Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any ideas of the cross Sprint is?

gdamadg
August 3rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
Hi, I am new and just adopted Sprint from my sister. I was told he was a Boxer/American Stafforshire Terrier cross. But after looking around, I am not sure. Most people pick up on the Boxer, but a couple more breed educated people think he looks more like a pure Red Nose Pit.

Any ideas?

Copper'sMom
August 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
I definitely see alot of Boxer!! I hardly see any Pit Bull in him - unless you want me to refer to colour, but then there are only so many colours a dog can be!

ok, second look, his body looks like a Pit Bull body IMO(comparing how my boy looks). I don't see why people would say Red Nosed Pit. His nose is black, and as for his colouring - i believe it is called fawn. Most red nosed pits are fawn colour, with a nose that isn't black............I THINK! I'm just going off the top of my head here!!

Also, I am NOT an expert by any means as is anyone else. Just don't ask the humane society as they may deem your dog a Pit Bull(if you are in Ontario).

BTW, he's a handsome looking boy! :angel:

StaceyB
August 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM
I see the boxer but not so much the pit. I also wouldn't reg w/ city that you think he is any bit pit bull. The mixes are included in these new laws. The pit bulls come in a variety of colours even red, the red nose does have a red nose if I remember correctly.

gdamadg
August 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks, I think he is a handsome boy too. He is about 3 1/2. He is one of those dogs that people think can not be retrained. When my sister got him a year ago, he was a bit bigger (now 65 lbs.) and has a few scars on him. Was bit of a handfull, very dominant. Now he is a big LAZY baby. Good around kids and other all sorts of other animals.

Yes I am in Ontario and yes they class him as a Pit Bull. He is registered as a Boxer/AmStaff cross. I am not looking forward to muzzling him as he has a sinus problem and pants a lot even on a cool day.

StaceyB
August 3rd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Ya you can see it a bit better in the face. Go to the breed profiles on this site, look under pit bull. The pic they show is a red nose. His nose looks fairly long in the pic, is it.

Copper'sMom
August 3rd, 2005, 09:26 PM
ok, that second picture makes me think twice. I see now why some would say Red Nosed pit. His nose looks a little pinky in colour.

Thanks to you and your sister for taking this poor boy in and giving him the love and training all dogs need!! They are nothing more than big love bugs!! :love: I'm sure you'll find his love so rewarding and fullfilling!

Luba
August 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
OH so cute :D

Def Boxer and pssbly pitty, but darnnnn cute!!

StaceyB
August 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
I went on a search of boxer/ lab because every time I looked at him I kept thinking lab. The boxer is clear but I wasn't so sure of the other part. So anyway I searched online for boxer/ lab pics and found all kinds of them looking just like yours.

Wudjah
August 3rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
In the first picture he looks like a boxer but in the second picture I can see the APBT. But, another breed with that colour is the dogue de bordeaux (french mastiff). Not that I think he is crossed with that, but you could always use it :D
And he is really cute by the way!!!

gdamadg
August 3rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
StaceyB: No his nose isn't that long, I think it was just the angle of the picture.

Wudjah: I thought about calling him a "miniture mastiff", haha. The first thing a friend of mine said was that he reminded her of Hooch from Turner and Hooch.

Copper'sMom: Thank you. And yes his love is very rewarding and fullfilling. We both have a similar personalities, so we get along well. Except for when we fight over who gets more room on the couch. I usually win and he sits on the arm chair and pouts.

Prin
August 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
You don't think he looks more like a dogue de bordeaux mix? Hooch was a dogue, wasn't he? I see dogue in there. Especially the 2nd pic.
Here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18016
And here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14025&highlight=Zarr

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
August 4th, 2005, 12:16 AM
He might have some pit bull in him, but I see boxer and Dogue de Bordeaux.

mona_b
August 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I most definately see Boxer,especially in the face.I also see Pit.And yes it shows more in his body structure.

Sorry,but I just don't see DDB in him at all.

He definately is handsome.

Copper'sMom
August 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
We both have a similar personalities, so we get along well. Except for when we fight over who gets more room on the couch. I usually win and he sits on the arm chair and pouts.

Ha!! I'm a big push over for my pooches! I usually let them have the most room on the couch! I always have to tell my fiance to let Copper on the couch because that's where he wants to lay and Copper usually gets what he wants!!! LOL

Kariia
August 4th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Boxer of course, but he doesn't look as heavy as a Dogue.

I say Boxer and Pitty too, though his forehead wrinkles look like a dogue.

