear, we do. Men think they're just like muscle cramps and so they're not a big deal. But they're not. They're like your uterus is ripping itself apart. That's a better description than "a muscle cramp". We need a new word for them so that men don't dismiss them as easily. Like Uteroautodestruction. "I'm not coming into work today because I have Uteroautodestruction." Much better.

Oh, by the way, I know I tried to be funny, but I wouldn't have tried if I didn't know everything was alright. :) I do bring myself to the vet, too, you know. :D

jessi76
August 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Jessi76, can't you take your BC with juice instead?

Oh, and about cramps. We need a new word for them. I swear, we do. Men think they're just like muscle cramps and so they're not a big deal. But they're not. They're like your uterus is ripping itself apart. That's a better description than "a muscle cramp". We need a new word for them so that men don't dismiss them as easily. Like Uteroautodestruction. "I'm not coming into work today because I have Uteroautodestruction." Much better.

it's something about the bubbles that just makes it easier to get down (for me), but yes, you can chase it with whatever you prefer, or not at all (good luck there though).

regarding the cramps, there are other words for them, I use endometriosis and adenomyosis, but I like your word best!

another good way to help the migraines.. stop banging your head. ;) *jk*

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
LOL I wish I could stop. I'm also lacking the part of my brain that accounts for graceful and controlled movements... Oh and the part that allows you to feel what direction you're going and which is right and left...

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I think I'm gonna have to try Advil- It's winning by a landslide!

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM
No, no!!!! Not advil - it is just a brand of ibuprofen and recent studies (around the same time as vioxx and celebrex were publicly (NIH and Health Canada has known this for awhile now) criticized, showed ibuprofen can cause cardiac problems.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ibuprofen/adverse_effects_of_ibuprofen_andc.htm

Snd you are not going to take these results seriously are you, lol I mean, you are a science major after all? ;)

A rather well known and respected study conducted by the American Assn of Family Physicians (and NOT paid for by any pharmacutical cos) ranked the best meds for headaches, ASA and Acetaminophen both rec'd a 3+ rating (out of 4) while ibuprofen was well below at 2+ (and that was if one took 800 mg!!!).

The top recommended med for a headache was Acetaminophen + aspirin + caffeine: efficacy rating (on a scale of 0 to 4): 3+
Dose: 500 mg acetaminophen; 500 mg aspirin; 130 mg caffeine (Think an old fashioned bufferin with acetaminophen). The migraine med Isometheptene Mucate, Dichloralphenazone, and Acetaminophen also got rave reviews. Isometheptene Mucate is a vasoconstrictor.

Anyway - ity's up to you and your doctor but be careful!!!

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Maybe so, but Tylenol causes renal failure over time and Aspirin causes blood thinning and stomach ulcers- there is always a risk to taking meds. No med is safe, really.

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Jessi, endometriosis is a disease - it's much more than cramps and actually can cause infertility. It is painful tho!! (I know - I had it!!) Cramps are well , just cramps. The best med has always been anaprox or what is sold OTC (only in US tho, here you need a script), naproxen sodium. I can't think of the brand name off the top of my head - oh, aleve, lol Of course, it did not come out unscathed either in recent studies. :sad: And it an NSAID so like ASA needs to be taken with milk!!! No water, pepsi or juice. Juice is prob as bad as pop, all that acid. <Shudder>

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM
But what for headachees with lactose intolerance?

Luba
August 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Endometriosis is much more then cramps ...do you have it yourself? If you do then I feel your pain, literally!

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM
What I'm trying to say is that what we call "cramps" is also WAY more than just "cramps". You know? Even without a disease.

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Hey!? Where's Schwinn? I just realized he hasn't told us what he uses for cramps.. uh, I mean, headaches. He must have something to say... :evil:

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 04:14 PM
You are right here Prin. Every med has adverse effects. That's why the CPS directory is HUGE, lol I really think - as do most docs - that ASA is one of the best drugs known to humanity and it is better than ibuprofen. Read that wonderful book by Marcia Angell, former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine. She pts out how the drug industry really has developed few new drugs and invented illnesses so that some drugs can treat them - erectile dysfucntion comes to mind but there are others. And then there are companies who seek patents for exiting meds to do other things - like what some call the modern snake oil - gabapentin. It is an anti-seizure med but is now use for chronic pain and all sorts of other ailments. Or drugs like wellbutrin (an anti depresant) are created to last longer and the company gets a new patent!!

I think every one of us needs to find out what works for us and what has the least amount of adverse side effects. I had to take NSAID's - no choice if I wanted to be able to move my body - but they nearly killed me. I no longer take them and instead go thru tortuous denervation procedures where my nerve endings in my lumbar spine are essentially killed by a laser - they do grow back - but that only cuts the pain about 30%. I am left to stronger meds at bedtime or ice or heat.

And actually, I do find - if ASA and codeine dio not work - ice is great for migraines. (if it is not one that an IV maxeril will not help). Codeine is actually one of the best drugs around - not as many adverse effects as other stronger narotics and quite effective. It is much better than some script meds like darvon or talwin (ughhh to the latter).

Anyway ---- that's my rant, lol

CyberKitten
August 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I suffered with endometriosis all my life Luba. It was NOT fun!!!!

melanie
August 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM
oh endometiosis, oh my heart goes out to you, im a lucky girl not to suffer from it as i have a friend who does, and its a nightmare, she spends so much timei n hospital, one day she rang me from the bath tub, she could not get out no matter how she tried, she was in that much pain, an ambulance was the only way to move her. oh you certainly have m,y sympathy, its a horrid condition, i watched a doco the other day on new treatments, its great that they are looking into it so hard, bout time i say...

having never suffeed such cramping at such an extreme level i can say i have never tried taking anyhting for cramps.

and my headaches are so few and far between, there is only ever 1 reason i get headaches, DEHYDRATION. and most ppl i know who suffer headaches have not tried drinking more water so i often wonder if its more common the realised and that ppl should jsut drink more. i know ppl who drink no water at all, one of them always complains of headaches, like i told them its obvioulsy not a brain tumor or it would be checked out so try water, and do they, NO. because its too simple for most ppl, ppl i find like drugs and such, they dont want to admit its becuase their poor brains are starved of h2o. i find many ppl preferto take a pill than actually addressthe issue, such as water, lack of nutrition, etc etc there are millions of natural reasons for minor headaches, and most ppl wont look at it that way. it jsut kills me, many ppl could be pain free if they jsut looked after themselves properly...

but this does not includ ppl who suffer for real medical reasons, instead of laziness or desire for tasty drinks instead of water...

ah rant over

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM
My dad always told me "You don't drink enough" whenever I had a headache. So then I drank and drank and drank. So instead of having a headache, I had a constantly full bladder, big gurgly belly and a headache... :rolleyes:

melanie
August 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM
im lucky, if i have a headache i jsut skull a lite of water and bang, its all gone, i can literally feel my head rehydrating,....

but i drink at least 2ltrs every day so any less and i swear i can physically feel it, my body is dry you know if i dont have it sorta thing......

funny that, i always tell my dad to drink more water, he never does and has heaps of headaches, now maybe he should listen to his brilliant daughter :angel:

Prin
August 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM
That's apparently why north americans are so fat. We tend to mistake thirst for hunger... :rolleyes:

mona_b
August 5th, 2005, 12:59 AM
What I also find that helps for mild migraines,yes I said mild,is Lavender Oil or a scented Lavender candle.With the Lavender Oil I put a drop on each finger,then massage my temples.It does work.

CyberKitten
August 5th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Mona, I have an elderly aunt who is 99 and living in Plymouth, Mass. She used to swear by lavander and also some technique she had of rubbing temples to get rid of headaches, it AWAYS worked. (I used to visit her all the time when I was studying and working in Boston).

She has the best attiude of anyone I know - she is ALWAYS positive about everything - I honestly think that is why she is still here. Mind yiu, we have longevity in my family - good genes, lol - so in spite of my many health probs, I think there is some chance I will survive longer than I should, heheh

In 1991,my respirologist told me I'd need O2 often in 7 yrs. I use ventolin now and again and occasional O2 but that's it. And my orthopedic surgeon audibly gasped when he looked at my spine at a scan - while I was being injected with various and sundry medications to help me walk and keep going for another few weeks. He later said it is not possible theortetically for me to be as active as I am but I figure the challenge of proving these ppl - excellent doctors and friends all - wrong, wrong!! lol I think YY and the kitties are a big help too - which is why I hate to hear pulmonologists and respirologists tell parents and others to get rid of their pets due to allergies or lung probs. I have one of the worst pulmonary situation of anyone and my pets help me more than hurt me. Of course, I amfortunate in that I can hire a housekeeper to do alot of cleaning for me and there is little dander (not much dander from Siamese or Spjynx anyway but most allergens come from the cat's saliva and I swear cats are such mimics. YY likes to kiss me with her kitty tongue and the Sphynx watched her do it one morning and now they both have to do it.

Anyway - sorry to go off on a tangent. I am coping with post traumatic stress and can't sleep and so I am here counting my blessings and playing with YY and Chelsea. (Casey is sleeping, too tired to be curious I guess, lol)

And yep, I would not wish endometriosis on my worst enemy. Before I had surgery for it, I was off work and on ling acting morphine - it's very painful!

jessi76
August 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Jessi, endometriosis is a disease - it's much more than cramps and actually can cause infertility. It is painful tho!! (I know - I had it!!) Cramps are well , just cramps. The best med has always been anaprox or what is sold OTC (only in US tho, here you need a script), naproxen sodium.

yes it is a disease, however, i spent 10+ yrs of my life thinking i just had bad cramps & i was a wuss (cramps sometimes is the only symptom).

CK - I'm glad you're ok now. we should all be so lucky - not being sarcastic, really, i wish we were all that lucky.

sorry we got so far off the topic of headaches. Prin, i hope you found some useful information, and your headaches clear up soon. :)

nymph
August 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Migraines are not headaches, they are much more acutely painful. I used to get migraine attack back in university, for no apparent reason. There was no painkiller that could help me with the pain: I needed to lay down in a completely dark and quiet room and just sleep/rest, it usually went away within 2 days.

For my regular headaches, I use extra-strength Excederin, the only pill that could slightly help me. However since I switched from regular pillow to a memory foam pillow, I hardly have had any headaches anymore *knock on wood*.

For cramps, I use Advil, and it has been working well for me.

CyberKitten
August 5th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Sorry you still have cramps Jessi - I did not mean to minimize them. I know that cramps not associated with endometriosis can be even as bad as childbirth. NOT good.

I do not consider myself lucky tho and while I don't moan about it, I cannot have children as a result of my surgery and I spent yrs in pain with the illness. I opted for surgery only after cervical cancer was added to the mix. You can imagine what that is for someone who loves children and is a pediatrician! At least I work with kids every day but to know I never can have any of my own is heartbreaking for me. No, I am not lucky! But I don't dwell on it. I just do not wish it on anyone!

Prin
August 5th, 2005, 01:06 PM
sorry we got so far off the topic of headaches. Prin, i hope you found some useful information, and your headaches clear up soon. :) LOL don't be sorry. I'm the one who changed the subject. I think I have ADD these days. ;)