And just thinking, but could he be a mis-colored purebred Boxer?

StaceyB
August 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM
lol, I wasn't saying that he had a big honker of a nose, but as I was looking at him I noticed that his nose was a little longer that both pit and boxer. There are many boxers that are a lighter shade of red like yours. Check online for pics of boxer/labs. You will find some that look just like him.

gdamadg
August 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM
It is a possibility that he is a pure boxer. My grandfather had a pair of pure boxers with very similar colouring and markings. After looking around, I think he definately has boxer in him and if crossed with anything, it would Staffordshire Bull Terrier, not AmStaff. Staff Bulls and Boxers are prone to similar health problems. He does overheat easily and with his sinus problems it matches. With his size and looks he very well could be a pure Boxer.

I think I am going to look into registering him as a Boxer the next city I move to. But that will be in a different province and the city doesn't have this absurd bylaw.

Copper'sMom
August 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
When i see a Boxer, I notice their bulging, large eyeballs :eek: < kind of like that!! There is something about his eyes - doesn't look like boxer, sort of Pittie like but different. I can't put my finger on it! Regardless, he's a great looking dog!!

Most Boxers I have seen, have smaller heads. Don't know for sure........is this the norm for Boxers? But then again, some pits have humongous heads and some don't!!

Oh and I used to get asked all the time...................is your dog a Boxer or part Boxer??

Jackie467
August 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I def. see boxer in the muzzle, but I'm not sure about the rest. But no matter what he is beautiful, I love his color and his ears look so soft.

Oh and I used to get asked all the time...................is your dog a Boxer or part Boxer??

How could anyone see boxer in him? He looks like a full blood beautiful pitty to me.

babyrocky1
August 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM
From the first picture, which is the only one I can see somewhat clearly on this crappy moniter, I definately see the boxer through the forhead and brow? do dogs have brow lines LOL whatever I see boxer and pittie. Bluntman has a "red nose" Im not sure what physical attributes are peculiar to a "red nose" pit bull but someone here should know.

gdamadg
August 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Copper'sMom,

He looks a lot like Copper. Just a lot darker and bigger. I think it would take you to look at him in person to tell for sure.

You have a beautiful dog too.

Akeeter
August 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Are kind of 'colour co-ordinated' . :) They are often more red, red-gold, or red-brindle in coat colour, than fawn, their noses seem to be a few shades of pink off the body colour (like a dark salmon or rusty pink) & their eyes even seem to be a lighter brown, & more rusty brown than the usual dark brown eye colour. Even the exposed skin areas, like around their eyes & inside the ears is often a dark salmony pink, not flesh or pale pink. IMHO, no red nosed Pit here.

To me this dog looks like a Boxer. How tall is the dog? Some breeders no longer dock tails on Boxers. In Europe, many breeds of dogs do not have portions of their tails cut off anymore.

I would say that he is a Boxer, & just skip any speculation on Pitty, given the current situation. :D (Why invite trouble, if you don't know for sure?)

mona_b
August 9th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Here is the face of a purebred Boxer.

When I look at this pic,then Sprints,I still see a mix of Boxer and Pit.Definately not an American Staff Bull terrier.They are much smaller.

mona_b
August 9th, 2005, 12:37 AM
And here are 2 purebred Texas Red Nose.

gdamadg
August 9th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Akeeter: He is about 20 inches at the shoulder and 65 pounds. More typical with Boxer. I don't agree with the AmStaff that my sister had stated. But all of his paperwork so far states he is a AmStaff/Boxer cross. I am unsure of ways of having him correctly identified, as I do not know his parents. Maybe if I took him to a Boxer Breeder and had them spend some time with him?

mona_b: Yes I agree that he has the face of a Boxer and more often than not, he is identified by passer bys as a Boxer. He has that darker nose and face that is typically Boxer as well.

Thank you all for your comments.

chico2
August 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Had you not told me he is a mix,I would have thought Boxer and nothing else,where I come from,Boxers almost always had the fawn colour...
But the again,I am not an expert on dogs...he is beautiful though and I am happy he has a good loving home :thumbs up

gdamadg
August 9th, 2005, 09:41 AM
chico2: He is assumed a mix, as that is what my sister told me. I am going to see if she knows how to contact the owner she recieved him from. And try to trace his origin. Although with the BSL, it doesn't matter, he has that "Pit Bull" look. I love Pits and if he turns out to be part Pit, it won't change how proud I am of having him. He is a wonderful dog.